NEED HELP Help me love the front end of the Yukon..

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
As some have already read in the Tech section, "we" recently acquired a 2011 Yukon XL. Aside from missing several things compared to the Suburban we looked at, I can't help but not like the front of these things.. I've dubbed the truck 'Herbie' since it looks like it's staring at you with big eyes and dopey smile. It's unrealistic but I've already got a watch list full of Suburban parts. The fronts fit the Envoy, but stretching it to make it 'fit' the Yukon was just lazy design in my opinion. Yes, I know, they still sold a crap load of them.

Hey guys! Wanna play?!

Just looking for some idea's that don't cost x,xxx to do. I was looking at continuing the black/white combo with an all black mesh grill and black headlights (which I think the burb could easily do) but there really isn't a good style for this type of light housing. Plus, I think the white is only going to amplify the 'Herbie' look.

Something like this for headlights
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glossy-Pia...ash=item51cec569e5:g:IxQAAOSw9mpaFSul&vxp=mtr
or
Same thing without the black lens
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-07-12-...371301688774?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

ehhhh.. Looks like they tried using the same type of halo on the suburban's but did not succeed. On the white.. I'm not digging it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-12-Yuko...ash=item5903f6c26a:g:1rgAAOSwcOFaP71~&vxp=mtr
VS
Suburban halo headlight I saw on a truck that I thought looked really good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blk-2007-2...IC-DRL-LED-Projector-Headlights-/361565167698

This was the closest I could find with the black grille and black headlights.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2008-...ash=item41ac3bce4d:g:wbEAAOSwMQBaAeom&vxp=mtr

Not same color but maybe the look is better? hard to say.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-2007...D-DRL-Projector-Headlights-Pair-/382118370093

Thanks for any help, tips or just giving me a place to vent. Go married life! lol
Outlaw

Last edited:

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
1515858466034.pngTheres really not too much you can do to it,.. maybe a headlight change,..billet grille1515858812113.png

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You either are going to love or hate that front end... Me, I hate it.

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
You either are going to love or hate that front end... Me, I hate it.
Yea I agree,... I put a billet grille and smoked bug deflector on my 02 Sierra bc I never cared much for the sad puppy dog look, lol,....it helped a little

Reactions: djthumper

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
One of our members did a swap with some slightly different lights than the ones you found on his Denali. Looks like you're definitely limited on your options for modding without blowing a lot of $$$

IMG_9320.jpgIMG_9325.jpgIMG_9327.jpgIMG_9328.jpg

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Any of those projectors likely aren't too great light-output wise. For some reason, these companies always seem to fail to put good projectors in things and the cutoff is weird, or beam is narrow, or something. I also wouldn't get a black lens - another good way to lower light output.

Could likely retrofit a nice big bixenon projector in the stock style lights.

I've usually preferred the Chevy fonts over the GMC fronts. Just me.

Reactions: djthumper

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I absolutely agree with all of the above. I've been trying to think of ways to change it on the cheap. The only thing so far is some sort of eyelid over the top portion of the headlight.. Using blckshdw's post, it'd be the top 1/3. Just have to make sure it's not blocking a turn signal or something required.

I wouldn't get the blacked out lens.. like you said, too much light block. I still need it to be functional.

That fabfours is nuts! I wish I could get the bumpers, would look badass.

That last pic above makes it look like it's waving :smile:
Those lights don't look bad with the chrome housing (seems to be the only one that looks OK on the lighter colored trucks.) with light smoke lens.

The below looks so much better...So much regret :smile: May just have to get a part at a time and/or check the yard for a rollover or something (found a matching white full front clip. Only 3700 plus shipping! lol.
742893238bb96572677809d428e4dc42x.jpg

:sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry::sadcry:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only thing so far is some sort of eyelid over the top portion of the headlight..

There you go.

s-l1000.jpg

Oh, EYELIDS, not eyelashes. :dielaugh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think escalade headlights fit. Would have to double check me on that though. This is the body style that I liked the Chevy trucks better on. Neither were great both were pretty lazy redesigns actually. Interior got a nice update but the exterior seemed rushed. Other then the metal inlay there isn't much that can be done. Are these the body style that the bug deflector doesn't even run the whole length of the hood? I don't remember.

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
The chevy grille posted above does look alot better.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Mooseman
Haha to the eyelashes.. Would certainly give a talking point. I would doing pink accents before that though. I've actually considered it too on F350 for some accent peices under the hood. On the Yukon it would be the badges.

littleblazer
Good tip on the escalade. Just looking online, the escalades look to have angles where the yukon is rounded.

Shaw520
Simply agreed. So much sad face.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Had to post this. Found it wearing glasses and had a good chuckle-
1515982332124.png
source linked to walmart but I couldn't find actual source link.

