Hello Everyone!

Njg425

Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Souther California
I have used this site and the old one since I bought my truck back in late 2012. There is so much useful information sometimes I find myself just reading posts to see if I can learn something about my car. I started posting here somewhat recently but just saw there was a introduction area so I thought I should join in officially.

Anyway, My name is Nick and I live in Southern California. My car is a 2004 LS. I bought it from the original owner for $4500 with 77k miles. I thought it was a steal at the time as it was (and still is) in fantastic shape. Although I did later find out that the engine wasn't supposed to rumble like it did, it had lost the oil from the engine mounts. No salt on the roads here like some of you guys have to deal with haha. Our mountains use a cinder without salt because we drink all the water that hits the ground eventtually.

Now I have about 135k miles and haven't had too many issues and the ones I have had you guys have helped me through whether or not you knew about it. I had done all the work myself until the transmission went out about a month ago. Obviously I'm not qualified for that but since everything else is in such great shape including the motor I had the trans rebuilt. So now I have what feels like a brand new car and I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. All that to say hi and that you can expect to see me around a little more often. :2thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Welcome to the fray and glad to know we have been a help!

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Welcome!
There is so much useful information sometimes I find myself just reading posts to see if I can learn something about my car.

You and me both, brother! Lots of great info on this site, and pretty much anything that might happen to your truck, it's a given that someone else here has already experienced it and described how they fixed it (usually themselves!)

Glad to hear you rebuilt the trans, rather than junking the truck. I like the 4L60e, myself (and most GM transmissions in general; you'll find varying opinions from others here on that). Especially if the few problem areas of the 4L60 are addressed on a rebuild (or at least putting in one of the TransGo kits to eliminate the TCC valve / bore issue.)

If I might ask - what happened to yours, that it required a rebuild?

Njg425

Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Souther California
The 2-3 shift started to "hang" at the about the beginning of summer. The best way to describe it would be that it wouldn't up-shift at the rpm I was used to but would continue to climb in rpm past that point but not increase acceleration. If that makes any sense. It got worse and worse to the point where it would happen at the other shift points as well. Pushing it harder would make it worse. Like getting on the freeway. Eventually it got to the point where it wouldn't up-shift at all unless I let off the gas and feathered the pedal just right. So I took it in to my transmission guy. He said it was shot, obviously. He said there were improved internal components and a TCM "?" update. All in it was $1800 parts and labor and I essentially have a new truck. It's never shifted this well since I have had it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
He said there were improved internal components and a TCM "?" update. All in it was $1800 parts and labor and I essentially have a new truck. It's never shifted this well since I have had it.

Yep - sounds like your trans guy did right by you, and the cost is in line, IMO.

TCM = Transmission Control Module. Before 2004, GM controlled both the transmission logic and the engine / emissions via the Powertrain Control Module.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
tiphat.gif
tiphat.gif
Welcome
tiphat.gif

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com...eres-the-story/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members