Headlamp washer motor? is this it?

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Hey Guys,
I had a thread on the OS when my headlamp washer motor failed me and stopped working. I checked out the fuses and all seem ok, so now i'm just about to place an order on a new motor. Is this what i'm gonna be replacing? :redface:

21c35940-1.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Quite honestly, headlight washers were not a very popular option in North America so not too much info on them. Maybe try to PM Trailblazer075. He's from France and I know he has them so he may be able to help you out.

Don't know why it's not popular here since we would need them with the snow and road spray. Headlights are always dirty. Thinking of trying to retrofit them on mine.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
fadyasha said:
Hey Guys,
I had a thread on the OS when my headlamp washer motor failed me and stopped working. I checked out the fuses and all seem ok, so now i'm just about to place an order on a new motor. Is this what i'm gonna be replacing? :redface:

21c35940-1.jpg

That's the headlight washer pump. :yes:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks bud!

today started getting this squeaky noise from front end while turning right mostly. Still need more diagnostics before know what's going on. Gonna be a busy week lol

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Mooseman said:
Quite honestly, headlight washers were not a very popular option in North America so not too much info on them. Maybe try to PM Trailblazer075. He's from France and I know he has them so he may be able to help you out.

Don't know why it's not popular here since we would need them with the snow and road spray. Headlights are always dirty. Thinking of trying to retrofit them on mine.

I think it is because in Europe, washers are required if a car comes with OEM HID's and a lot of cars have them over there. HID's haven't caught on in the USA nearly as fast. I get why the SAAB 9-7 comes with the headlight washers which physically pop out of the bumper and retract since it has standard HID's if you got the v8, but never got why only the Envoy got them. You'd think the Rainier would have got them too. Do you recall when some cars had washers and wipers on the headlights. I think it may have been BMW, SAAB or maybe Volvo, but I can't remember.

Filter

Dec 5, 2011
Jkust said:
I think it is because in Europe, washers are required if a car comes with OEM HID's and a lot of cars have them over there. HID's haven't caught on in the USA nearly as fast. I get why the SAAB 9-7 comes with the headlight washers which physically pop out of the bumper and retract since it has standard HID's if you got the v8, but never got why only the Envoy got them. You'd think the Rainier would have got them too. Do you recall when some cars had washers and wipers on the headlights. I think it may have been BMW, SAAB or maybe Volvo, but I can't remember.

Mercedes always had them. :puke:

US%20Headlight%20close%20up.JPG

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There was a TB special edition (North Face?) that had the washers.

Not sure about the Bravada, Ascender or Ranier.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Jkust said:

I know that Trailblazer075's '02 TB has the washers but no HID's. Looking through the grilles, there is the option for the washers but the replacements don't come with the washers themselves and I couldn't locate them in GMPartsDirect. I'd almost have to locate a junker.

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Mooseman said:
I know that Trailblazer075's '02 TB has the washers but no HID's. Looking through the grilles, there is the option for the washers but the replacements don't come with the washers themselves and I couldn't locate them in GMPartsDirect. I'd almost have to locate a junker.

Yeh you're right. I purchased the motor from Americas top Auto, an ebay vendor I usually purchase from. Excellent deal $10 :wootwoot:! I'm a usual customer so he gave me an excellent price :eek:

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
There was a TB special edition (North Face?) that had the washers.

Not sure about the Bravada, Ascender or Ranier.

An FYI my TB was imported from General Motors Japan not USA or Middle East. The LTZ models here don't have the washer either. I got me a Japanese American car! LOL! :rotfl:

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Even if i live i Sweden where every Swedish sold TB has headlight washers, i dont because mine is a US import, but i can try to help you with pics and whatever i can find.

Starting with a pic of a regular windshield washer pump.

Spolarpump Vindruta - Chevrolet TrailBlazer -02 - W314030

This is a pic of a high pressure headlight washer pump. GM number:22143196

Spolarpump / Högtryck / Strålkastare - Chevrolet TrailBlazer -02 - W314033

This is a pic of the EU lightswitch including washer and fogs and height adjustment for the lights. GM no:15085699

Ljus Strömställare - Chevrolet TrailBlazer -03 - W269930

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Harpo said:
Even if i live i Sweden where every Swedish sold TB has headlight washers, i dont because mine is a US import, but i can try to help you with pics and whatever i can find.

Starting with a pic of a regular windshield washer pump.

Spolarpump Vindruta - Chevrolet TrailBlazer -02 - W314030

This is a pic of a high pressure headlight washer pump.

Spolarpump / Högtryck / Strålkastare - Chevrolet TrailBlazer -02 - W314033

This is a pic of the EU lightswitch including washer and fogs and height adjustment for the lights.

