help!!! tune installed won't start

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Just installed my tuned pcm,and trying to do the security relearn,but my security light is flashing and car won't start! Please help!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Assuming it's a PCMforless tune, their FAQ says:

Security relearn instructions are included with your purchase. Try not to read too far into it, just do as it says. When in between steps, allow the security light to turn off before trying to start the vehicle. Also make sure you cycle through the relearn for at least four cycles or until the vehicle starts. If you cannot get through the security relearn, unplug the battery for about 10 minutes and then try it again, or perhaps have a friend try it for you.

Have you done EXACTLY that?

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Been seeing this all day! I went back to the stock PCM
[video=youtube;5pxCyO31bMg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5pxCyO31bMg[/video]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I saw your other thread too (one is enough) How long did you wait during the security relearn process?

I know it's not exactly the same, but when I did a BCM swap with a former member, I ended up leaving my ignition in the "on" position for about 10 minutes while the security light flashed and then it went off by itself. Once that happened, it started like a champ. :twocents:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Yes, that is normal.
The PCM4L tune for my wife did the same thing.

The instructions tell you what to do.

IIRC it's;
1) Turn the key on.
2) Wait for ten minutes until the security light stops blinking.
3) Try to start the truck. If it doesn't start turn the key off. Goto step 1. Repeat up to three times.

Wifey's in fact took all three attempts before like magic it started after 30mins of dicking around with it.
I remember getting fustrated as well, but I trusted the instructions provided.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:laugh: I shared the frustration, except I didn't have any instructions. I ended up leaving it that way while I went to the computer to look up what to do. After I found the answer, I came back, and it was ready to go! :bonk:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
But I waited for more than an hour,and it doesn't stop blinking,and I know be patience but I waited so long for the tune and it's a lot of work and money to sent it back.

greetings John

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
borretje said:
But I waited for more than an hour,and it doesn't stop blinking,and I know be patience but I waited so long for the tune and it's a lot of work and money to sent it back.

greetings John

Did you also follow the instructions in post #2?

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Yes,I even unhooked the battery for 1/2 hour, still blinking and won't go out.

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
busy with security relearn for 6 hours,won't work.
I just bought a 600 dollar CAI!
Tuned pcm is somewhere in my garage.........!
:mad:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Your battery must be almost dead after running for a day without charging and the hvac fans running, headlamps turned on, all other elect accessories running, etc.

I have a silly question.
When your turning the key on , are you turning it to accessories or full on?
Mine had to be full on.
Your security relearn process is acting like the key isn't being turned on all the way.

Here's a top tip.
I have HID's installed and DRL, so to to avoid draining your batt while having the key turned on and having the headlamps draining your batt for at least 30mins, I unplugged the headlamp fuse!
When compete, plug the fuse back in. Save your Battery the stress. :thumbsup:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
No,I turn it to full on!
Headlights,hvac off,battery is fine!:crazy:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Hmmm, ok.

Another silly question.
When you ordered your tune, did you give PCM4L your VIN?

Whatif the new PCM programmed VIN doesn't match your truck?
That's why the security relearn isn't working???? :confused:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I thought of that to,so i double checked the ordersheet and vin matches the car,so i hope they programmed the right vin!!

btw thanks for your help,it's difficult because it's sunday-afternoon 14.00u over here!

also i've been reading a lot about this problem,and i've noticed people who have a problem are mostly non-us and non-canadian,is it possible export vehicles are different?

John:crazy:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Just another question, how many key cycles have you performed and how long was each cycle? after reading your posts I know one was for an hour but how many other cycles between and their duration?

Perhaps try it again from the beginning, turn key on, wait at least 10 minutes, then do this another 2 times without fail on going to 10 minutes. Was one of your key cycles quick to try to start? Worth a try.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
borretje said:
also i've been reading a lot about this problem,and i've noticed people who have a problem are mostly non-us and non-canadian,is it possible export vehicles are different?

John:crazy:

uh oh...
That could be a problem.

Your gonna need PCMforLess for that one then.
Presumably you've already emailed them?

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Yes ,I did but it's sunday and need my car to go to work tomorrow:hissyfit::hissyfit:
Till this time worst investment on my car ever :frown:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
borretje said:

I'm thinking that is very possible. If I remember right, our buddy fadyasha from SA had to have security disabled. The VIN was legit but he couldn't get the security relearn done.

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
That's what i've been reading and a guy from Zweden,but what i don't understand why don't sent one over with the security disabled,costs me 70 dollars one way,so with this one it's 210 dollar!!! Just for usps excl.dutch customs!

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
After a frustrating weekend with the security relearn,i have put the pcm in a box ,very very far away in my garage!!:hissyfit:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Do you have the RPO code AU8 on the sticker in the glovebox? That would indicate that you have the (export) passkey3, and according to my info a Tech2 is needed/used during the 10 minute programming. The Tech2 puts the passkey3 system in programming mode. It says that is the procedure for passkey3 programming whether it's the keys, the pcm, or the TDCM (theft deterrent control module) that was replaced.

