Headlights always on

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
I so it seems to just be one thing after another. Driving home from work middle of the day suns bright my headlights come on they won’t go off I tried to turn the car off open up the door close the door turn the car back on headlights are on on the ideas this morning I got a code P0128 so I’m gonna change the thermostat I have a wheel boring to do in the output shaft seal Also my turn signal switch anything else on a break?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
I so it seems to just be one thing after another. Driving home from work middle of the day suns bright my headlights come on they won’t go off I tried to turn the car off open up the door close the door turn the car back on headlights are on on the ideas this morning I got a code P0128 so I’m gonna change the thermostat I have a wheel boring to do in the output shaft seal Also my turn signal switch anything else on a break?
I will say , when the car I show off and key and out they turn right off. If it was the headlight switch I would think they stayed on no matter what. If it was the Twilight sensor and the sensor thinks it’s night , wouldn’t they stay on when the car turned ?

This one has me stumped

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Sorry for the posts. Writting from my phone.

Now it’s night time and when the car is turned off the headlights stay on for the 1 min set delay

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Are we talking about the day time running lights?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Sorry for the posts. Writting from my phone.

Now it’s night time and when the car is turned off the headlights stay on for the 1 min set delay
Are we talking about the day time running lights?
no. Regular headlights. In the bright daylight my headlights are on my dash lights are on radio lights and if I flash to put on high beams Veyron almost like the twilight sensor thinks it’s night but now it’s dark out and when I turn the car off the headlights stay on for a one minute dela as programmed And I don’t think it’s a bad relay stuck open because the lights will turn off when the car is shut off in the daylight

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it's your light sensor that's bad. Sounds like it thinks it's always dark out. The delay off is according to what you set it to and would be normal operation at night.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Right , but if the sensor always thinks it’s night , wouldn’t the delay stay on during the day ? In the daylight the headlights go off when the car is off. The delay only stays on at night like it’s supposed to

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I guess one question is: why the turn signal switch? maybe that's related to your issue with the lights??

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Right , but if the sensor always thinks it’s night , wouldn’t the delay stay on during the day ? In the daylight the headlights go off when the car is off. The delay only stays on at night like it’s supposed to
Ah, I see. I didn't quite make out what you were writing. It could still be the light sensor. I think I remember when I do shut off the truck when it's twilight (in between dark and light), the lights shut off right away instead of staying on.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
On my 2002 with Torque Pro (or equivalent) I can check the output of the light sensor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210313-085218.png
    Screenshot_20210313-085218.png
    822.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20210313-085329.png
    Screenshot_20210313-085329.png
    929.3 KB · Views: 7

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
I guess one question is: why the turn signal switch? maybe that's related to your issue with the lights??
The highbeams would go on it I turned left or right. I thought also but the headlights are a different control switch.

The sensor is only $20 so I’ll try it

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
yes but... if the turn switch causes things to happen between bright and "normal" (ie. stalk position), then it follows that a possible faulty switch may impact how / when normal happens or doesn't happen depending on what the root cause is for a faulty switch...ie. bad connection, shorting connection, open connection, etc. Anyway, its on your list, from your initial post, it was not clear as to whether you were asking about it as a possible cause, or a "thing to do" because of another issue.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Well the dash lights are off during the day as normal , it was the ambient light sensor , and apparently there’s 2 different ones depending on what options you have. Manual ac is a two pin and digital climate control is a 4 pin. I had to wait another day after getting the 2 pin one without knowing. The 4 pin one , the connector is the same , but there is a little tab that is oriented differently , it still fits though

Now my only question , do the drl’s run the low beams or high beams ?? I could have sworn it was high beams but I may be wrong. I only ask because now my low beams are my drl , then in the dark my interior dash lights come on

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
low beams have always been the DRLs for this platform.

emcee99

Jun 30, 2019
virginia
My lights are always on too. What's the procedure for changing out the light sensor? I'm guessing it starts with removing the radio?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My lights are always on too. What's the procedure for changing out the light sensor? I'm guessing it starts with removing the radio?
Nope, that little piece of plastic that runs across the dash pops out, and the sensor is attached to it.

Reactions: Mooseman

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Left and right windshield pillar trim comes off , Phillips screw , then the front half of the dash. I would pull it out first to see which you have , there are 2-3 different types of sensors depending on what options you have

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online