Hello from Cousin Itt

Cousin Itt

Original poster
Sep 25, 2022
Bristol Wisconsin
Hello from S.E. Wisconsin. UAW retiree AMC/Chrysler.

Joined to help my neighbor out with his 2005 3500 Express van. He purchased it as a sandwhich wreck, and it needs a bit of Tech2 system work. Need to find a FSM for it so I can follow the procedures to clear SRS/ABS/Stabilatrak warning lights. I'm basically his computer, he doesn't have or really know how to use one.

Presently adding Tech2/TIS2000 system software to my old Dell D430 laptop that is running W7Pro, and already set up with a HDS/HIM (Honda Diagnostic System/Honda Interface Module) system.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Welcome to the family, glad to have you here. :tiphat:

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Stabilitrak was introduced on the Trailblazers in 2006, and a very common cause of the Stabilitrak light is a faulty steering wheel angle sensor. Might be something to check. I have no idea if his van has one, but if so it could be the issue.

Cousin Itt

Original poster
Sep 25, 2022
Bristol Wisconsin
Stabilitrak was introduced on the Trailblazers in 2006, and a very common cause of the Stabilitrak light is a faulty steering wheel angle sensor. Might be something to check. I have no idea if his van has one, but if so it could be the issue.
It does have a SWPS it's now showing code C0455 after changing the pitman arm.
Van had 47 codes showing the first time I hooked the code reader to it accross ECM, ABS, & SRS modules. With that many codes showing I decided to clear them all, and see which ones returned. The code for the passenger side front WSS was the only one to return along with the SRS codes. So we replaced the WSS and that cleared up most of the "Limp Mode" type symptoms (and the code). It was acting like it had a bad TPS with a bad stumble off idle when you would give it gas to go, along with what seemed like a miss/lack of power around 45-50 MPH. Ordered both another front WSS, and TPS. Replaced the drivers side front WSS (easiest of the two to replace) and the stumble/miss lack of power problems were gone. (Didn't get a code for either)

After going through similar problems with our 06 Honda Pilot (Bought from neighbor I'm helping) and buying a code reader that was "Supposed" to perform programming/maintenance functions but couldn't,

I was basically given an older laptop system by a mechanic friend of mine that the laptop had been dropped/broken. Asked around and was given an old Dell D430 laptop that I changed over to a SSD and loaded W7Pro and the HDS software on. I'm still trying to figure out what auto brands some of the software, and interface modules are for. I managed to ID the Honda stuff. (Everything was stuffed in a box) He bought it as a system sometime around 2010 from a guy that was building/selling them. He told me if I can get it working to keep it, he now uses one of the subscription systems. IIRC it's an All-Data system.

Neighbor called a GM dealership, and was told $180.00 first hour, $160.00 per hour after that for diagnostics/recalibration of the systems. I told him about the Tech2 diagnostic system, and since he has 5 Chevrolet products that fit the systems time frame (92-05) and after seeing what the HDS/HIM system is capable of compared to the scanners he asked me "Can this "Unlock" the radio in the 05?" After telling him yes, he decided he needs one.

Now I need to find a pdf of the FSM for the 05 Express so I can bring it up on my secondary 12/110 volt monitor so I can read the required procedures to do what needs to be done.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Welcome to the forums!

GM had a few years where the only way to reset a SRS light was thru a source that wasnt GM. I have a Autel just for SRS codes because the GM Tech2 has issues with it... Basically it goes against what GM wants you to do, replace the unit for lots of $$$!

Now all SRS modules, after airbag deployment, have to be sent out to be reprogramed or replaced.

Cousin Itt

Original poster
Sep 25, 2022
Bristol Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums!

GM had a few years where the only way to reset a SRS light was thru a source that wasnt GM. I have a Autel just for SRS codes because the GM Tech2 has issues with it... Basically it goes against what GM wants you to do, replace the unit for lots of $$$!

Now all SRS modules, after airbag deployment, have to be sent out to be reprogramed or replaced.
With the way both bumpers, rear doors, hood, and grill looked surprisingly there was no airbag deployment.

The previous owner used it as a shuttle bus for transporting workers to dealers for bringing vehicles from the dealers to his detail shop. I believe they tried working on it themselves when the ABS/Stabilatrak system failed due to the bad wheel sensor without having a clue as to what they were doing. Previous owner tried claiming that there was nothing wrong with the brakes. When Bruce test drove it the right rear was grinding metal to metal, and the ABS, and Stabilatrak lights were both lit He also said the airbag light had been on since the sandwhich accident.

I don't have the list of codes handy, but those that were present pointed towards recalibration of the modules. (Lost communication codes) I'm not sure what the previous owner did but even the factory radio needs to be recalibrated. (Unlocked)

I'm not sure if GM's act like Honda's, in that sometimes just disconnecting the battery can cause the SRS, and VSA (Honda's version of Stabilatrak) to loose calibration. This happened to me when I had the battery disconnected to perform other unrelated to those systems work on our Pilot. The SRS control module had lost communication with the front passengers seat, which required two recalibration procedures and the VSA had to have the VSA Sensor Neutral Position Memorization Procedure performed.

The previous owner had quit using it for some time, and when Bruce went to look at it was told to bring a battery with. The previous owner said somebody stole it.

I know we caused the C0455 code when we replaced the pitman arm, the SRS codes will have to be sorted through.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The FST and FSV have issues with solder joints inside modules. We have a 2006 Chevy 2500 with a SRS light on, and cant get it to communicate. Which is usually a reflow of solder, or replacement of the SRS module.

Cousin Itt

Original poster
Sep 25, 2022
Bristol Wisconsin
The FST and FSV have issues with solder joints inside modules. We have a 2006 Chevy 2500 with a SRS light on, and cant get it to communicate. Which is usually a reflow of solder, or replacement of the SRS module.
Must be getting their modules from the same supplier as Honda, they have the same problem. Cold solder joints, cracked connections, etc.. BTDT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher