Help with code P0410 on a 2005 trailblazer

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
So I recently got the check engine light on my 2005 trailblazer lt 4.2 4wd with 122k miles, so I took it to autozone to get scan and it came up with the code p0410 with is infamous with this type of trucks. The guy at autozone put some seafoam threw the vacuum line and the light when away the truck even drove better, it took off faster well 2 weeks later and the light is back on same code "p0410", how do I go about troubleshooting this in other words where do I start. I took the big hose coming out from the bottoms of the air filter on a cold start but coudint feel no sucking, next I try removing the hose in the back of the check valve right next to the transmission dip stick but for some reason it didn't want to come off plus I really didn't have a lot of space to work with any help what should I check next before I start ordering parts, I really hope is the check valve not the air pump:mad::confused: what the best way of testing the check valve any help :confused::confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Between here and trailvoy, there are many, many threads regarding P0410 (and the SAIS - Secondary Air Injection System) that you can find with a search. I've posted a troubleshooting guide a dozen times, so please let me suggest you find those rather than start another thread on the same subject.

But to make sure I'm not being totally unhelpful, there are about five things that can be the cause.

1) The air pump might have gotten jammed or damaged with frozen condensate water.
2) The air pump might not be spinning at a cold start due to fuse, wiring, or relay failure
3) The hose from the pump to the solenoid valve might be full of frozen dirty water
4) The solenoid valve may be failing to open due to an electrical problem or gunk from the exhaust manifold. You must remove the other hose to check for exhaust noises
5) The upstream O2 sensor could be old/dirty and its output voltage changes are sluggish and you diagnose this with a good scan tool

I'm astonished that autozone parts clerks are allowed to touch vehicles as if they're mechanics. Seafoam is a good thing to do regularly, but it is NOT in any way a treatment for a P0410 SAIS problem. A bad SAIS ONLY lowers EPA emissions at the time of a cold start. It has NO benefit during normal driving.

Reactions: TB2004

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Oh, and did you do all the other 100K required maintenance, such as all fluids (tranny, transfer case, coolant, and differentials), plugs, and O2 sensor? Have you been changing your transfer case fluid religiously every 50K?

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Thanks man this site is way more helpfully then trailvoy, and no I haven't I recently purchase this truck about 2 months ago used with 120k on it. The past owner said he took good care of it but I thought it, the first week I had it I replace the fan clutch and water pump witch cost me about $450 bucks out the gate. Now with this code am trying to do my research before taking it back to the mechanic as I m very illiterate when it comes to cars:confused::confused::confused:. I got no clue what's a transfer case but am about to research that as far as the tranny,plugs and 02 sensor I have no idea if the past owner took care of that when he hit the 100k, but I will get to it thanks for the help guys.

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
so i disconnected the hose from the back of the check valve and the fat one that come out from the air filter and had my wife turn on the truck on a cold start, i felt a little sucking out of one and blowing out of the other one but close to none. I think heard the check valve turn on " its hard seens mine sounds like a fucking diesel", so now i know is either the pump it self or the relay before going and spending $100+ on the pump i order the relay ama try that first and check the rest of the fuses, my question is once i get the relay is changing it some thing i can do my self ???:confused:

George

Dec 8, 2011
Malo said:
so i disconnected the hose from the back of the check valve and the fat one that come out from the air filter and had my wife turn on the truck on a cold start, i felt a little sucking out of one and blowing out of the other one but close to none. I think heard the check valve turn on " its hard seens mine sounds like a fucking diesel", so now i know is either the pump it self or the relay before going and spending $100+ on the pump i order the relay ama try that first and check the rest of the fuses, my question is once i get the relay is changing it some thing i can do my self ???:confused:

When you first start it up pull off the hose that goes to the check valve. Listen if you can hear exhaust sound coming out of check valve. If no the valve is bad.
I've changed this valve on 5 different trailblazers. This fixed the problem on all of them. Make sure you disconnect the battery after you change the valve out
View attachment 32187

Attachments

• 4200.jpg
    4200.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 911-003-007.JPG
    911-003-007.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 123

TB2004

Aug 1, 2012
George said:
When you first start it up pull off the hose that goes to the check valve. Listen if you can hear exhaust sound coming out of check valve. If no the valve is bad.
I've changed this valve on 5 different trailblazers. This fixed the problem on all of them. Make sure you disconnect the battery after you change the valve out
View attachment 19443View attachment 19444

Is this check valve normally open or closed? Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Why would you disconnect thee battery AFTER changing the valve?

The valve is normally closed. Upon a cold start the turbine pump injects compressed air into the exhaust manifold to ignite what acts like an afterburner to get the unburned fuel to burn in the manifold and warm up the O2 sensor and hasten the engine computer's entry into closed-loop mode. Where the emissions are less.

johnwvideo

May 22, 2015
I hope I can get some help on this and I apologize if its repetitive. I am new here, PO410 code keeps coming back on my 2004 Trailblazer 4.2, 4 wheel drive 78, 000 miles. I have had the Pump changed part number 215- 454, relay 212-550, and the shut off valve or solenoid as some call it 1257655, yet the light is still on. As well I did a complete fuel injection service !
Now I have to go back to May of 2014 when this started, they turned the light off "while not finding a code" and passed its inspection, I was told No big deal. Only to find out a year later May 2015 that I should have fixed it and it caused my pump and others as mentioned to go bad and too much carbon built up. I understand this is just an emissions issue and in California I would not even have this problem.

Now with all the fix and money spent the light is back on after 20 miles. I have seen in threads that the 02 sensor in the front, not the back can also be the issue ! Yet my mechanic "a new one for me" is saying that the 02 sensor will NOT give me the same code PO410, that if it where the sensor the code will be different. IS THIS A FACT ?

Also he is saying that so much carbon got built up that even after putting in a new Solenoid or shut off valve he cleaned all the carbon everywhere BUT he is saying there is a tube running from the valve into the engine and that is probably the issue, that the head needs to come off to get it thoroughly cleaned of all carbon at that end, and that is the only way to get it. Even after a full injection service
He said I could just let it go and he will help me pass inspection next year, BUT I am sick of seeing the light.. Is there anything I can do?

I hope this makes sense what I am saying, anyhelp is appreciated..

john

Jamess1

Feb 26, 2016
Houston, TX
Why would you disconnect thee battery AFTER changing the valve?

From what I have read you would do that to clear the engine light. Which is a part of this P0410 fault code no one has addressed. Isn't there some procedure you can do to clear the engine light? like turn on and off the ignition 3 times and pump the brake lever, something like that?? Seems a mechanic did something like that in the past.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Jamess1 , is there a question here? All you did was quote an old post.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online