Help with caliper bracket bolt

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I have a 2007 Envoy Denali. I'm in Madison, Wisconsin and am 3 hours from home. A front bolt that holds the caliper bracket to the spindle fell out somehow. I need to know if there is anywhere I can rob a bolt on the vehicle to limp around until I can get it replaced.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I doubt it. If you have a hardware store near you then find a bolt that will fit until you get the right one.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I wouldn't mess with another bolt, you don't want to booger up the female threads....it may be a goofy size/pitch.

If I had to go MacGyver, I would get a 1/4" Stainless bolt and nut and tighten it up but not too tight, just to give it some restriction of movment. That should pass through the spindle and when you tighten it that should keep the female threads safe,

Use a nylon locking nut and a washer on both sides. Lowe's generally has them in the bins at a reasonable length.

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I took a bolt from the rear caliper bracket and put it in the front. It'll get me back to my bed tonight. The parts store said they'll have a new one for me tomorrow. Thanks for the insight though.

Reactions: Mounce

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When you said caliper bracket, I thought the sliding bolt on the caliper, not the big bolt.....my bad. Man, I would definately check all of them. That's not a bolt to wiggle loose unless someone didn't torque it down.

bobdec

Apr 19, 2013
+1 IMO blue thread locker have been used on that bolt. It took about a 2 ft pipe on my breaker bar the get them loose, can't imagine one falling out on it's own. As said above... I'd check the other 3 wheels when you get a chance.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
bobdec said:
+1 IMO blue thread locker have been used on that bolt. It took about a 2 ft pipe on my breaker bar the get them loose, can't imagine one falling out on it's own. As said above... I'd check the other 3 wheels when you get a chance.
+2...wow never seen that happen before

Chuck Bunyon

Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
I found one at the dealership this morning. I'm thinking it wasn't tighten right when I redid the brakes a few months ago. The more I think about it I have been hearing a squeaking and rattling then I hit bumps. It could have worked out then finally fell last night.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Had that happen to me once on my Montana SV6. One bracket bolt fell off, the other loose. Was close to a dealership and fixed it for me at about $130, $20 just for the bolt itself. It was my fault. I now use blue Loctite on those bolts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online