I was thinking maybe just changing out the bumper or adding a bull bar (nothing like above) to help take some of the attention away. This SHOULD cost significantly less than swapping the front clip. It doesn't look too bad adding some corners.
1515982641233.png
Source-https://www.bodykits.com/i-24356254-gmc-yukon-duraflex-fn-style-front-bumper-cover-1-piece-112128.html

I think something like the Envoy ones @rizzo20 posted might work. Hoping it was OK to re-post pic.
1515982511044.png
source-https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/rizzos-08-envoy-denali.16900/#post-550783

This is for the grille but the bumper changes the look for me. I'm not sure I want to lose the lower fog/driving lights though.
1515984146999.png
source- https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATTE-BLK-...ash=item5d6951c0ad:g:UbkAAOSwCcZaAnJl&vxp=mtr

And for the best photoshop. Sorry it was snowing and didn't want to move the truck because I'm lazy. Also, I didn't have any tape to make the "eyelid" to see what it looked like. This is the result.

Done for tonight. The search will continue. I will probably spend more than I want anyways, but I must succeed. :smile:

Thanks for playing along,
Outlaw

Reactions: rizzo20

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
So... Looking at front clip swaps, it looks like it's definitely time consuming (busy weekend?) but overall difficulty is low if you're competent with standard tools. Hmm.. lol not anytime soon, that's for sure.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I say do Denali upper and lower grilles and get a nice retrofit done...no eBay lights.

Thanks. You thinking the factory chrome, black or white?

1516248789139.png
source-http://www.2040-cars.com/gmc/yukon/2011-gmc-yukon-denali-sport-utility-4d-custom-159940/

1516248849766.png
source- https://www.gravityautosmarietta.com/2011-gmc-yukon-xl-denali-c-775.htm

For the 2 pics above. I actually like the chrome look better and I'm not a chrome fan. Although, it does look OK on white/lighter colored vehicles.

Below, mmm That sierra front end. lol The black grille with the chrome headlights doesn't look bad.
1516249075731.png
source- http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/2011-2016-non-powertrain/348001-painted-denali-grill.html

And is it just me or does it look like the Suburban fender (matches yukon) would fit the sierra headlight, maintaining the matching wheel wells but keeping it "true" to it's brand? The first thing that comes to mind would be the fender lines to the upper bumper trim though.

Dang! See what you started!

jk

Thanks,
outlaw

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
On white I personally prefer the chrome. The white males it not be obnoxious and stand out too much. I would also plastidip the red portion of the GMC emblem black or you can get a billet replacement.DSC01437.jpg

Reactions: outlaw

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That one has a retrofit too.

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Dang! Looked up some non-ebay lights and 700-1000+?!!? I do agree though, that Denali @dna59 posted is really nice looking and a black gmc emblem would add a bit more. :thumbsup:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
That cost would be a first time attempt I assume. While I consider myself capable with tools, I fear something like this would take me a couple tries. 300-400 isn't horrible for something like that but if I fail the first time.. lol

Anybody know if the the silverado/sierra fenders fit the suburban headlights?
- In pictures:
- it appears the silverado may be more squared off on the fender side
- it appears the sierra may have same overall shape but the upper corner is more rounded, where the suburban comes to a point (easier to fix than silverado).

If the burb fender would work with either of the headlights/mounting above, this would potentially "fix" the mismatch fender problem we have when doing the front end swap. May have to make a day out of the junkyard to play with some parts.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That cost would be a first time attempt I assume. While I consider myself capable with tools, I fear something like this would take me a couple tries. 300-400 isn't horrible for something like that but if I fail the first time.. lol

The only additional costs for retrofits are mostly time, energy and patience. The most expensive pieces are the projectors themselves, then the headlights. So unless you have a fit of rage, and smash them with a hammer, or chuck them against a cinder block wall, you shouldn't have to replace them.

Usually whatever parts could get damaged, are the pieces you need to shape/trim so things fit. Anyone who's done custom work will tell you, if you aren't able to measure and cut precisely, do a little bit here, test fit. Cut/grind a little bit more, test fit again. Lather, rinse, and repeat until you get an acceptable fit, and then move on to the next step.

They make several versions of threaded shaft projectors which are the easiest for first time retrofitters. If the shaft doesn't fit through the bulb opening of the reflector bowl, you just need to enlarge the opening with a rotary tool until it fits. Unless you're trying to get fancy with extra LEDs, halos, or special circuits, that could be the only irreversible change you'd be making. :twocents:

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks and that makes a lot of sense. I'll be honest, I haven't seen or researched DIY retrofits so it seems worse than it probably is. I will have to look up some video's and maybe jump into the deep end to learn how to swim.

Reactions: Blckshdw

outlaw

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
For those that hadn't followed my post in the tech discussion. The best way to fix the look is to replace the truck. :biggrin:

Thank you for all those that contributed to this thread, hopefully it will help someone not willing/able to replace the whole thing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher