"HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Front Brakes binding.

rcfiddy1

Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hey all, I have searched thru a few posts regarding front calipers stickig and uneven pad wear but I have a issue I cant seem to get resolved. My 02 LS was due for rotors and pads. I swapped them out and all seemed great for about 2k miles than I had my master cylinder fail. Pedal went to the floor and no brakes. I had a new MC put in and about 200 mile later I had the brake pedal go from normal (for a TB at least) to rock hard and the front brakes felt like they were draging. I would release the pedal and the truck would sit there as if the brake were pressed. As I limped the truck home the pedal went back to normal and all was fine. Seeing as I cant live with this I brought the truck in to have a look see and was told my booster was bad. Now after $$$$$$$ installing the booster the pedal is once again hard and the brakes feel as if they are dragging all the time. So intotal I have new rotors,pads, calipers, new, brake lines, new master cylinder, new power booster, and still sticking brakes. If the bleeder is opened the brakes release. Any help would be appreciated otherwise I have a 02 TB for sale..:hissyfit: Forgot to mention, I verified only fronts were dragging by lifting truck and the fronts would not spin freely until bleeder was released.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
When you say new brake lines, does that include the flexible ones? Sometimes the rubber gets tired and closes up, and while there is enough pressure to apply the brakes, there isn't any pressure to release them.

rcfiddy1

Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Yes the rubber lines to the calipers have been replaced when the calipers were done. Let me also say I have no codes popping up and I just tested the ABS on some ice and its working fine.

Steeda

Jan 16, 2014
i know they just replaced the parts, but if it were my Voy- I'd try bleeding all the brakes and replacing the system with DOT3.

Sounds like there is moisture.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Steeda said:
i know they just replaced the parts, but if it were my Voy- I'd try bleeding all the brakes and replacing the system with DOT3.

Sounds like there is moisture.

The one maintenance item that I have not done to my 2003 TB is flush the brakes.
Thanks for the reminder. If the SS has CI calipers, are the cylinders sleeved with SS,
to prevent corrosion? I had to do that to the 67 Corvette that I use to own.

Steeda

Jan 16, 2014
Texas- i don't know about corrosion, i just know that when my system had old fluid, the calipers would sometimes drag when it got either hotter or cooler.... so that's why i recommended the flush to the OP. I have since done the same on my Motorcycle and it made the brakes a lot more consistent.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Is this a possibility? Could the wrong master cylinder have been installed?
The reason I ask, is because when we had drum brakes, the master cylinder had
a check valve to maintain pressure on the wheel cylinders.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.