If you don't have AU8 none of this applies.

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Thanksssss,thanks,thanks,yes I have that code!
This is the answer I was hoping for!!!!

What should I do now?

Thkx John:thumbsup::wootwoot:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I would find someone with a Tech2 who is familiar with the procedure.:yes:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
So,if i go to a dealer he could do this and the case relearn right away?:undecided:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
And your right ,it even says PK3 on the keys!

thanks!!:smile::thumbsup:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks,could you tell what i should ask or say,because i don't want them to mess up the tune!?

Thanks John:crazy:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
borretje said:
Thanks,could you tell what i should ask or say,because i don't want them to mess up the tune!?

Thanks John:crazy:

I assume it's not under warranty so I would go in there with obviously your stock ECM, then tell them you need a security relearn on a new ECM. They may even let you swap it yourself but it's fairly quick even if they do it.

Around here they charge an hour labor which is a PITA but you can always ask around other shops, I found someone to do mine for $50 when I get it, dealer wants $100.

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
no,no waranty,there's even just one dealer in a radius of 400km,so i don't have a choice,but that's no problem,after the change what should i ask them to program because i don't want them them flash the pcm?:crazy:

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
borretje said:
no,no waranty,there's even just one dealer in a radius of 400km,so i don't have a choice,but that's no problem,after the change what should i ask them to program because i don't want them them flash the pcm?:crazy:

tell them u want ur passkey programmed in ur PCM. we have a local locksmith that does this for half the price of the dealer.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
borretje said:

The manual states that the "official" names for the procedures are:

CKP variation learn (some of us call it case learn or case relearn)
10 minute Re-Learn procedure (this is in the TDCM programming section of the shop manual)

I can't stress this enough, any mention of "reprogram", "reflash", or "update" is NOT in any way, shape, or form what should be done. It sounds like you know what you're talking about when you're talking to us, so you should have no problem explaining to them what you want.

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks!!!:smile:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Problem solved!!!!! Thanks to MAY03LT!
Export Trailblazer do have a passkey3 security ,wich cannot be programmed without a tech2!
Went to dealer this morning,asked him to program it and do a case relearn,he did it right away takes about 20min,I've payed him 25 dollars and the trailblazer is fine,shifts perfect and goes like a bat out of hell!!
I will now put the PCMforless decal on my Trailblazer!!

:wootwoot::wootwoot::wootwoot::thumbsup:
Thanks guys for your support!!

John

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Yup Yup that's Me! :rotfl:! The security light never turned off no matter how long I waited. I kept at it for over a week unplugging and replugging the battery. Over and over again but nothing! My TB was an import from Japan :biggrin:

Anyways I hooked up my scanned and it showed that the vin number was wrong though Kelly had confirmed that she'd done the reflash of the correct vin number. My TB wouldn't take it. I had to send the PCM back and they reflashed again with the same tune but disabling the security.

The car runs and drives great but the security light is always on which is kind of a pain. I figured a workaround to that is that I turn the ignition to on position and wait until the security light comes on, then I run the TB and there you have it. No security light. It's a bit of a pain but that's the only way.

Hook up your TB to a scan tool and make sure the Vin is correct. If it is and won't run then there's a slight chance you're doing something wrong. If the VIN is coming up wrong then you'll probably have to do what I did. :frown:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Hey John glad to hear it worked for you, thanks for updating us with the fix!:thumbsup:

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Yeah,I'm so happy and I love the tune and the Volant Cai,it's not loud except when you open to full throttle!:wootwoot::wootwoot:
When I started reading and googling I've noticed that the problems where in no-us trailblazers,and then you came in,super!!

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Glad it all worked out for you and it is fine. Those pain is in the ass problems like this can really suck . It is nice to know someone is out there that has the answer..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks for updating us really. This piece of info is priceless! Now that that the security was disabled from my Tuned PCM. I'm wondering if I can just go to the same shop that did the case relearn for me. Have him re-enable the security, Reprogram and do the Case Re-learn.

Is it possible? Or would he need another tool other than the Tech-II tool for re-enabling the security part?

borretje

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
I called the dealer for you,and it's easy with a Tech2!
So good luck!
I feel good because this is information that we can use!
I mailed Pcmforless and didn't know this either and they where happy for the update!

Greetings John:thumbsup:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
borretje said:
I called the dealer for you,and it's easy with a Tech2!
So good luck!
I feel good because this is information that we can use!
I mailed Pcmforless and didn't know this either and they where happy for the update!

Greetings John:thumbsup:

excellenttttttttttt!! thanks a million!!!! :rotfl::wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher