Help Please! P0171 code - Secondary air pump?

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
2006 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 - 132K miles -

The scenario - Had an engine noise that to me sounded like a bearing on a component. Took it to the shop - bad bearing on Alternator - fair enough, it was original to the vehicle. Had that replaced. Driving home at a light get an engine light - Code read P0171 - Mixture too lean - Bank 1

Here's my question - I called my guy back and he said that is usually a vacuum leak or an O2 sensor that throws that code.

In the past 3 weeks, the secondary air pump was really loud. The noise it made seemed to be more pronounced. Since the code came on, i don't hear it at start up at ALL.

AND, when you turn the truck off, THEN you hear the high pitched noise that the secondary air pump normally makes at startup. I will try to get a video of it so I can better explain the situation.

Would this cause that code?
WHERE is this air pump?
Could something have been hooked up wrong?
Can I replace this myself?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Other than the code, the truck does seem to be running okay. I had the code reset and it did come back.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

silverunicorn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Guilty :sadcry:

I took the lazy approach because I was posting from my phone and it's a pain to read through stuff there. Will check out the links.

As always Roadie, thanks!

:tiphat:

Chris

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online