Hayden fan clutch #3200?

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hello all, I need a fan clutch yesterday. My local store has the old Hayden part# available on hold for me at the moment, however after reading a few threads about obtaining the new design I am wondering if I should wait. I can only find the #3201 design online and I need my TB running before the part will come. Should I wait it out or will the old design be perfectly functional? I am used the cold temp roar (I do the same thing if it's cold enough out). Thanks in advance.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Depending on your daily drive, you can get by without a fan clutch (and fan) fan for a couple days. just keep an eye on that temp gauge, and skip the a/c.

Then again, the old design seems to have worked for you for nine years.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had several of the old design die. I am glad i changed, but I am hard on my truck. Some have great luck with the old style even though GM thought a change back was better.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
what year is your truck? I've been researching this clutch issue as well....the roaring is normal upon startup....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
06. My clutch is 08 style and roars til 160 degrees

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Update: New "old" design, Hayden p#3200, shut me CEL off upon startup. Perhaps it was the battery disconnect but my torque pro will take care of any lights that may come back.

I was driving with the code for more than a few days, babying it. But then my water pump failed and on my "better make it home" drive back, the alternator won't hold a charge. Killed it twice to coast and prevent overheating.

Hoping all is well now. Thanks meerschm for reminding me that the old design did last 9 1/2 years.

Side note: anyone know difference between the 330 clock position and 4 clock position for alternators besides the obvious? Both were available but no visable differences.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
the clock position, isn't it the plug position when mounting it, I have no clue.... :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Never heard of those positions or any differences

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I have the older one. I replaced it November 2012. Just checked and it's 141 with free shipping on Amazon right now.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
KNBlazer: we did. Looked identical. Saw them side by side myself.

Haven't driven it yet, but the code changed to P0526. First time that # appeared. I reconnected the fan shroud plug on top and reset the code. Will drive it in the morning as I refilled the coolant and took care of tpms sensor on wife's new, to her, car.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
KNBlazer: we did. Looked identical. Saw them side by side myself.

Haven't driven it yet, but the code changed to P0526. First time that # appeared. I reconnected the fan shroud plug on top and reset the code. Will drive it in the morning as I refilled the coolant and took care of tpms sensor on wife's new, to her, car.
the P0526 probably was the result of the water pump going out... or it could just be a coincidence that both parts failed at the same time... I would clear all codes with scanner and go from there....

not sure if you have read, but other members sometimes have issues with non oem parts including fan clutches.... most though have been dorman I believe.... been reading Hayden has been the preferred aftermarket fan clutch of choice... personally I wouldn't go aftermarket... An AcDelco unit can be had for less than $230 from either ebay or amazon, however, a much shorter warranty period...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
ACDelco clutch is made by Behr I think, and so is the Hayden, so you're getting the same thing regardless. That's why people recommend the Hayden as it is the same part without the extra cost of simply being branded ACDelco.

Reactions: KNBlazer

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
Sparky said:
ACDelco clutch is made by Behr I think, and so is the Hayden, so you're getting the same thing regardless. That's why people recommend the Hayden as it is the same part without the extra cost of simply being branded ACDelco.
Although, I've read that too, I've also read that there are different tiers on manufactured parts... don't know how much you can weigh your decision on this, but supposedly GM parts are top tier, while AcDelco are 2nd tier, and so on.... again, I read that online.. where the differences are I don't know...I had an experience with an ign module on a different car, bought the chain brand and car wouldn't fire up, exchanged it for a new one and still no go, went back and bought a more expensive ($100 more) Niehoff module and fired up on first crank....why the store branded part didn't work, I will never know...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'll bet the chain brand vs the Niehoff weren't the same manufacturer though.

I think it was confirmed the Behr part number was the same on both ACDelco and Hayden.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
P0526 came on because I started it up before plugging in the harness. 50 miles later there is no code and my 20+ highway mpgs came back. I'll save the old harness to be safe. Hopefully it will last 9 years like the old one.

Reactions: meerschm

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I recently installed the Hayden 3200. $137.47 with free shipping from apco1945 on ebay. It arrived quickly. Very happy with it.

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Paul Bell said:
I recently installed the Hayden 3200. $137.47 with free shipping from apco1945 on ebay. It arrived quickly. Very happy with it.
That was cheaper than Rockauto. I would have ordered online but found myself in a jam. TB runs like a champ (for) now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online