Heat smells like gasoline

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
In the morning when I start truck up turn heat on I notice a somewhat strong overpowering smell of gas fumes. I smoke in my car nothing ignited lol but just curious if the source of this could be many things or is there something specific to check for.

Under the hood I don't really smell it just smells like an engine to me any ideas??

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The only thing that comes to mind and might be related would be a leaking fuel pressure regulator. Take the hose off it in the morning after sitting overnight and see if it smells like gas or any liquid is present. I would make sure the vacuum hoses are routed properly as well.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
That's what I thought

I checked that and looks as if it was wet at one time can see a darker spot going down side of regulator itself

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
So just replace the regulator

Yes, if this vacuum line smells of gas or is wet then I would say you nailed it. But I would apply vacuum to the fpr just to be sure it holds or not.

jeffro312

Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
This is the regulator looks like a leak right and little hose in above picture smelt like gas and holds vacume

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383144062839.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383144062839.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 5

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
jeffro312 said:
Thanks captain for quick reply

Would this cause truck to run like crap

Varies, depending on how big the hole is in the diaphragm for the FPR. Poor performance at higher engine loads and extended crank time when the engine is hot after sitting a while will probably be your biggest symptoms. Larger leaks will screw up the PCM with the fuel trims. It's recommended that you disconnect the battery when changing the FPR so the learned parameters clear. Make sure to remove and clean the throttle body as well if it hasn't been done recently. I really wouldn't think twice about changing your FPR. It's been 10 years and this part has a history of going bad. Not just on our vehicle but on most which incorporate a return fuel system.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.