Help! security lockout after new ignition switch

jhenry999

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Installed new ignition starter switch, No start no lights. Dead battery? When attach cables to jump it horn starts beeping. Removed switch to check white plastic cogwheel position...off a hair...maybe. reinstalled it. still no power. Cant jump battery {if it is dead} because horn starts beeping. Apparently i've activated a Security Lockout. I'm out of ideas.
Can anyone Help?? Thanks.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
If I still had the column covers open I would reinstall the old switch just to see if it then works?

You did not replace the whole lock mechanism right? Just the electrical switch part?

jhenry999

Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
If I still had the column covers open I would reinstall the old switch just to see if it then works?

You did not replace the whole lock mechanism right? Just the electrical switch part?
Right. The old switch was bad. Substituted switch from my wifes 2004 ENVOY XL to prove it...,worked fine...so ordered a new one. Popped it in, cog wheel maybe a little off. Removed and adjusted it to proper position. Back in...still nothing on dash but horn starts barking when i try to jump battery thinking it might be just a dead battery. Is battery DEAD or is something else activating theft alarm {horn} and killing power to car?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, the horn will sometimes do that with a weak battery. Charge it up and/or get it tested.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Try putting the battery in, putting jumper cables on it, and hitting the Lock/Unlock button on your FOB. This should silence the horn.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online