HDM failed..............again

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
This seems to be a yearly thing for the last 4 years. Left dinner to go home and no low beam headlights, again. This is why I keep a spare hdm in the console. Is there a root cause for it to keep failing? Pricey little buggers they are.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
What brand? This is usually an oem only part as the aftermarkets exhibit these actions or worse... Meltdown.

Mine failed once but the acdelco replacement is still going years later.

Reactions: Mooseman

mark'stb

Original poster
Dec 17, 2011
GM. I'm tempted to open it up and make a jumper from terminal 2 to 4 and see what happens.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You may need to bite the bullet and pay the $120 for the updated one.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
without looking at the schematic, it is likely all you would lose is the "reduced daytime running" light level...my guess which may or may not be a problem in terms of headlight longevity.

and now looking at the operation... the other "big problem" would be when and if you use your brights, both hi and low would be on at the same time since the HDM was "hot wired" to always be on.

Of course, the bigger problem would likely be that fact that the "hot wiring" would leave you with the headlight always ON... tough on batteries... :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe check out the u-pull yards. For some reason, the earlier years didn't exhibit this problem. Grab a pocketful of spares while you're there :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.