Help with a squeaking noise

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Keep in mind that everything on the driver side suspension wise has been replaced minus the coil but if I’m backing out of my driveway or going over a drop slowly I can hear a double squeak as it goes down then up?
The struts are brand new as are the ball joints, links etc but I have added a leveling kit. The noise drives me crazy as I’m trying my hardest to rebuild it all and when I hear something like this it just PO’s me.
I’m hoping it’s nothing maybe a dry piece of rubber I also haven’t replaced the lower control arm on that side (passenger side this weekend) and I’m more replacing it cause I want the whole suspension to be done a lot more so than i

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
When you mention replacing everything, does that include the Upper Control Arms? When the bushings go bad, they tend to have a little play that causes a squeak. The passenger one is pretty easy to deal with when replacing, the driver side requires bending the sheet metal or grinding away at it to get the room needed to slide the bolt out.

I have a squeak as well coming from my driver side, however its usually over certain bumps/dips in the road. Replacing the Lower Control Arms fixed one of them. After inspecting my UCA, I found the driver side bushing to be pretty dry rotted to hell. Passenger side is getting there but doesn't look nearly as bad. Try spraying some WD40 into the bushing on both sides and see if that helps quiet it down.

If you did new struts, you should have done the springs (you're going that far, might as well throw some new ones in). When I first bought my Envoy every single thing squeaked in the front end. I had one that was particularly bad, which was the passenger coil + strut were blown. Replacing both the strut and coil solved 90% of the noise I was having.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's also the bushing for the sway bar.

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
I replaced the upper control arm on the driver side but still need to do the lower and springs (next weekend hopefully) it just seems especially when I pull out of my driveway where there is about a two inch drop (they have no idea how to pave here lol) the front end goes down and the comes back up and recovers but that noise is irritating as hell!
Trust me I’m in a mission to replace the whole suspension and I’m about 85% there but I could have made something’s easier like replacing the springs when I got the shocks and struts or atleast when I put the leveling kit on smh beginners mistakes I guess lol.
I’ve worked on a ton of my cars but this is the first SUV/ 4x4 I’ve had in 12 years and my last one was a Hummer h3 (ironice I got the same truck with a different body) but I had to do nothing to that but the cosmetics that I added. Thanks for the help

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online