• Silver Bezel, Clear Corner

• Silver Bezel, Orange Corner

Results are only viewable after voting.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Looking for thoughts and opinions on a small upcoming project...

So my Envoy XUV needs some new eyeballs. I am currently running HID's, may go to LED, but the snow here in Denver today is making me think I am going to stay with HID, or back to halogen.

So my question is, my Envoy is Liquid Silver Metallic, with no other mods other than the HID's.

Here are my headlight options...

Attachments

• Black Clear.jpg
    Black Clear.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Black Orange.jpg
    Black Orange.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Silver Clear.jpg
    Silver Clear.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Silver Orange.jpg
    Silver Orange.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Mike534x

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'll cast a vote but need some info from you. Is your grill all chrome or black center with chrome around like the first pic.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Chrome Shroud, Black Insert, Chrome and Red GMC Decal

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm partial to blacked out anything and don't care much for the amber corner.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
OP;
What's wrong with your original headlights?
If they're just hazed-over (on the outside) and you are discarding them, please let me know. I might be interested in buying and refinishing them. I do not need the bulbs.

I have a new automotive grade clearcoat that I want to try out on a set of headlight lens'. I've done about 5 sets of headlights over the past few years with clearcoat and love the finish, but I want to try a new product that I purchased from a local auto body supply shop. Of course, I'd need to re-sell them to someone who can test 'em out since I no longer have an Envoy.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've done about 5 sets of headlights over the past few years with clearcoat and love the finish

Which clearcoat have you been using?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
The first clear I bought and used was USC 40 Glamour Clear Coat. The local body supply up north had it in stock and was trying to promote it for a cheap price.

After that, I got to know some people at another body supply shop that sold PPG products. I really did not need a whole gallon of clear though since I was only doing smaller-type parts, so I mainly purchased PPG clear in quart sizes.

Between the two though, PPG seemed to lay a bit better, but all in all, they ranked about the same in durability and shine. I was custom painting parts for the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO; Lower bumper inserts, LS2 intake manifolds, radiator covers, etc.

One guy had a phantom black metallic (PBM) GTO with silver racing stripes, so I matched the two paint codes and did this for his manifold, then used the USC clear on it:

Attachments

• PBM Striped Manifold 001.JPG
    PBM Striped Manifold 001.JPG
    610 KB · Views: 11
  • PBM Striped Manifold 006.JPG
    PBM Striped Manifold 006.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 11
  • PBM Striped Manifold 007.JPG
    PBM Striped Manifold 007.JPG
    602.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I do not have pics of the headlights that I clear'd though. I took many of photo's when I first started painting, then kinda forgot to take pics as time went on and I got busier.

Also, my apologies to the OP. Did not mean to reroute the original topic.

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
For purely selfish reasons, I'm glad you did. :smile:

I have a TBSS intake that I want shot in my truck's color (no stripes needed, although they look nice). If you're interested, shoot me a PM. Thx.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good info (and nice work!). I thought it was rattle can stuff or something like that.

Back on topic... If they are too damaged or will not restore, a yard may be a possible option. I think there are two in my local yard and IIRC, they had just the usual haze on them.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
New headlights are cheap enough that I am not worried about finding a set..

My headlights are originals to the truck. and althou still functional, they just are not showing well anymore.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
New headlights are cheap enough that I am not worried about finding a set..

My headlights are originals to the truck. and althou still functional, they just are not showing well anymore.
When you get them, put some sort of sealant along where the lenses and the headlight assembly meet. All 3 pairs of my aftermarket headlights always started to allow moisture inside after 1-2 years. Just a heads up, i'll be getting a 4th here soon.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86