Help me choose a TrailVoy! :)

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Hi Everyone. I am brand new to this site, but not to online forums. I have been a longtime member of some Camaro and Firebird forums (Since I have a 95 bird that nothing is stock on it anymore). Anyway, I know the unlimited knowledge that is available from other enthusiasts. So, I thought I would come here since I am looking to buy a TrailVoy.
smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.J4lf1ahEI7.gif

Background: Im looking to get a TrailVoy after many years of schooling (I have my MBA now, and student loans suck.) I have a 98 bonneville that has served me well, but now it is time to sell her and get a vehicle that can tow my toys. I work for a large "Big Boy Toy" manufacturer now, and Im ready to start collecting toys again. As I do, I will need to haul them occasionally. Hence my need for the TrailVoy. I used to work for a GM dealership for 10+ years, so I know the TrailVoy is a solid platform. I know that there are some issues, like the 4.2L exhaust manifolds cracking, and the 5.3L DoD piston rings gumming up. But it has honestly been so long since I worked there that I dont remember everything, and hence why I am coming here to ask for help!
wink.gif.pagespeed.ce.ghlfFXOmmD.gif

So, I want a TrailVoy. Lets look at the must-haves:

I want good commuter gas mileage
I dont want all wheel drive, but I do want 4x4
I want the ability to two a two place snowmobile trailer without issues

So far, my research tells me that the 5.3 gets pretty close to the same mpg as the 4.2, with the benefit of towing with ease.

Can people help me really understand what a 4x4 will get mpg with each motor? Im looking to see differences really at 60mph, 70mph, and 75mph.

What gears are better suited with which motor for mpg and towing? Does 3.73 hurt the mpg over 3.42?

What model years had the better motors? I think the 2006 had more hp in the 4.2, but outside of that I have no clue.

At what kind of mileage do these things start to nickel and dime you at?

What known issues should I look for as I go look at these things for sale?

Price is a factor as well. Like I said, student debt is killing me. I'd really like to spend about 5 grand ideally.

I do not was the EXT model.

I have been searching for the V8 and man, those are rare! I found one with 16xxxx miles, V8 but 3.42 gears. and it is still 6500 bucks.

I dont want this search to take forever either, so I may have to start settling too. I am just trying to figure out if that inline 6 would be good enough to settle on if I have to.

I am also trying to figure out how much it might cost to swap out to 3.73 gears if I find a decent rig with everything I want and just has 3.42 gears.

Please ask questions as we go through this, and help me narrow down what I should be targeting my search to as I go through this! Or, provide me things to think about. I do want real world applications, because I have already looked at EPA gas mileage on these.
biggrin.gif.pagespeed.ce.OJZRqB7rEA.gif

Lastly, a BIG THANK YOU to everyone for assisting me. Nobody's time is free..
thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.t_qHhiLIdn.gif

Einst-Hawk

Jan 31, 2014
Welcome to GMTNation. Your questions are beyond what I can offer at this point. It won't be long before The Gurus show up though. Just wanted to say Welcome.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
3.42 gears will give you an extra mpg or two if you drive for mpgs. '06 I6's got a hp bump to 290 from 275. A little higher compression too I believe.

I can say my '05 4.2 4.x4 with 3.42 gets 20+ mpgs@60, 18ish at 70mph, and about 17 at 75 when the driving is flat.

If you get 4wd you will need to swap the front and rear diffs out to change to 3.42 from 3.73.
I have 133k and owned it since 17k. It has never really nickle and dimed me except at the pump.

Honestly get the one you feel best about, newest and cost wise, in a color you want :thumbsup:

You can repair anything on it if need be with this site!

Gearheadvr4

Apr 17, 2013
I've got the SS and an i6 4x4 EXT. They act like totally different vehicles. The SS is just a lot more fun for me... but is horrible on gas compaired to the i6.

If you had to choose the 5.3 or i6 are booth good, just find the best condition car you can with the lowest miles.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you get a 5.3 SWB you will still yield decent gas mileage especially when towing. The 3.42 will yield a better highway mpg. 3.73s would give a good all around mpg.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Welcome!

My trailblazer has the I6 with 3.73s and best I've ever gotten was 18mpg. That was all highway. I typically get 15-16 with combined driving.

The short wheel base v8s are hard to find. The Saab 97x seems to be more likely to have a v8 in the short wheel base, but I don't think they have the 4 wheel drive option, just the auto 4 wheel drive. Plus they cost more because of the Saab badges.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
lots of good info thus far. Thanks everyone!

I have a 95 firebird that is on crack, so I dont want the SS.. although it would be fun. :biggrin: I already have one speed demon that loves the fuel.. Now it is time to buy an economical vehicle that can pull my toys.. like a two place sled trailer or a couple motorcycles. I dont do any heavy pulling, so this wont get that kind of duty.

However, it will pull stuff from time to time, so Id like a decent setup for that. And, that is the thinking behind getting the V8, as it only gets about 1 mpg less than the I6 in the 3.42 gears.

So, should I be looking for a V8 with 3.42 or a I6 with 3.73? Is that kind of what I am hearing?

I am concerned with mpg's, so I would like something that gets good fuel economy first, but still has the pep to pull stuff when I need it.

Thanks again everyone!!

mrwitty_1

Jan 28, 2014
Welcome to the Forum. I have found a wealth of knowledge here and spend hours reading.

I love my 02 Envoy and after working the bugs out of it I am averaging 15 mpg all short tripping to and from work no highway miles on winter blend fuel.

The Envoy has 190,000 (+) with a 4.2 and 3.42 gears.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
polarisn1 said:
I am concerned with mpg's, so I would like something that gets good fuel economy first, but still has the pep to pull stuff when I need it.
Welcome to the site!

As far as what mileage these trucks start to nickle and dime us, there isn't enough consistent data to put a number on it. Some guys breeze to 200K with no problems outside of normal wear items, while others are already deep into repairs by 100K.

If mpgs are a dealbreaker, I wouldn't buy a TB/EV. I've got close to 20 but that was all highway. Stop and go driving kills our mileage. I don't do much stop and go myself, but reports by others put it in the 12/13 range. I've seen a lot of buyers remorse posts over the years because of the stop/go mileage.

I'm a big fan of this platform and love my TB, but I have to be real about what you should expect, even if it points you to a different platform.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Welcome to the nation!

IMHO, you should go with the 5.3, but I'm a bit biased. I've owned a LWB 4.2 and a SWB 5.3, the 5.3 is more fun and gets about the same gas mileage. Get a tune from PCM of NC and get an extra couple mpg and a few extra HP. As far as exact numbers, I've got nothing for you. Ultimately you need to factor in type of gas, age of spark plugs/wires, wear and tear on major engine parts, type of oil, you know the drill i'm sure.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
This is why I love coming to message boards. Real world information helps out tremendously when it comes to narrowing down what I should be looking for. Surprisingly, I am hearing that a V8 will get just as good of gas mileage as the inline 6- but have the added benefit of pulling loads easier. I know I wont be pulling a whole lot, but I do want to make sure I get the right fit of a vehicle for me.

I keep scouring the interwebs, and those v-8's are pretty hard to come by in the short Trailblazers. I just dont know if 160,000 is too high of mileage to start with.

I have found a couple lower mileage ones, but they are the inline 6.

If anyone else has anything, please feel free to chime in to give me things to think about.

Thanks again everyone!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
First of all: Welcome to the Nation!
Second: Be aware of your mod bug...that lil fawker will creep up on you when you least expect it!

With that said...consider an 06+ I6 as well since the power numbers get a bit closer to that of the V8.

Personally I have an '08 LS with the 4.2 and 3:42 gearing. I have yet to find it inadequate for my needs...I have towed a few full size trucks with it and it held up fine. In the I6/3:42 setup its rated to pull around 5000 lbs. Iirc it goes up to around 5500-5600 with 3:73s

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

The mod bug is alive and strong in me, there is no doubt about that. I have the Firebird with a 385 stroker and the drivetrain to hold up to the power, I have a 2005 XC 700 SP snowmobile that there isn't much stock left... haha it just comes with the territory.

I have already been looking at the PCMforless guys for a tune right off the bat. They did my Firebird when I just had the hotcam kit, and it worked well. Then I went to a full stroker and needed the dynotune. :smile:

Outside of a PCM tune, there doesn't appear to be much to do for the I6 for intake/exhaust unless I want to buy a $900 header. No thanks. But that 5.3... I can see me blowing all sorts of money on upgrades. Maybe for that reason I shoud stick to the I6 HAHAHA

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Haha, they arent easy to find that's for sure. I had to drive about 300 miles for mine. Worth it though. I got an 06 with 90k for 9k.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
wow, that is quite the drive. I am finding that most of them here are in the 150xxx mileage range. And that is for the I6'ers

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
what's your price range, city?

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
That is a sweet ride!
Im just west of Minneapolis, MN.
My price range is more in the 5 grand area. I want to pay cash, and not have a loan. Even the 2004's with the I6 Im seeing rigs with 150xxx miles and they still want $6500. It is ridiculous.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
You could get a sweet late 90's suburban in the price range. Those things are rock solid. Gas mileage sucks arse though. My next vehicle will be a late 90's suburban. You aren't going to find a v8 swb in that range either, they didnt put the v8's in the swb until 2005.

Trios

Mar 27, 2014
It sounds to me like you're trying to justify buying a V8 because you want a V8, not because you need it. I can guarantee you, any TB I6 will tow a pair of snowmobiles; you would never even notice they're there. It's not until you get into the 3000-pound class and start needing trailer brakes that you'd really notice the load, and you won't start to feel like your power is inadequate until you're over 4k. All of this is assuming 3.42 gears.

Get the I6; they're easier to find and a bit cheaper, they get ever so slightly better fuel economy, and you'll be perfectly happy with the power.

Reactions: polarisn1

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Yeah, I dont need a gas sucker. I had a 1979 K5 blazer that was really sweet, but got 5 mpg with the all time four wheel drive.

I think the Trailblazer will be a great combination of reliability with good creature comforts. The I6 seems to be decent in the towing and mpg department. I found a 2004 with a sunroof and fog lights with 150xxx on the clock for 5500 that I am looking into. It's one owner so hopefully they did the preventative stuff.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
The I6 is not a bad motor. I'd rather have the V8 honestly, but I can't complain about the I6.

I'm up in Elk River, northwest of the cities. There's a few of us MN guys around.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
polarisn1 said:
That is a sweet ride!
Im just west of Minneapolis, MN.
My price range is more in the 5 grand area. I want to pay cash, and not have a loan. Even the 2004's with the I6 Im seeing rigs with 150xxx miles and they still want $6500. It is ridiculous.
Yeah but it is nice to know we can start to ask for that when we get there. Show up with cash and see what happens. I'd pay more for records of service at that mileage. Keep looking, there are a lot for sale within an hour drive, all depends on what you want/need.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Don't forget these are almost 5000 pound vehicles so MPG will never be stellar. My Envoy weighs only a little less than my Silverado. My MPG (I6 & 3.73 gears) is about the same as others have stated. You may want to consider an external transmission cooler. The factory one is inside the radiator.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Good to know there are some MN guys around on here! :smile:

I guess it is good to know these hold their value.

I know that mpg wont be stellar with these, but it seems to be about the best mpg vehicle with decent space and pulling capacity. Plus, Im a GM guy so unless I want a worse mpg Tahoe, this is the winner. haha.

cstern71

Feb 16, 2014
Patience will pay off while looking for one too.

