Headlight switch lighting 2003 Envoy

kborro01

Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
Montana
So picked up a 2003 ENVOY XL SLT and running through the many issues to get it road worthy. All the mechanical problems are complete, including flushing all the fluids and replacing the front diff, what a PITA that was! Now I'm working interior issues. I noticed that the headlight panel has no panel backlighting when you have the parking lights on. I cracked the switch open and there are 3 blue and 2 clear LEDS. The 2 LEDs look like they are "Something is on" lights and they work. but none of them provide panel backlighting. Is this normal. It's the only switch panel that doesn't have backlights. Is this supposed to be a backlit panel?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

Occasionally, the Variable Light Level control for the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster located just to the left of the Dash Panel on the Driver's Side of the SUV will misbehave and requires brisk back & forth rotation to clean up the contacts inside of the Rheostat (Variable Resistor) and sort of wake up the background Dash Panel Lights and also by exercising all of the Buttons in all of their various settings:

HEADLAMPSWITCH1.jpgHEADLAMPSWITCH2.jpg

However, if inoperative in any way, replacement using a GM ACDelco OEM Switch Part# 25932632 is recommended and available either from eBay or Amazon at the link below, ...or perhaps from a Salvage Site- Junk Yard out of a working and compatible SUV.

ACDelco Headlight Light Switch:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2842421488...=0&customid=link&campid=&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This is an Excellent R&R Instructional Video to peruse for the basic replacement steps:

Last edited:

kborro01

Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
Montana
Thank you for the great information. This is my first time working on a vehicle like this. I've been a Mazda guy all my life and my son was given this vehicle for some labor he performed over the summer for a rancher. It's been parked in his barn for the last 2 years, unused because he didn't have the time to replace the front diff. It's his first vehicle and he gets his license next month. I want to make sure everything is working the way it should. Now just gotta figure out how to surround all the bumbers with railroad ties:smile:

santon

Jun 3, 2020
Israel
So picked up a 2003 ENVOY XL SLT and running through the many issues to get it road worthy. All the mechanical problems are complete, including flushing all the fluids and replacing the front diff, what a PITA that was! Now I'm working interior issues. I noticed that the headlight panel has no panel backlighting when you have the parking lights on. I cracked the switch open and there are 3 blue and 2 clear LEDS. The 2 LEDs look like they are "Something is on" lights and they work. but none of them provide panel backlighting. Is this normal. It's the only switch panel that doesn't have backlights. Is this supposed to be a backlit panel?
The switch assembly has a couple of LEDs and a few small 12V incandescent bulbs for the backlight. The LEDs appear in clear packaging while the the backlight bulbs have blue covers on them. Desolder and replace these bulbs with the blue covers with these or similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LQPE9FK/?tag=gmtnation-20. The blue caps are not required.

Reactions: Mooseman
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I'm going to replace them with LEDs that I had left over from the instrument repair kit. They sent 27!
You will need resistors, too.... you may already know that, but wanted to make sure.... this is not a job I've done so I'm not of any good help with the resistance value of said resistors....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
There are some LED assemblies that come with built in resistors, (small PCBs with SMDs on them) I've switched almost all of my interior LEDs to those instead. No more tedious math, or guesswork :twocents:

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
There are some LED assemblies that come with built in resistors, (small PCBs with SMDs on them) I've switched almost all of my interior LEDs to those instead. No more tedious math, or guesswork :twocents:
I'm probably not the only one who would like to see more info on these new options.... they may just be enough to prompt me to bite the bullet to replace all my backlights.... I'm missing over 1/3 of my dash lights....

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm probably not the only one who would like to see more info on these new options.... they may just be enough to prompt me to bite the bullet to replace all my backlights.... I'm missing over 1/3 of my dash lights....

Resistors are soldered to the underside of the PCB, so they're out of the way. Easy peasy. You can find various quantities of the typical colors.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I remember on the OS there were diagrams of all the clusters and modules for polarities. I had printed them years ago and can't find them anymore on the interwebs. @Blckshdw would those have been yours?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The ones I made are posted here. :book:

kborro01

Original poster
Dec 18, 2021
Montana

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member