Heated seat buttons - 'always on' vs. iterative activation

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'll start this by saying that I'm no expert when it comes to switches & relays - I know 'DPDT' stands for 'dual pole, dual toggle', or something like that. And I have / can use a multimeter. But that's about it :smile:

Anyway... as those of you with heated seats know, they have to be turned on each time the vehicle is started (let's call them 'momentary activation' switches, until one of you corrects me). Each time the vehicle is keyed off, and restarted, the seats must be turned on again.

What I'd like to convert to:
Rocker switches - 3 settings, just like OEM, preserving the independent seat back operation.

a) Can it be done?

2) What would I need (I know I need a 3-way (6-way?) toggle, and probably a relay (?) or two of some type)

I don't care about having the toggle switches in the armrest - if I have to move it to the dash, side of seat, center console - I'm OK with that. And I can leave the existing buttons there, 'dead'.
I'm concerned with functionality, not beauty.

Yes, I know that being 'momentary' switches, that a signal is probably being sent to the CANBus on activation / deactivation / cycling through settings.

What this would give me (for those who are wondering) is the ability to have the seats 'on', if I have them activated, every time I start the vehicle, without having to remember to turn them on. My other vehicle(s) have this, so it would be nice to have the same thing.

I know GM switched from 'momentary' switches to toggles at some point - I had a few rides in an Equinox a few years back that had the toggles (in the center console area). And they looked a lot like Webasto's toggles, IMO.

I just don't know if it's possible to change out one for the other. But I know someone here will probably know. ::fingers crossed::

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It would have been relatively "easy" to do a high, low and off for the back and seat together, switch between having the heaters in series (low) and in parallel (high) and off. However, to be able to have a back only setting would add some complexity to this. We would need the ability to isolate the back only from the other circuit and also prevent a short or interference if you happen to accidentally turn on the back and one of the other settings.

I don't know if you saw this thread but post #17 has a simple schematic for wiring them for high/low.
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/prewired-for-heated-seats.15069/

Now, just thinking a bit remembering a schematic I did for my e-fans at the time, I used relays and two switch to have them run in low and high using series and parallel. It worked by using switch 1 for low and switch 2 for high. For high you'd have both switches on. However, as this would be of interest to you, if I only used switch 2 alone, one fan would run on high. That could be your back heater. I think this would work for you.
My efan setup (Montana/Venture efans)

low-high-speed-fans-wiring-2-jpg.42063

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks, Mooseman :smile: That thread came up during my search, but I didn't recognize my answer was within it (actually, what got me to bright was a link to another forum thread from within that one.)

Between that, and your info on the e-fans - I should have what I need. Not going to do the work for a bit, but this will give me time to study & plan beforehand). Appreciate the help!

Reactions: Mooseman

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Are they the factory heated seats? If so, they are controlled by a module under the driver's seat, so it's not as easy as that if you want to retain stock function as well.

Nevermind. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online