Headlight Signal Marker LED

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Looking to put a set of amber leds in my signal markers in the headlights on my 2007 Trailblazer SS, will they hyperflash?? or will they be ok, I just installed them on the signal mirrors with no issues

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes. The main front ones will make them hyper flash. The little side markers won't but won't work correctly with the parking lights and signals.

So far, LEDs have been more trouble than they're worth for me. My rears have been good but the fronts aren't bright enough and I now have a weird issue with one side just staying on all the time with the parking light. I modified the turn signal module to not hyper flash:
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/8361-led-taillights-review/?p=194116

The corn cob type are junk and not bright enough. The Cree type might be better.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
ok cool, thanks, yea I will leave it then, so far I replaced my reverse lights plate and signal mirrors with leds and no problems yet....

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Aside from the bulbs causing problems, to fix the hyper flash, you can get resistors to put in-line with the LEDs which can be found on Ebay for around $5 or the easier way (and better in my opinion) you could buy an LED flasher relay which will run you no more than 15 dollars unless you buy it from a big name brand place but at least fixing it via relay you won't have to tap any wires.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mooseman said:
The little side markers won't but won't work correctly with the parking lights and signals.
What do you mean exactly? I have 194s installed without resistors and have no issues.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Because they are wired in with the parking and signal light, the LED 194 can only do one or the other but not both. If you put it in one way, only the parking light will work, the other way, only the parking light. Because regular bulbs don't care about the polarity, they are wired in with the front turn signal, which is why when you have the lights on and then use the turn signal, the lights alternate from from front to side.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Mooseman said:
Yes. The main front ones will make them hyper flash. The little side markers won't but won't work correctly with the parking lights and signals..
Carlton (BlckShdw) had luck with making a relay setup to use with a 194 switchback bulb.. Pretty easy to do really..

Most likely what I will do wen I go all out and retro the headlights, and clear corners..

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Black07SS said:
thanks, where exactly would I find the relay flasher?
Well, I apologize for my $15 estimate. :frown: I recently got an LED flasher relay for my 98 mustang and it was around $10 so I just assumed one for the trailblazer would also be about the same price.

After trying to find one for a trailblazer for 5 minutes google led me to good ole trailvoy where there's a thread about it. The part number for the LED flasher relay for our cars is LM487 and unfortunately, from local part stores, that baby runs between $71 and $75! :lipsrsealed: I was shocked. :crazy: If you want to spend the money on it, then by all means do it, but I'd be too cheap to buy that and instead, deal with tapping wires to add some $5 resistors.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mooseman said:
Because they are wired in with the parking and signal light, the LED 194 can only do one or the other but not both. If you put it in one way, only the parking light will work, the other way, only the parking light.
:confused: I get the 194 is tied into the main turn signal and that an LED only works one way.

So your saying that the 194 LED will either function as a parking light or a turn signal depending on how you put it in? That it will not perform both functions?

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
That is correct.. I think lol.. Most leds are polarized.and being the 194 only has 2 wires, it is hooked to the park circuit and the turn circuit.

So if you put the bulb in so it works with park lamps.. It is getting power from the park side, and ground through the turn side.. Wen you turn your turn signal on the light will go out.

Now if you put it in so it works with turn signal, it will go out when just your park lights are on BC its getting power from turn side, and ground through park then..

Lol hope that made sense.. Its been a long week already haha

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Its does make sense, but I am just confused based on how my 194's act compared to what you guys are describing.

So basically if my parking lights are on and I have the 194 in so that it is on with the parking lights, my 194 should go out and stay out (not flash) while the turn signal is on?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not quite fellas. If you have a 194 LED in, to run with the parking lights, at night when you activate your turn signal, it will blink off when the turn signal activates. I had a regular 194 LED bulb prior to putting the switchback in there. The current filament bulb does the same thing, since the 2 incoming current signals cancel each other out.

They do make non polarized 194 bulbs, I have a pair in my parts bin, that will function just like a filament bulb does.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Hmm.. So then the only draw back with an led is you won't have it either flash without park lights, or it won't be on with park lamps without turn signal being on... Depending which way you put it in of course..??

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
lol, you're almost there.

If you have a polarized 194 bulb, and put the positive on the light/dark blue wire, it will light up with the turn signals only, as long as the parking lights are off. (as small as they are, this functionality is more or less useless)

If you put the positive on the brown wire, it will light up with the parking lights, and blink off with the turn signals when the parking lights are on. This will make it appear out of phase with the 3157 turn signals up front, which is currently what happens with the stock bulbs.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
My 194s are on with the parking lights. When I use my turn signal with the parking/headlights lights on the 194 will blink on and off opposite of the 3157. It will do the same with the hazard lights.

One thing I have noticed is that if the parking/headlights are off and I use my turn signal or hazards, only the 3157 will flash, the 194 will not. I have had LEDs for so long I am not sure if this was the same behavior when I had incandescent bulbs installed :undecided:

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dmanns67 said:
My 194s are on with the parking lights. When I use my turn signal with the parking/headlights lights on the 194 will blink on and off opposite of the 3157. It will do the same with the hazard lights.

One thing I have noticed is that if the parking/headlights are off and I use my turn signal or hazards, only the 3157 will flash, the 194 will not. I have had LEDs for so long I am not sure if this was the same behavior when I had incandescent bulbs installed :undecided:
:yes: That's scenario #2. I think I got my non polarized 194s from SuperbrightLEDs, and ended up never using them. Then I go through my parts bin and have one of those "
wtf.gif
is this?" moments. Then I'm like "Oh yeah, I remember that..." :biggrin:

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Haha makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up. I was just getting confused by earlier posts because my 194s was not displaying the behavior that was described.

Black07SS

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
so ur saying if I buy a non polarized 194 led it should work perfect?? or is just easier to get the flasher?? and where is the flasher located to change out?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Black07SS said:
so ur saying if I buy a non polarized 194 led it should work perfect?? or is just easier to get the flasher?? and where is the flasher located to change out?
Not perfect, just slightly different, and you need to be mindful of how you plug it in, as it will behave in 1 of the 2 ways I outlined earlier.

The flasher module is just above the brake pedal, and to the left. It's held in by plastic clips to the knee bolster panel, which is held to the dash by a pair of 7mm hex head screws.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online