Help please - intermittent failure to start

gunner4X4

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Hellow all. Iam a new member who just bought a 2003 TB LS 4.2L. My problem is some time it turns over and starts and sometimes it dont.When it dont start i have guages lights etc. Just wont turn over like the battery is dead. Wait a few minutes BAM it starts. Dealer tried to tell me it was the chip in the key not sending signal to the start solenoid.Have you guys ever heard of that. Or is dealer blowing smoke in my ars.Thanks for the help..

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The dealer lies like a rug. There is no chip in the key. :hissyfit:

Your issue could be the notoriously unreliable ignition switch electrical guts, which are cheap, quick and easy to change. Or the wiring. Or the starter relay. Or the starter itself.

Do you have a meter and a bit of electrical troubleshooting experience, or would you like to start swapping parts in lieu of troubleshooting? Intermittent electrical problems are indeed sometimes hard to find if they don't happen all the time.

The key chip INDEED. Lying SOS. :rotfl:

Isn't there any short-term warranty with your purchase?

gunner4X4

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
the roadie said:
The dealer lies like a rug. There is no chip in the key. :hissyfit:

Your issue could be the notoriously unreliable ignition switch electrical guts, which are cheap, quick and easy to change. Or the wiring. Or the starter relay. Or the starter itself.

Do you have a meter and a bit of electrical troubleshooting experience, or would you like to start swapping parts in lieu of troubleshooting? Intermittent electrical problems are indeed sometimes hard to find if they don't happen all the time.

The key chip INDEED. Lying SOS. :rotfl:

Isn't there any short-term warranty with your purchase?
30 days. Witch r about up . Forgot 2 mention 2 weeks ago dealer installed new ign switch. Envoice said $56.00 for new switch.Had a 1997 gmc jimmy acted same way as trail blazer . Replaced ignition wiring harness problem was gone.Maby same problem with TB ? ...THANKS Roadie

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
In this platform, statistically it's never the harness. Most often the switch, then the relay, fat wiring to the starter, thin control wiring from the relay to the starter or the starter itself. Very rarely the fuse block receptacle where the relay plugs in.

How often does it happen, and why isn't the seller doing more to fix it on their dime? They have the professionals to troubleshoot it.

If you don't know the maintenance history, you need to change a lot of fluids, especially the transfer case every 50K, and if you're over 100K, the plugs, and it's also time to clean the throttle body. Lots of discussion about required maintenance activity at 100K.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

One other possibility: It doesn't happen often, but I had the problem on a previous vehicle. The battery could have an intermittent short.
There was enough power for lights and radio, but only a click from the starter. If I waited for a while it would start like the battery was new.
How old is the battery?

gunner4X4

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

One other possibility: It doesn't happen often, but I had the problem on a previous vehicle. The battery could have an intermittent short.
There was enough power for lights and radio, but only a click from the starter. If I waited for a while it would start like the battery was new.
How old is the battery?

Thanks for the help fellas. TB has 82,000 miles on her. Took it back to dealer last night. left wife sitting for a while in Kroger parking lot. Dealer said he was going to hook it up agian to computer today. Iam verry close to driving it through the show room window and telling them to stick it

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
gunner4X4 said:
Thanks for the help fellas. TB has 82,000 miles on her. Took it back to dealer last night. left wife sitting for a while in Kroger parking lot. Dealer said he was going to hook it up agian to computer today. Iam verry close to driving it through the show room window and telling them to stick it

They need to fix it or you need to get your money back no questions asked. You might want to get some video evidence in case you need to take them to court for failure to return your money.

A 30 day warranty is pretty crappy if you ask me. Shows how much they care.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
CaptainXL said:
They need to fix it or you need to get your money back no questions asked. You might want to get some video evidence in case you need to take them to court for failure to return your money.

A 30 day warranty is pretty crappy if you ask me. Shows how much they care.

Damn right they should fix it, don't forget they already tried to fix it 2 weeks ago with the new ignition switch so they are well aware the problem existed during your warranty and they failed to correct it. When mine had intermittent no start they changed that switch first and then it ended up to be the starter and those aren't cheap. Don't let em screw you over...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The items in the "intermittent failure to start" troubleshooting tree I posted will not show up on the diagnostic computer. They're straightforward electrical issues. The starter, for instance, is too dumb to have a connection to the data bus. If it's intermittent, it just needs to be swapped.

Recommend you make sure all your interactions with the dealer are kept in a log, so you have something in your hand if and when you ever need to involve a lawyer.

gunner4X4

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
the roadie said:
The items in the "intermittent failure to start" troubleshooting tree I posted will not show up on the diagnostic computer. They're straightforward electrical issues. The starter, for instance, is too dumb to have a connection to the data bus. If it's intermittent, it just needs to be swapped.

Recommend you make sure all your interactions with the dealer are kept in a log, so you have something in your hand if and when you ever need to involve a lawyer.

Thanks Fellas. Gota run before BOSS gets pissy. ill keep in touch.........By the way GREAT WEB SIGHT.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
the roadie said:

Yep, copies of everything, pictures and video are excellent too. I've had many unpleasant dealings with my dealer. When I didn't think things were going right I stared communicating with the advisor and service manager via email and then had most of their BS in writing by them. Once you have enough docmention to show how stupid they are you will have the upper hand. :thumbsup: .

If that doesn't work then you file a statement of claim with the courts. I had to do that once. :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just chipping in my 2 cents, when my starter went bad that's similar to what it did. Was fine, then boom wouldn't start. Got it started up again after a while (I did tap the solenoid with a hammer) and drove it home. Wouldn't restart. Came back later, it started. Later it wouldn't, then it would again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online