Help with GM Bolt Part Number

04TBlazerLS

Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
I recently replaced most of the front end components on my 2004 Trailblazer with 146 K. Upper control arm bushings, upper ball joints, both lower control arm brackets, etc. The job was extremely tough, but I'm glad it's done because the rubber in the upper control arms bushings was completely deteriorated! I also ran into an issue with several large bolts that go through the lower bracket to the frame, that are in very sad shape.

Does anyone have a genuine GM part number for these large high torque (190 foot pounds) bolts? I've tried Googling and researching here, but haven't had any luck. I'd like to replace all six bolts with new one's before having the front end re-aligned. Thanks

04TBlazerLS

Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Yes, I saw the post you were referring too, but when I input the part numbers they appeared to be the bolts that secure the lower control arm to the brackets ... not the three large bolts (on each side) that secure the lower bracket through the bottom of the frame.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I hear you. None of the factory authorized sites give a good exploded view or description, at least none I have found. Still, it's not just that post with the information. Over on the TBSS site a member had the same troubles locating a number back in 2013. The same 11518576 number was given and used with success.

*edit*
I have all the parts in the garage as I need to do this job this year. I lined up the bolt in question atop the lower control arm. It's definitely too short to be the arm to bracket bolt.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In the absence of finding replacement Fastener Hardware that are of a Grade 8 or 10.9 Hardness... I'd like to suggest that you spend around $25.00 for a Jug of Evapo-Rust Rust Remover and passively soak whatever Nuts and Bolts you have concerns about in a closed Plastic Containers for a few days.

Afterwards... Use a Brass Brush or a light dressing up with a Wire Wheel to remove all of the Black Oxide Residue that will coat them all. You will be amazed how little damage they will have suffered and will come out remarkably clean...and completely serviceable. Here is where to get the stuff:

Here is How This Stuff REALLY Works:

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
In the absence of finding replacement Fastener Hardware that are of a Grade 8 or 10.9 Hardness... I'd like to suggest that you spend around $25.00 for a Jug of Evapo-Rust Rust Remover and passively soak whatever Nuts and Bolts you have concerns about in a closed Plastic Containers for a few days.

Afterwards... Use a Brass Brush or a light dressing up with a Wire Wheel to remove all of the Black Oxide Residue that will coat them all. You will be amazed how little damage they will have suffered and will come out remarkably clean...and completely serviceable. Here is where to get the stuff:

View attachment 88089

Here is How This Stuff REALLY Works:

I've never seen this stuff but it looks like a dream come true for those of us in the Rust Belt.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I have used this stuff Hands On and COMPLETELY Cleaned and removed every last bit of Rust off of the Steering Knuckles, Upper and Lower "A" Frame Suspension Components in HUGE Containers and done likewise to ALL of the High Grade Steel, Cast Iron Fastener Hardware and there is NO Doubt whatsoever that THIS STUFF REALLY WORKS! Just read the Tome I penned and view the Before and After images of my GMTN Thread "How to Put on Bullet Proof Suspension Paint" to see the results. This is No Hype... It's All Factual!

1554663810129.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric04

04TBlazerLS

Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Eric04
Thanks for identifying the bolt part number I needed GM# 11518576, as I ordered four from a local Chevy dealer. Two of the lower bracket bolts were in such bad shape that I was concerned that they could snap when torqued to the required 177/195 foot pounds when the Trailblazer was re-aligned in a shop. So I replaced four of the total of six. Trailblazer was re-aligned this past Friday and handles like a new vehicle. Amazing difference after all new Moog parts were installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    929.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    638.5 KB · Views: 11

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
You're welcome. I bought a set anticipating mine being in rough shape. A few here have had them snap off so regardless of anything else associated with the job I'll have to be happy if I don't run into that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that bolt was rusted away in the middle it could have snapped for sure. At least it wasn't a weld nut in the frame that broke. I had that happen and had to cut the bolt with a torch from the bottom.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Same here.

04TBlazerLS

Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
The upper control arm bushings were completely shot on my vehicle. Wasn't much left to press out! If I had it to do all over again, I would have just purchase brand new upper control arms as they are easy to replace. After seeing how bad the upper bushing were, I just purchased brand new Moog lower brackets. However, the lower bracket bushing on my TB weren't in that bad of shape. I put the new ones in anyway, because I didn't want to go through the trouble and expense of shipping heavy items back.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Even the lowers is worth it since they come with ball joint, pivot and strut mount bushings.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I recently replaced most of the front end components on my 2004 Trailblazer with 146 K. Upper control arm bushings, upper ball joints, both lower control arm brackets, etc. The job was extremely tough, but I'm glad it's done because the rubber in the upper control arms bushings was completely deteriorated! I also ran into an issue with several large bolts that go through the lower bracket to the frame, that are in very sad shape.

Does anyone have a genuine GM part number for these large high torque (190 foot pounds) bolts? I've tried Googling and researching here, but haven't had any luck. I'd like to replace all six bolts with new one's before having the front end re-aligned. Thanks

I know I'm late to the party for this one, but I've gotten bolt part numbers before right at the gm dealer part dept, many times he'll even give me the printout with the various part numbers on it.

Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online