Help me pick between Grabber HTS and Destination LE2

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I can get the Grabber HTS for $120 plus there is a $70 rebate when you buy four, which is good for the rest of this week. I can get the Destination LE2 for $124 as Firestone puts them on sale once a month for 10% off, but no rebate. I have a set of Grabber HTS on my Envoy XUV now. Three have about 64K on them and are pretty much flat with the wear bars. One tire is only about 2 years old and still has 20K-30K left in them. I had to replace that one due to a side wall puncture. So, if get the Grabber HTS again I essentially have a matching spare if I need it down the road. I was leaning on the Grabbers again until I noticed Tirerack shows the Destination LE2 as the new #1 tire. Are they better than the Grabber HTS, do they last long? The Grabbers have worked fine for me. More miles would be nice, but at 64K I cannot really complain. Also the truck only goes on the highway and city roads, so I don't think I need an all terrain tire or the added cost of one.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have not been a fan of Firestone ever since my last set had bulges form in the side walls and they would not accept them back. That however was about 8 years ago, but their customer service was horrendous. Mr. Tire ended up eating the cost of the tires, they had under 300 miles on them.

Also have you looked at discount tire direct. I just got them to give me a killer deal on a set of Pirellis. Beat tire racks shipped price by over $50, and I still get the $70 rebate.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I do my fair share of tire homework. These two are real close. I only considered the General personally because I know other trucks with them and they hold up. I bought Michelins because I offered to pay more than the Generals if he cut me a deal on the Michelins after he was pushing all the extras. Both are good tires, but I'd go with General. Unless the guy/gal cuts you a deal on some Michelin Cross Terrains or LTX's lol. Grabber HTS ftw

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
The Grabbers HTS price is from a local discount tire store. The Destination LE2 price is from a local Firestone store. So far no local or online store has beat those prices. I have one more place to call today. They both seem really good for the money, but I cannot find a direct comparison of them.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Comparison? This is from user surveys. Don't be misled. The reported miles are crucial. Generals have over 15million reported miles and still in top of class. LE2's are new. More than likely a great tire because it is an updated version of an already existing tire, or was.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

Any of the top 7 can be considered a good bet. Just depends on personal preferences and budget from here... :thumbsup:

I am rolling on LTX m/s Michelins :twocents:

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah the lack of miles reported on the Destination LE2 is a concern. Also the old LE tires had a totally different tread design. So, I am not so sure how much the new ones compare to the old ones. The Michelins LTX always seem to be recommend. I just have a hard time letting go of that much money all at once. :eek: They would have to last over 100K for them to be worth it to me. I will say if I got a tire that cost that much and lasted that long I would get a road hazard protection plan for sure. With the Grabber or Destination LE2 I will just take my chances.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I just put a set of LE2s on

full disclosure, I previously paid for a lifetime allignment at firestone, which they have applied five or six times, including after struts and tie rod end replacements (and just after putting this tires on).

:wink:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Lifetime alignment is always a steal if you use it! :thumbsup:

Maybe the miles are Firestone Faithful who upgraded and immediately felt something better?
I can say they didn't just slap a "2" on em. The whole design is different, but compared to the General, and General's rep (Ford Exploder anyone?) :rotfl: I chose the HTS as ugly as they are

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
I have the old LEs and i will honestly say that once they are worn out they will be replaced by Pirellis, Generals or Goodyears. The LEs packed up too easily in sandy mud...which is a BAD thing considering thats one surface i drive on a lot. In fact i posted pics of me flipping the bird towards the LEs on my truck one night in the whore thread lol.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I have run General Grabbers in the past with excellent result.:yes: I have GY Forteras on their now because they were practically giving them away when I needed to purchase (<$100 per), were it not for that...I would be rocking Generals (eventhough they are not USA based...I dont think any tire is any longer with Cooper being sold recently?)

I also just bought my first pair of snows for my almost 12 yo rig.....I have a teen driving it now and winter here can be severe....I bought....General Altimax Arctics. I will report back on those once the snow flies and I get some seat time. Damn kid always wants to tool around in my ride now!:hissyfit:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I haven't used either, but between the two I would blindly go with the Generals. I don't really hear terrible things on General tires and the tread looks somewhat quiet but treadwear and MPG's should be a concern, surely research this. One thing about the Tire Rack reviews is sometimes you will see the same review on another tire of the same make and similar model....very annoying.

What's your budget? I have the Continental LX-20 and freaking love them. Coming from the Michelin Latitude Tour I would likely still buy the Conti again, not to be confused with the standard Cross Contact.

That being said, if you drive a lot of HWY miles, don't hold back on $50 per tire if the better tire nets higher MPG, Like LRR or "Green X" it will even out before half the tread is gone at just 2 MPG.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My truck had new HTS's when I bought it August 1, 2012. The tires ride good, have great traction in the wet and dry, and even did very well in the snow over the winter when I used 4WD. I will certainly have these on my short list when I'm shopping for tires if they are still being sold. I'm getting 14 mpg with 80+% city driving and all short trips. A trip to TN saw 18 mpg with the cruise set at 75 and the a/c on.

I have nothing to compare them to on this platform, so take it for what it's worth.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Can't say anything about the LEs but the Destination ATs are pretty darn good IMO :yes:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sparky said:
Can't say anything about the LEs but the Destination ATs are pretty darn good IMO :yes:

Future mother in law goes through the At's like crazy. They are the cheapest tires installed at the local Mr. Tire, and she might get 20k-25k miles out of them. Thats with proper rotation and alignment on an 01' Dakota.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Future mother in law goes through the At's like crazy. They are the cheapest tires installed at the local Mr. Tire, and she might get 20k-25k miles out of them. Thats with proper rotation and alignment on an 01' Dakota.

What is she doing to them? I have 65k on mine and still have some tread left :confused:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Cheap AT's will wear faster, 20k no problem, with fast driving, hot temps, and aggressive cornering. How worn? Evenly bald across the foot print or? Keeping your speed down and psi at the right spot, doubt she checks it weekly, will get you 62k on a 50k tire :yes: I have also worn 50K all seasons in less than 30K easily.

cheapest one they had too. Maybe not as "cheap" as the other store.

Add: Michelin's AT have reported close to 100k on them. I wonder if old guys in pickups just take it a little more easy than the rest of us? $/mile, most tires are close to each other.

emedlin

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
gmcman said:
I haven't used either, but between the two I would blindly go with the Generals. I don't really hear terrible things on General tires and the tread looks somewhat quiet but treadwear and MPG's should be a concern, surely research this. One thing about the Tire Rack reviews is sometimes you will see the same review on another tire of the same make and similar model....very annoying.

What's your budget? I have the Continental LX-20 and freaking love them. Coming from the Michelin Latitude Tour I would likely still buy the Conti again, not to be confused with the standard Cross Contact.

That being said, if you drive a lot of HWY miles, don't hold back on $50 per tire if the better tire nets higher MPG, Like LRR or "Green X" it will even out before half the tread is gone at just 2 MPG.

The General Grabber HTS tires are LRR tires, so I don't think another tire will improve MPG much. My budget is pretty much just the best tire for the money which for $120 each and a $70 rebate which makes them $102.5 each seems to point to the Grabber HTS. Going to order them the end of the week. The last local tire place I called wanted $170 for either the Grabber HTS or the Destination LE2 tires. It is amazing how much prices can vary on tires.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
emedlin said:
The General Grabber HTS tires are LRR tires, so I don't think another tire will improve MPG much. My budget is pretty much just the best tire for the money which for $120 each and a $70 rebate which makes them $102.5 each seems to point to the Grabber HTS. Going to order them the end of the week. The last local tire place I called wanted $170 for either the Grabber HTS or the Destination LE2 tires. It is amazing how much prices can vary on tires.

Yeah that definitely sounds like a good deal then.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online