Ljus Strömställare - Chevrolet TrailBlazer -03 - W269930

Thanks it does make things more clear. From the looks of it that's the same I got in my first picture woohoo!

About ur Tb look at the bright side at least you're unique :tongue:

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
fadyasha said:
Thanks it does make things more clear. From the looks of it that's the same I got in my first picture woohoo!

About ur Tb look at the bright side at least you're unique :tongue:

You can say that im unique, i got one of the two existing EXT:s that are in Sweden, and the only 2002. The other one is a 2003.:biggrin:

Do you have the lightswitch in my picture??

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Harpo said:
You can say that im unique, i got one of the two existing EXT:s that are in Sweden, and the only 2002. The other one is a 2003.:biggrin:

Do you have the lightswitch in my picture??

Haha cool! Yeh I do but not identical. I only got one button for the fog lights and on top of that the headlamp washer button and I don't have the the bottom right knob which I'm assuming is for the auto light leveling? Mine is manual :sadcry:

I guess the Japanese aren't so cool after all lol! Do you have that blackbox function? u can record what happens in the car and playback and stuff.

That's cool but useless unless ure being kidnapped maybe :s

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Jkust said:

My Envoy has the headlamp washers and every Envoy SLT Ive ever seen has them. It cant be too hard to retrofit on a truck without. At least with the Envoys, the washers are built right into the grille. Not sure where they are located on a TB.

Ive probably used mine a dozen times in all the years, and most the time I activate them by accident :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good info on the washer. I wouldn't have thought it was a special high pressure pump to work these. I was going to try and just use a regular pump if I could get the other components. Maybe just grab an Envoy tank with the pumps. Here we have really bad road spray and lights get dirty often.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
fadyasha said:
Haha cool! Yeh I do but not identical. I only got one button for the fog lights and on top of that the headlamp washer button and I don't have the the bottom right knob which I'm assuming is for the auto light leveling? Mine is manual :sadcry:

I guess the Japanese aren't so cool after all lol! Do you have that blackbox function? u can record what happens in the car and playback and stuff.

That's cool but useless unless ure being kidnapped maybe :s

That is actually a knob for manual adjustment with four positions 0 normal and 1 2 3 for different loads.

Nope, never heard of a blackbox thing, must be some Japanese thing.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Mooseman said:
Good info on the washer. I wouldn't have thought it was a special high pressure pump to work these. I was going to try and just use a regular pump if I could get the other components. Maybe just grab an Envoy tank with the pumps. Here we have really bad road spray and lights get dirty often.

You have to have a highpressure pump to make some use of this washer, just squirt some water on your headlights makes no difference.

You can in this pic see the chromed washnozzle between the headlight and blinker, they would pop out of the high pressured water and spray quite hard on the headlamp.

I think the nozzle goes right thru the the headlamp between the lowbeam and the blinker and are just two pieces of pipe in each other with a spring that gives for the waterpressure. So what you need is to find the nozzles and a GM or any other HP pump and some hose. And a nice button to make it all work.
image.php

I will try to get some info on the nozzles.

View attachment 17808

Attachments

• 4410758314.jpg
    4410758314.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 54

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Ive probably used mine a dozen times in all the years, and most the time I activate them by accident :biggrin:

Interesting, the 9-7 activates them automaticaly with the first swipe of the wipers when you use the windshield washer no matter what if the headlights are on. Then every 4th swipe of the wipers after if you pressed the wash button. I don't quite get the pressing logic behind requiring the high pressure washers and HID's.

borretje

Jan 1, 2012
I have them too,and i will have a look today

fadyasha

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
View attachment 2634[/QUOTE]

That's a sexy looking TB lol!

Here's a closer pic of mine showing the nozzles and here's a picture of the buttons inside. The way it works is yes, once you press the inside button the sprinklers (or whatever you wanna call them) go out through the nozzles "Spray twice" pretty hard I may add and go back in.

0a151d8b.jpg

a90367f4-1.jpg

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Jkust said:
Interesting, the 9-7 activates them automaticaly with the first swipe of the wipers when you use the windshield washer no matter what if the headlights are on. Then every 4th swipe of the wipers after if you pressed the wash button. I don't quite get the pressing logic behind requiring the high pressure washers and HID's.

Here in Sweden the "logic" is,, If you have HID:s you have to have auto levelling lowbeams and headlight washers/wipers because of the high intensity of light as the HID pruduces it might blind oncoming traffic if aimed wrong or are to dirty and the dirt will scatter the light and be somewhat blinding as well, if you understand what i mean.

You can see that effect when you meet a car without projectors with slightly dirty headlights. With projectors that effect is not that visible.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher