Help with fuel line fitting please? I’m dying’ here.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey Guys,

Two questions about fuel tank removal.

I know I have to disconnect a line or two and and an electrical connector, then lower the tank a bit and disconnect some other things before I can drop it down entirely.

My first question is can I lower the tank down at all even two or 3 inches before I remove any of those first connectors?

My second question is can anybody tell me how to release this fitting that I have circled in green I don’t wanna break it and I can’t see how to remove it from the angle I’m at.

The manual says to disco the three lines going to the canister which I did so I’m hoping it results in at least one less line on top I have to release before dropping it. I can’t even get the 6 inch filler neck hose disconnected from the tank.

I’m trying but I’m dying. I only have about 12” behind the vehicle to work and no room on the sides so my angle of attack on all of this stuff is very limited. Did I mention it blows?

Thank You for any help.

Attachments

• CC9A955E-D147-41A3-ABEC-E34E7312473F.jpeg
    CC9A955E-D147-41A3-ABEC-E34E7312473F.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 14

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
You need a fuel line disconnect tool.
Any parts store/Harbor Freight will have them.

Chevy GM fuel line disconnect
BTW... I know its hard to tell from the photo, but this is not a metal fuel line fitting. I have a tool for that. Now that it's cleaned up and I got a better angle on it, its a plastic fitting that has two narrow tabs that look like you push up and then pull the tubing apart.

It looks similar to the one in this photo.

Do you happen to know if they make a tool for these specifically for uncoordinated people such as myself?

I'm using a small screw driver to push up the tabs, but I've broken one so far and all but destroyed a second fitting. I have a few more to remove so thought I'd give those a fighting chance to survive my wrath. Thanks

Attachments

• 22144571_nda_8000915_pri_larg.jpg
    22144571_nda_8000915_pri_larg.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 2

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Download...Save...And Watch THIS Video at Half-Speed OFTEN... It has EVERYTHING You NEED To KNOW About Fuel Line Repair, Fuel Line Fitting Types AND The Proper Methods and Tools Required to Safely R&R them ALL:

"Automotive Fuel Line Types & "How-To" Instructions: 101":

This is the Proper Tool and Parts Kit for the Job of Repairing and Replacing Damaged Fuel Line Connectors:

Check out Amazon for your Options to Buy the Right Kit for your situation:

Last edited:
Reactions: jmonica

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Download...Save...And Watch THIS Video at Half-Speed OFTEN... It has EVERYTHING You NEED To KNOW About Fuel Line Repair, Fuel Line Fitting Types AND The Proper Methods and Tools Required to Safely R&R them ALL:

"Automotive Fuel Line Types & "How-To" Instructions: 101":

This is the Proper Tool and Parts Kit for the Job of Repairing and Replacing Damaged Fuel Line Connectors:

Check out Amazon for your Options to Buy the Right Kit for your situation:

Yep, that would make sense. I knew it couldn't be that hard but I proceeded anyway and broke a couple of the tabs. Hopefully I can repair them. Thanks very much for your help man! I appreciate it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomafromZar

Members Online