NEED HELP Head lights went out

pell

Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Pelham, NH
Was on the highway last night stuck in construction traffic and my headlights went out. Thought I read about this here but can't find the post. Any help would be appreciated. I turn the switch on and off a couple of times and they came back on.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Was on the highway last night stuck in construction traffic and my headlights went out. Thought I read about this here but can't find the post. Any help would be appreciated. I turn the switch on and off a couple of times and they came back on.

Low beams AND high beams or just low beams?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Probable Culprit? Solid State Relay. Check out this Video from around 2:40 onward. This entire Video is a decent Primer on this Problem as the VOP (Video Original Poster) provides a CAUTION against using ordinary Solenoid Style Relays... lest the vehicle owner wind up accidentally 'Cooking the Body Control Module'.

HEADLIGHTDIAGRAM.gif

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Sort of curios in the video he never points out that you simply cannot put a regular relay in where the HDM and fan control solid state modules are. The pins layout is entirely different to prevent that from being possible!

If one wishes to test the functioning of the solid state module you can command the module to full power output by grounding terminal #5. This will also work for the fan clutch, being the identical part. I use a length of light duty wire, solid core to avoid loose strands getting astray...

IMG_20210919_165452.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online