Headliner cloth hanging down

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yet another thing on my truck showing its age...

The headliner cloth separated from the liner board in the back of my truck. Now it hangs in my rear view mirror and blows in the wind. Nice.

Any suggestions how to fix that? I was half tempted to just whip out the staple gun and hold it up that way, but that's a bit ugly...

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They sell headliner adhesive spray in the parts stores just for this situation.

I recommend everybody take a stroll through the parts store when you don't have something urgently to repair, just to see all the cool products, tools, fasteners, and lubricants available.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
That requires pulling the whole headliner out of the truck though. Not sure I want to do that as given how they installed the sunroof not quite like factory, and evidently just cut my headliner to fit the sunroof, I'm not too keen on taking it down in case it won't go back up!

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
Thumbtacks? :rotfl: Or maybe fabric glue from a craft store? I think i used that on a prior vehicle in the past and it worked somewhat well.

Apr 28, 2014
Any step by step tutorials for taking off the headliner? Want to put deadener in there and saw some threads on the old site, but never joined, havent found any thus far on here.

Reactions: 02TrailBlazer

stvrob

May 28, 2014
I fixed the headliner in my pickup truck some years ago. Basically I pulled out the backing board entirely from the vehicle and removed the old cloth. Then went to to Joanne Fabrics to pick out a new material. (Great place to meet women!). Also get a can of MMM Spray adhesive. It's like contact glue in a can. If I can remember the exact product name I will come back and edit this post.
You will want to do a few dry runs with a helper, you will want to lay the fabric carefully, and have smoothing tools to push it firmly on the glue, there might be some concave shapes, I think I used a plastic ball to push it into these areas. But once the glue is sprayed and begins to tack, you won't be able to lift it if you get a crease. I had the fabric rolled onto a PVC pipe and a kid holding each end while I slowly spread it over the underliner. Actually, my wife was so sure I would screw it up, she pushed me out of the way and took over at this point. I continued to supervise while drinking a beer.

Anyway, it went fine, and it has outlasted the original headliner. Unfortunately, a soda exploded spontaneously in the heat a few years ago and stained it pretty good, but it doesn't sag.

PS. The name of the adhesive I used was 3M Super 77 spray adhesive

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
stvrob said:
I fixed the headliner in my pickup truck some years ago. Basically I pulled out the backing board entirely from the vehicle and removed the old cloth. Then went to to Joanne Fabrics to pick out a new material. (Great place to meet women!). Also get a can of MMM Spray adhesive. It's like contact glue in a can. If I can remember the exact product name I will come back and edit this post.
You will want to do a few dry runs with a helper, you will want to lay the fabric carefully, and have smoothing tools to push it firmly on the glue, there might be some concave shapes, I think I used a plastic ball to push it into these areas. But once the glue is sprayed and begins to tack, you won't be able to lift it if you get a crease. I had the fabric rolled onto a PVC pipe and a kid holding each end while I slowly spread it over the underliner. Actually, my wife was so sure I would screw it up, she pushed me out of the way and took over at this point. I continued to supervise while drinking a beer.

Anyway, it went fine, and it has outlasted the original headliner. Unfortunately, a soda exploded spontaneously in the heat a few years ago and stained it pretty good, but it doesn't sag.
If you end up taking it down and want the 3M spray, I have a can sitting in the garage. Works very well. Just throwing it out there. Should be cheap at local stores too. General adhesive spray is what it's called I think.

stvrob

May 28, 2014
Lol. I saw you quoted before I got back and edited my post. Don't know if its the absolute best product, but its survived 9 years of Florida sun/no garage

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
stvrob said:
Lol. I saw you quoted before I got back and edited my post. Don't know if its the absolute best product, but its survived 9 years of Florida sun/no garage
Should do fine up here in OH then.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
The_Roadie said:
They sell headliner adhesive spray in the parts stores just for this situation.

I recommend everybody take a stroll through the parts store when you don't have something urgently to repair, just to see all the cool products, tools, fasteners, and lubricants available.
I agree. Remember those speed nuts you pointed someone to in another thread a while back, for those screws on the oil access plate? Lowes has a bunch of styles of them, and some of those stupid plug fasteners used on the front bumper.

Could use some 3M Command strips or whatever it is. Or velcro tape that's a known quality, which makes dropping the liner (just in case) still doable but hopefully holds up better than the original velcro.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online