I was seeing ridiculous prices for them before I found mine a few months ago. For example, a 2003 LT with 168k miles that they wanted $5500 for. Not a single door panel was attached properly, the interior was filthy and a wheel bearing was shot.

A few weeks later I stumble upon a 2003 LT with 127k miles on it for $4500. This one was posted on Craigslist on a tuesday night at 11pm and was in my possession by 7pm on wednesday. The owner had a late 90s Silverado with over 200k miles, a 2014 Equinox, and a mid 2000s Tahoe. The Silverado demonstrated they could properly maintain a vehicle. They had just had the Trailblazer professionally detailed inside and out, and besides two minor exterior blemishes (his wife shouldn't be allowed to put it in reverse), it was pristine.

It seems you have people who dump them off right under 100k miles and right around 150k. My comfort zone was under 150k, preferably under 130k. Also, I almost never found a v8 one for sale. Ebay prices are absurd as well.

Trios

Mar 27, 2014
Wow, I feel like I really got a steal with my 05 with 46k for $7000...

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
yeah, I know patience is a virtue. I just hate waiting. :smile:
I keep scouring the list of Craig, and they are generally too much money for not enough life left in them.
But the search continues.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
polarisn1 said:
yeah, I know patience is a virtue. I just hate waiting. :smile:
I keep scouring the list of Craig, and they are generally too much money for not enough life left in them.
But the search continues.
I'm east of St Paul and have a few mins.. what's your criteria? I'll see what I can find tonight. How far out and private sellers okay?

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
I'm east of St Paul and have a few mins.. what's your criteria? I'll see what I can find tonight. How far out and private sellers okay?
Thanks for the offer!
I am looking for a trailblazer 4x4.
Must haves:
-preferably under 130xxx miles
-no rust
-lumbar support for the driver
-cloth or leather is fine, not picky. If leather Id prefer heated seats for the winter
-No EXT
-No AWD, I want to shift out of 4x4 to save on fuel

What I'd like to have:
-If I6 then 2006 or newer for the added HP bump
-V8 would be optimal but I recognize that is a long shot
-moon roof a huge plus
-Fog lights a huge plus

I would like to stay away from black. I live on gravel roads, so a lighter colored exterior is prefered.

Price is 5 grand or less
Private party is optimal, as I dont want to haggle with a dealer.

I know, I am reaching for the stars here. But, where there is a will, there is a way.

Let me know if you find anything exciting!

(I'm also realistic. Id be happy with a 2004 and newer I6 if the price was right.)

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?feedSegId=28705&rpp=50&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&yrId=20143&yrId=20199&yrId=20144&yrId=20200&stkTypId=28881&PMmt=1-1-0&zc=55414&rd=50&mdId=22197&mkId=20053&prMn=0&prMx=7000&searchSource=SORT&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice&pgId=2102&sf1Nm=miles&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC

I like this site among others.
Try expanding the CL search to regional markets; St Cloud, Duluth, Rochester etc?

Seems you're right on the line of price and mileage. Keep looking you'll find yours. :thumbsup:

Edit: I can't cut and paste any Craigslist ads :frown: but I see a TB in st cloud just listed 134k and an '05 for $5995. An '03 with 130k in Clearwater for $5700. They're out there.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
How do you expand into regions on Craigslist? Do you have to go into each city and search?

I did look on cars.com, but those are all over-priced.

I found both of those you speak of, and a 2004 south of Clearwater for 5500 with the lumbar support in cloth and a moon roof. I emailed them but no response yet.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
polarisn1 said:
How do you expand into regions on Craigslist? Do you have to go into each city and search?

I did look on cars.com, but those are all over-priced.

I found both of those you speak of, and a 2004 south of Clearwater for 5500 with the lumbar support in cloth and a moon roof. I emailed them but no response yet.
If a car feels overpriced, tell them that immediately and ask if there is room to move the price. Saves a lot of time. Always ask high initially right?

I would recommend calling over email. Dealers recieve many emails. Calls- you have to take. Sometimes they do not remove the ads in a timely fashion.

