NEED HELP HELP PLEASE! 2001 Silverado 5.3 2wd, REAR RAKES LOCK WHEN GOING OPPOSITE OF FORWARD

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Good afternoon all,
Been following this forum for about a year now, and this will be my first post. As stated in the title, this is my 01 Silverado LS, recently replaced rear breaks and rotors. That was like 3 weeks ago. About a week ago, im backing out of a parking spot and hear what sounds like a metal clang. Cautiously drove it and made it home no incident. Next day, I'm driving home from work the engine seems to lose power and stutter(but not limp mode, I know what that's like) and actually when I pull up to a red light the engine violently dies, on top of that when I try to reverse and at certain points even when pulling forward , the truck responds as though the E brake has engaged and it just won't move. Finally was able to get it home by shifting through all gears, hitting the gas , and not stopping. I have an mdi and tech2win at home so I run diag , comes back dtc's if P1860, P0785, P0753, and P0740....had to put everything on hold until last night because of work, I start it up , run scan and it comes back having NO code history and showing no DTCs, aside from the headamp short to ground dtc it's had for a while. But here's the thing. When I try to reverse out of the garage, it will go for maybe 2 to 3 ft, and then like someone has slammed the E brake and I feel the rear brakes lock . No DTCs , nothing, also it seems to be driving okay forward(what little room I'm able to move it. Can anyone suggest where I should begin?Are the two related? I don't even know where to start as I've been dealing with electrical problems with this thing since I bought it last year. Oh yeah, it has 220,000 miles in it if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for anyones help
ONE OTHER THING, the reason I put opposite of forward is because I put the truck in neutral to coast out the driveway , and the locking occured then as well.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Being a 2001, I'm assuming this truck has rear disc brakes. I would start by pulling the rear rotors off and seeing if something has become disconnected inside, such as the parking brake shoe.

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Being a 2001, I'm assuming this truck has rear disc brakes. I would start by pulling the rear rotors off and seeing if something has become disconnected inside, such as the parking brake shoe.
Okay, doing that now, they are a disc/drum combo......I believe the drums are for the ebrake, thank u!

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
The rear brakes on my 04 Trailblazer are the same way. Hope ya find the problem!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Have you checked the new rotors that you put on? Some of them have been of low quality lately and actually cracked, may have been the clunk that you heard.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: Mooseman and Mektek

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Review this linked information regarding that "Cluster of Codes":

Regarding your Emergency Brakes locking up in reverse... Did you at any time press down of the E-Brake Foot Pad and not have it completely release? If so... Please observe these Full Size GM-GMC Truck Emergency Brake Mechanism R&R Videos to become more familiar with its intricacies and how to release one that will not do so without taking direct action:

Part 1:

Part 2:

And finally... Visit THIS Link to my "Flickr-Bucket" Account to Review the Complete R&R of the Rear Brakes (Including Emergency Brake Shoes and GM-GMC Trucks:

Last edited:

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
The clang sounds like something may have let go; you should also check for debris caught between the shoe and the drum surface (two possible suspects are the emergency brake bracket that attaches to the hub with an 8mm bolt and the locking spring clip on the adjuster wheel). You may also want to check the adjustment on the cable tensioner.

Edit: to @northcreek's comment above about quality, an out-of-round drum surface combined with improper adjustment could also lead a shoe to self engage.

The DTC's point to (intermittent?) electrical issues with the transmission; they are a separate problem.
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0785 Shift Timing Solenoid A Malfunction
P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

Last edited:

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Regarding your Emergency Brakes locking up in reverse... Did you at any time press down of the E-Brake Foot Pad and not have it completely release? If so... Please observe these Full Size GM-GMC Truck Emergency Brake Mechanism R&R Videos to become more familiar with its intricacies and how to release one that will not do so without taking direct action:

Part 1:

Part 2:

And finally... Visit THIS Link to my "Flickr-Bucket" Account to Review the Complete R&R of the Rear Brakes (Including Emergency Brake Shoes and GM-GMC Trucks:

Welcome to GMT Nation...

Part 1:

Part 2:

wow , so I just skimmed what u sent there and it described like 75 percent of the issues j have been dealing with since replacing the ignition switch about 7 months ago, gonna read in detail now but HUGE Thanks!!

Reactions: mrrsm

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Part 1:

Part 2:

I will be inspecting the rotors today....
The clang sounds like something may have let go; you should also check for debris caught between the shoe and the drum surface (two possible suspects are the emergency brake bracket that attaches to the hub with an 8mm bolt and the locking spring clip on the adjuster wheel). You may also want to check the adjustment on the cable tensioner.

Edit: to @northcreek's comment above about quality, an out-of-round drum surface combined with improper adjustment could also lead a shoe to self engage.

The DTC's point to (intermittent?) electrical issues with the transmission; they are a separate problem.
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0785 Shift Timing Solenoid A Malfunction
P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical
thank you, very helpful, at first I was concerned that what I was experiencing was solenoid failure causing it not to shift properly....
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Part 1:

Part 2:

Awesome stuff , ty, at E brake question, no I'm like 100 percent sure I released all the way but ill double check

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
If your brakes check out ok I'd be tempted to pull the cover on the rear differential. The bolt that holds the cross pin in place could have sheared off and the pin might be hitting the housing inside. With your truck being higher mileage it is a possibility.

It wouldn't explain the stalling it was doing though. It could be that you have two different problems.

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
If your brakes check out ok I'd be tempted to pull the cover on the rear differential. The bolt that holds the cross pin in place could have sheared off and the pin might be hitting the housing inside. With your truck being higher mileage it is a possibility.

It wouldn't explain the stalling it was doing though. It could be that you have two different problems.
agreed , which is kinda the conclusion that azswiss brought up as well, so keeping yall in the loop as I go, proponents of thread locker get a nod....the lower caliper bolt on the rear driver side has worked its way out(pictures attached) , now I'm no nuclear physicist, but im pretty sure jts not supposed to be gone....anyway, off to the salvage (or hardware store) gotta get me an 18 ml bolt(and threadlocker) then we'll get her back on the road and I let yall knw what if anything occurs. thank everyone...

Attachments

• 20220316_125204~2.jpg
    20220316_125204~2.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220316_124846~2.jpg
    20220316_124846~2.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220316_125422.jpg
    20220316_125422.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 19

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
The rear brakes on my 04 Trailblazer are the same way. Hope ya find the problem!

U never got it fixed?
Oh, my bad! I didn't mean that my brakes are locking up. I meant that my brakes have the rear disc/drum setup as your Silverado, disc brakes with an internal parking brake in the middle.

Reactions: jakster918

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Permatex "Orange"... Don't Leave Home Without It... ;>)

49431920107_f04d92ecfd_c.jpg49432061277_4cb2af11e0_c.jpg49431837886_db581a9cf2_c.jpg

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
Oh, my bad! I didn't mean that my brakes are locking up. I meant that my brakes have the rear disc/drum setup as your Silverado, disc brakes with an internal parking brake in the middle.
lmao, gotcha ,i was sittin here like.....did they just abandon the vehicle......

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma
So at this time .....no codes...(brake indicators still lit but its been that way the entire time ive owned it) .......replacement bolt and threadlock got me back to good , took her out this afternoon, this truck is so fun to drive, i love it, eletrical probs and all....thanks everybody!!.....will keep yall posted if something occurs for shore

jakster918

Original poster
Nov 27, 2021
Oklahoma

Agreed , im still waiting to see if that happens again......

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online