NEED HELP Headlight Dilema

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hi everyone

Now is there any way that installing a HID kit could trigger a Check Engine Light. When I first installed my HIDs the light came on the next day and was on for a while giving me a misfire in cylinder 3. That was not the case at all and disappeared after replacing the air filter. Yesterday I took the TB out at night and noticed one of the bulbs was out. So I stopped the car and just touched the connector a bit and the headlamp came back on and so did the Check Engine Light. I do plan on taking the whole HID kit out and reinstall it, but will this CEL disappear once I reinstall the Headlamp properly or should I just clear the code?

Anyone have this happen before?

Might even chalk some cash to buy an OBDII scanner and play with these codes myself rather than take it to the local repair shop!

Thanks

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
I would definitely get an OBDII scanner. Can be had for cheap online, and then download an app on your phone that will sync up with said scanner.

I doubt there is any correlation, but hard to know without knowing what code(s) you have.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree: with Sib on this one. Never experienced nor have heard of anyone getting a CEL due to a HID kit. I would have to say its more of a coincidence than anything. Definitely get your codes read then we can assist from there.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You did disable the DRL? I know this can damage HID ballasts.

I agree that you need a code scanner and get the codes.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I don't have DRL systems in my car thank fully but I still have the perimeter lighting which causes the strobe effect. So I more and more try to unlock using the keys at night time. Have to try again at the Cap mod. However in a then of events the CEL light has disappeared today before I could get the code read. I guess jus one of those GM things.

Thanks to everyone for their help

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Yeah, HID shouldn't throw any code at all since it's only a 12V DC circuit. At most it would blow the fuse in the engine bay fuse box but no code. DRL or not, still wouldn't force a code.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175