heater question

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
just back from a four hour trip in the low 30s.

TB has the automatic digital dual controls.

in auto mode, the passenger sets temp a degree or so higher than driver, and then driver is too hot even dropping drivers temp to lower 60's (like make your feet sweat too hot)

seem to remember Roadie mentioned HVAC actuators? I will go read the service manual tomorrow, but some hints would be welcome.

this is not new, I remember it from last winter/spring.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could be sensors. Could be a faulty connection or wiring or temp actuator(s). Only a GM Tech II tool could talk to the HVAC controller and tell you with absolute certainty what the culprit is.

For a quick look, pull some dash panels and look at the temp actuator shafts on each side while fiddling with the controls. They're the easiest ones to observe.

allactuators-orig.jpg

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks Roadie!

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
looks like a lot of taking apart involved.

might just wear sandals for those winter road trips.

will see how much energy I have after the leaves are blown to the street.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
meerschm said:
looks like a lot of taking apart involved.

might just wear sandals for those winter road trips.

will see how much energy I have after the leaves are blown to the street.

I don't use the auto in winter because I like the window open a bit, when the inside cools down from the window open the auto system blasts full heat to your feet (as well as to the vents and defrost) to warm it back up. In manual mode I/passanger can control the temp of the air at the feet. I usually have the mode on floor/defrost setting. This works for me so I thought I'd share.

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
the roadie said:
Only minor disassembly required for the temp actuators.

THIS is a lot of taking apart, but it only takes about an hour:

dash03.jpg

I bet I could do it in an hour the third or fourth time. :smile:

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Only minor disassembly required for the temp actuators.

THIS is a lot of taking apart, but it only takes about an hour:

dash03.jpg

yes but a local stealership quoted me minimum 10 hours labor at straight time to replace an actuator. Who would have thunk it.:undecided:

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I don't use the auto in winter because I like the window open a bit, when the inside cools down from the window open the auto system blasts full heat to your feet (as well as to the vents and defrost) to warm it back up. In manual mode I/passanger can control the temp of the air at the feet. I usually have the mode on floor/defrost setting. This works for me so I thought I'd share.

that is what we ended up doing last winter, as I recall. set mode to other than auto and play with the controls.

only problem with this is it is my wife's idea.

(er that did not come out right,. ok, the great thing about doing it that way, is that it is my wife's idea, and i get relationship points for listening and accepting her advice)

Dec 4, 2011
meerschm said:
that is what we ended up doing last winter, as I recall. set mode to other than auto and play with the controls.

only problem with this is it is my wife's idea.

(er that did not come out right,. ok, the great thing about doing it that way, is that it is my wife's idea, and i get relationship points for listening and accepting her advice)

Your sensitivity training is obviously going well. :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online