NEED HELP HELP - Towing with Rental Truck

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I'm planning a multi-state move next month and this time I don't have the luxury of a second driver to come with me.

I ran through getting quotes with the big 3; Budget, Penske, and UHaul, and only UHaul doesn't specifically forbid a TrailBlazer on the vehicle trailer. Budget and Penske say a TrailBlazer is not towable.

What are my options for getting my ride the heck out of here as cheaply, painlessly, and disaster-free as possible? It looks like UHaul is it and they are by far the most expensive.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I went through the same thing a few years back. I really wanted to tow the Trailblazer but like you, U-Haul was much more expensive. I ended up towing my Subaru and driving the Trailblazer cross-country. I ended up going with Penske and when I picked up the truck and trailer I saw that the weight rating was well within the limits if I had put the Trailblazer on their trailer. I think they add an extra cushion because most people put the vehicle on the trailer and then pack it full of stuff which would then overload the trailer.

Maybe you could call and talk to someone and get somewhere with them.

Reactions: gpking

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I have used UHaul and Penske in the past with no real major complaints, I just always like having options, especially cheap options. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, my only 4-wheeled vehicle is the TrailBlazer so I have nothing else to tow (don't tell them I put my motorcycle inside the truck when I move lol).

The UHaul rep I spoke with confirmed they allow the swb TrailBlazer, and I managed to get the quote down $237 just by changing the drop-off location by a mere 30 miles.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I moved my XUV with Penske. You are correct in them not allowing the longer wheel base trucks. But I just reserved it under my wifes Aztek, which was allowed, and then loaded up the XUV..

Just remember thou, if you get into a accident, you will be on your own, as the truck being towed was not allowed under their policy.

Make sure the tires are aired up correctly, the one I got had 2 almost flat tires.

As far as which one I would recommend. I prefer Penske, Better fuel mileage out of the diesel. But there is such a price difference inbetween diesel and gas right now, it may be a wash. Some UHaul locations try to write you up for every nick and scratch, where Penske doesnt care as much, unless its major damage. The Uhaul also has the much lower loading deck, and a better angle on the loading/unloading ramp.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I prefer the Penske trucks because they’re usually newer. I’ve rented U-haul trucks that I was not sure if they would make it across town or not.

Reactions: mrrsm

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Also remember that most of the LWB and XUV's are pushing right at 6000 lbs. Just need to make sure that you are aware of that. My XUV is 6020 with me in it.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Also remember that most of the LWB and XUV's are pushing right at 6000 lbs. Just need to make sure that you are aware of that. My XUV is 6020 with me in it.
So you weigh 20 lbs?:crackup:

Edit sorry I just couldn't hold that 1 in.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So you weigh 20 lbs?:crackup:

Edit sorry I just couldn't hold that 1 in.

**In my best italian mobster voice**

Who let this guy in? What is you, some kinda chino clown? LOL

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As far as which one I would recommend. I prefer Penske, Better fuel mileage out of the diesel. But there is such a price difference inbetween diesel and gas right now, it may be a wash.

OP said he had a multi-state move; depending on the mileage, the highway mpg will soak up that cost delta (& then some). Other pluses are the torque capability, and being able to use the big rig pumps (very helpful with a long rig, as that will prolly be.) Downside is the risk of towing non-sanctioned vehicle, as mentioned, but if I had towing experience, I'd give consideration to this option.

Funny how Uhaul is the only one that gives the 'ok' to towing the 360/370. I remember when I had my Exploders, I could *not* get a trailer from them, decades after the 'Firestone fiasco'.

I may not have read carefully, but the TB & sibs can be flat towed; any reason why this isn't an option, instead of trailering it?

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
OP said he had a multi-state move; depending on the mileage, the highway mpg will soak up that cost delta (& then some). Other pluses are the torque capability, and being able to use the big rig pumps (very helpful with a long rig, as that will prolly be.) Downside is the risk of towing non-sanctioned vehicle, as mentioned, but if I had towing experience, I'd give consideration to this option.

Funny how Uhaul is the only one that gives the 'ok' to towing the 360/370. I remember when I had my Exploders, I could *not* get a trailer from them, decades after the 'Firestone fiasco'.

I may not have read carefully, but the TB & sibs can be flat towed; any reason why this isn't an option, instead of trailering it?

I thought 4wd & awd had to be dingied. I've always needed a rollback for my Bravada (awd).

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
You're right - the AWD can't be disabled; the 4WD xfr case can be put in 'N'. No '4 down' towing for you. Apologies (I forget about the AWD versions, and really shouldn't, by now)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, it could be possible, I think, it you remove both drive shafts. The differentials spinning is inconsequential.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
As far as which one I would recommend. I prefer Penske, Better fuel mileage out of the diesel. But there is such a price difference inbetween diesel and gas right now, it may be a wash. Some UHaul locations try to write you up for every nick and scratch, where Penske doesnt care as much, unless its major damage. The Uhaul also has the much lower loading deck, and a better angle on the loading/unloading ramp.
I prefer Penske just because they're not UHaul, but I wasn't offered a diesel I guess since I get the 16' truck (I literally got the only 16' truck they had last time). Fortunately, I did get a GMC with Penske. UHaul seems to run more Fords.

The TrailBlazer burns about 35 gallons on the drive, but it's more expensive to tow just because of the cost of the trailer. Fuel cost is negligible at that point. I don't have a free spare driver this time.

Assuming you mean with using a flat tow kit, I don't own one, and also the big 3 prohibit trailers that don't belong to them. Again, I want to follow the rules so I can't be found partially at fault if some jackwad texting behind the wheel causes me to damage the truck.
If you mean by using a rental 2-down dolly, nobody, not even UHaul allows the TrailBlazer on a dolly. I'm backed into a corner here lol. It's 4-up or nothing unfortunately. :frown:

My grandparents flat-towed their 4x4 S15 Jimmy almost 30,000 miles behind their RV with no problems. They just owned their RV so they had no idiot-proofing rules to follow from a rental company.

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Well gentlemen, all went well with the UHaul rental.

The trailer clearly was not happy with the weight and the tire straps were barely big enough (don't count on them holding on an extended trip), but no issues otherwise.

Cost to drive the TB = $100
Cost to rent the trailer = $175
Overall extra cost to tow instead of drive = $75

For the record, documentation inside the UHaul truck says you can haul personal trailers, so you could theoretically use a flat tow kit since the sticker explicitly says so.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mjmcfarl3

Jun 12, 2018
Florids
Had the same problem just over a year ago when I moved from buffalo to florida and then back.
Only the u haul trailer was rated to hold my Rainier. I just don't understand why they dont make the trailers more heavy dury?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online