Towards the bottom of a page of listings CL has started listing similar items "nearby" That is how I found those two.

Searching each market's respective CL site will yield more results. The more sellers you can find,the better you're odds are. Mankato, Sioux Falls, Eau Claire etc.. $50 in gas to save a couple hundred possible more on the cost of the truck.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Hypnotoad said:
haha I like the manual transmission.. with a clear pic of an auto shifter. :smile:

Playsinsnow said:
Winner!
Nice find! Someone needs this!
I have never actually seen the Saab one. That thing really interests me, but still, $6500 firm for it with 150xxx miles seems over-priced. But, fully loaded with heated leather seats kind of excites me!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
polarisn1 said:
haha I like the manual transmission.. with a clear pic of an auto shifter. :smile:

I have never actually seen the Saab one. That thing really interests me, but still, $6500 firm for it with 150xxx miles seems over-priced. But, fully loaded with heated leather seats kind of excites me!
The Saab is a good price. It is not overpriced. It has the hard to find 5.3 too. Jump on it and get a drive in! Look in the oil fill and see if you find any creamy coloring or sludge?

Honestly I do not see much difference in a 150k truck and a 130k when it is already that high. If the miles are high, would you rather have an older model or newer? Questions. Questions.

Negotiate a little on price. Firm means he may have records. Pay extra for the peace of mind. Could save you the difference in a repair (then you can't drive anyways)

Good luck!

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
The Saab is a good price. It is not overpriced. It has the hard to find 5.3 too. Jump on it and get a drive in! Look in the oil fill and see if you find any creamy coloring or sludge?

Honestly I do not see much difference in a 150k truck and a 130k when it is already that high. If the miles are high, would you rather have an older model or newer? Questions. Questions.

Negotiate a little on price.
I really like the 5.3, but AWD is a gas mileage killer. Does anyone have experience with the AWD and MPG? EPA "estimates" have it at 17mpg on the highway. I know tuning can bump that up 1 or 2, but at 18 or 19, it wouldn't be a very good dual purpose commuter/hauler vehicle, would it? I am trying to be open minded, so please dont think I am being difficult or anything. Just trying to make the most informed decision I can :biggrin:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Yeah I forgot about the AWD.

But many see 18or19 with the I6 at 150k. 17 or 19 or 26? You don't buy this platform because of the mpgs. They suck. Space, comfort, capable, and affordable are the selling points. That's a hard to find Saab 5.3 and you have the greatest resource here for anything it may need.

I get 13mpgs driving like grandma in the COLDEST of winter on winter gas with city driving. In 2wd. I can get 22+ driving east from the Rockies. Like grandma. 17-19 doing the limit and then some.

polarisn1

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Playsinsnow said:
Yeah I forgot about the AWD.

But many see 18or19 with the I6 at 150k. 17 or 19 or 26? You don't buy this platform because of the mpgs. They suck. Space, comfort, capable, and affordable are the selling points. That's a hard to find Saab 5.3 and you have the greatest resource here for anything it may need.

I get 13mpgs driving like grandma in the COLDEST of winter on winter gas with city driving. In 2wd. I can get 22+ driving east from the Rockies. Like grandma. 17-19 doing the limit and then some.
AWD is useless for pretty much 7-8 months out of the year here. But, there is some value in it, I will admit.

I understand that this vehicle isn't a stellar MPG vehicle. You cant have everything in 1 vehicle. I guess this is a decent blend of most things, and what has attracted me to the platform. The Saab is very intriguing. Im not sure how long he has had it for sale, but his pics have big snowbanks. I am leaving in the morning on a work trip, and wont be back until late Sunday night. I may give the guy a call and see what I think after talking to him. KBB has this at 4500 at good condition and 4800 at excellent. He seems to be pretty over-priced. He mentioned a bunch of work being done, but to me, it has to be done otherwise it isn't a running vehicle and then is worth even less.. :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online