headlight socket

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Took her for a drive to work, since it was snowing this morning.

noticed the right headlight (aka DRL) was out. so picked up a replacement lamp on the way home.

could not get the lamp to rotate in the mount, (pretty cold, so did not force it) but noticed the white wire into the socket was smoked.

put it back together and hey, the headlight works now. ( i suspect the wire was loose at the socket and am ordering a socket to replace when it warms up a bit.)

anyone else have the headlight sockets/wires fry? ( I suspect it just came a little loose where crimped and the years have taken their toll)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
MANY folks here and on the OS had that problem. Same idiot who designed the HVAC blower connector probably slipped a decimal point on the headlight connector as well. The designer should be flogged.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, happens to plenty of us... gone through 2 myself... first one under warranty at the dealer, second one from Advance Auto Parts... cost like $6 for the pigtail harness IIRC...

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks,

I did a quick search, but too many returns for my search strings.

any thing special to watch for, or just splice to the existing wires? ( I will likely solder and heat shrink)

Rock auto had a high temp socket, so I went with that vs a low temp for a few bucks less.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
meerschm said:
Thanks,

I did a quick search, but too many returns for my search strings.

any thing special to watch for, or just splice to the existing wires? ( I will likely solder and heat shrink)

Rock auto had a high temp socket, so I went with that vs a low temp for a few bucks less.

the dealer just used butt connectors on mine...

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Boricua SS said:
the dealer just used butt connectors on mine...

call me old fashioned.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online