Headlight question

mo_86_05

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I want to do something different to my truck. I have an 02 silverado ext cab. The color is pweter. Im looking at upgrading my headlights. Problem is, i dont know what i want! Should i go led? Or should i go hid? Also, what site should i buy from? I would rather have something i dont have to cut, but i dont mind to do it if need be. Help please! Also, i would like to upgrade interior lights to led. How much trouble would this be?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I would not go LED because they are not designed for the reflector, throwing light where it is not needed and not putting light where it is needed. I would be careful with HID's because they also aren't designed for the reflectors. Excessive glare will not be liked by other traffic. Because of the design of the front lens, I would suggest aftermarket projectors with HIDs.

The interior isn't too difficult to change over to LED. Several of us have done that. You'll have more trouble deciding how bright you want it and what color.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
My personal opinion with headlights is to do a projector retrofit with HIDs. HIDs in a stock housing (Not designed for HIDs) causes a lot of glare at night for oncoming traffic due to the reflector being designed for a halogen bulb. Vehicles that have HIDs from the factory in a reflector type housing are designed differently and are more box shaped to direct the light without the glare.

I would not recommend LEDs for headlight applications. They will scatter light and you will not have enough light luminating further down the road at night. Incase you are not aware, your standard halogen bulb produces about 1,000 lumens and a 4300k HID bulb produces 3,200 lumens (The higher you go up in the kelvin scale, the less lumens and light color changes from white to blue/purple). When I switched from halogens to HIDs, it was literally like night and day.

A projector will direct the light produced by HIDs and prevent the glare for oncoming traffic. A projector has a cutoff shield inside which cuts off the light and prevents other drivers from being blinded. I have a picture below of mine to show you what I am talking about. I could see a huge improvement over just HIDs in stock housing.

View attachment 30325

I purchased all of my HID kits and projectors/parts from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications. They are an awesome company out of Atlanta with a very well known reputation. Their customer service and warranties are phenomenal. Their prices are more than what you will find on EBay, but definitely quality over quantity.

As far as converting all of your interior lights to LEDs, that is just plug and play. I have bought LEDs from many different companies, but so far the best company, IMHO, I have come across is High Performance LED Car Lighting, Light Bulbs, LED Headlights, Taillights, Turn Signals, and Brake Lights. I have been using their LEDs for my interior lights, turn signals, reverse lights, and license plate lights for a couple years and not one LED has burnt out. Also, V-Leds will label their bulbs with a kelvin color. Most companies I came across do not. They will label them as white, but really it will look blue. Any of their LEDs labeled 5k will be bright white, so it will make it easier to make sure all of your bulbs match.

Attachments

• 20130412_210845.jpg
    20130412_210845.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 14

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I bought the ebay ones, they work fine and only cost about $250. Wish I had the time and resources to do the full retrofit, that will be for another time. Until then I get to drool over you guys that have the ambition and spare time.

xOgrex

Sep 17, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I bought the ebay ones, they work fine and only cost about $250. Wish I had the time and resources to do the full retrofit, that will be for another time. Until then I get to drool over you guys that have the ambition and spare time.

Any chance you could post a link to the ones you bought? I'd like HID's but don't feel i have the technical expertise (or the extra funds if I break something) to mod my stock lights.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Here you go.

Trailblazer CCFL Angel EYE Halo Projector Headlights W LED Daytime Running FOG | eBay

HID's would have to be purchased separately. Numerous threads with brand recommendations, horror stories etc. I bought mine off Amazon, Kensun brand. Have never had an issue. One of the recommended manufacturers would be my next choice. 9006/9005 would fit fine in the low beam (projector side), the high beam side is a different bulb, I still need to buy a set or mod the mounting area.

I cannot guarantee that these are the same sellers, from what I have seen they are all made by the same manufacturer. Although some people have had issues, others including my self have not. My only complaint is the cutoff is a bit funky. I plan on doing some work to make it work better for me, but they work great other wise.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online