Headlight question

matty8412

Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Canada
Does anybody have any issues with using LED headlights bulbs and the inside of the housing getting dirty or moisture build-up due to the dust cap being off? Just want to know before I gi out and buy some

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
No but. Our headlights aren't designed for LED's and you'll be throwing the light everywhere including into other drivers eyes. Also, depending on where you live, LED's don't get hot so snow will stick to the lights reducing visibility. You're better off getting HID's with a good set of retrofitted projectors.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I tried LED in my stock housings recently since i have tried every other bulb and it is the first time I have been brighted. I took em out after a couple days cause i did want to be one of those assholes with the shitty headlights blinding people.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I took em out after a couple days cause i did want to be one of those assholes with the shitty headlights blinding people.
THANK YOU HARDTRAILZ for not wanting to blind others. Way to many folks nowadays just don't give a darn and makes driving at night Miserable. Heck several days ago one dude was BEHIND me in broad daylight and I needed to flip up my rearview mirror because it was way toooo bright.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I ran them on big roads once, got brighted. Gave it another chance and was on backroads. Had a buddy have me follow and drive toward him. Called and asked him bout the lights and he says...."F-CK YOU" so I knew they were irresponsible and did not drive it til i swapped em.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I'm running HID - no complaints. The headlight housing has a reflector in front of the bulb that prevents any significant change in the light pattern. The only thing that can change is the lumen rating.

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
We got to keep in mind here that @HARDTRAILZ is lifted, probably the highest lifted on this sight so there's only so low you can adjust the reflector bowls in the headlights.

I've got 72 watt lasfit LEDs in the TBSS at stock height and no issue what so ever with them. I adjust the reflector bowl from about 30 feet off a wall on a pretty flat ground.

As for the Voy I've had HID and no issue. The Voy is dropped 2" up front and level the rear to match.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was never brighted in years and years of HID in stock housings. LED was the killer change in things. I have mine aimed well and i do have some rake so they are actually aimed down just a bit from level at 25 feet from a flat wall. Even lifted my lights are only about stock full size level.

Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I ran HIDs in stock housings for a couple of years and didn't get flashed. Funny part is, when I finally finished my first projector retrofit, there were a couple of intersections on my commute, where if you were the first car at the stop light, your front end was elevated. I got flashed multiple times by cars in the opposing turn lane across the intersection with the projectors, when I never got flashed with reflector bowls + HIDs in the same spots. :bonk:

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Does anybody have any issues with using LED headlights bulbs and the inside of the housing getting dirty or moisture build-up due to the dust cap being off? Just want to know before I gi out and buy some
I just installed some led's a couple days ago and I was able to leave the dust cap on.

Reactions: matty8412

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just wanted to add to my LED experience and the comment on mine being lifted. The vehicle I used to test my lighting against was a pretty new 4x4 suburban that basically is about my size. It was miserable for him, so i can only imagine what those lights would do to someone driving a car.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online