have I just ruined my new AC or bad gasoline

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
Have I just ruined my new AC or bad gasoline

Just installed new AC sys. Which includes compressor,sucksion an discharge tubes,dryer an condenser.

Took my first cruise the other day w/ cool air,about 6 miles on expressway now I’m hearing a rattling noise from engine sounds kindof like bad gasoline which I got 12 gallons of at Costco.

I’ve double checked to see if anything is loose or disconnected. I’ve had bad gasoline over the years which sounded similar but much louder.

1.Could I have ruined my compressor w/ only 6 miles?

2. I have my receipt should I immediately complain to Costco , new engine would be nice if there gasoline ruined mine.

two days after rattling she still rattles AC is still cool.
3. like if there's a problem w/ AC compressor would it grenade?
4.should this crummie gasoline be drained out?

Edit she makes that noise even w/ AC off

Thanks for any good advice.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Likely your AC is fine and you maybe got some bad gas. Likely didn't ruin the engine. Just drain out the gas from the tank and see if there's water in it. I used the fuel pressure line with the fuel pump running to drain it once and it did have water. Once refilled with fresh gas, it was fine.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
OK so I can't siphion out from tank?
are you saying to remove the shraider valve at fuel line an leave key on in on position? thanks Mooseman

edit: should I go back in person to complain to costco

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
edit: should I go back in person to complain to costco
You almost need evidence that it was their gas that caused the issue. However, they are very protective of their reputation and will either just pay for the work to tow and have the bad gas pumped out or fight you all the way just saying it's not their fault and you're the only one that had issues. Or maybe they will say they got a bad batch of fuel and others have had problems. Can't hurt to ask.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I just called them asked for the manager explained the situation w/ there gas an the rattleing. the real manager is susposed to call back. I'm betting I'm not the only one class action.
are you saying I should take the car to them for the evidence? I have the paper reciept to prove I purchased the fuel there, however my costco card isn't linked to purchase bc it doesn't work at the pumps the man that works there use's his card to turn on pump. I have my credit card to prove the purchase. I'd prefer to not drive it to prevent engine damage.should be asking for a engine an fuel sys. replacement? thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Engine replacement ain't gonna happen. Fuel system neither except for drain, flush, replace the filter and refill. I have had this problem and all I did was drain the tank via the fuel line disconnected at the fuel rail, slip a fuel line on it and running the pump, add a little fuel, drain again for the last bit of water, refill and go. When I pumped it out, it was very evident it had water.

Only thing that happens with water in fuel is it runs like ass, if at all.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
so I should get a written estimate of the repair
tow $70,drain$100,flush$100, new filter $50 plus inconveniece $200 an refund on fuel$35. or am I ready greedy?gotta let them know I did'nt fall of the turnup truck last week.

I know the feeling when the car runs like ass, I have removed the ram air baffles in hood and sealed the hood to air intake when it rains hard she's will run like ass.
if it's seriously poring cats an dogs I'll have to pull over under a bridge.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Has the manager called back? If there was a problem, they would have heard from others, especially with the amount of gas they sell. In that case, they will likely cooperate for repairs.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
No manager hasn't called back yet. costco has excellent customer service so I'll wait.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
dam I'm a complete dumass on this bad gas. somehow low octane got in my tank. I always get 93 octane for car or 91 if available.
I looked at my receipt it said regular looked at previous receipt it said premium dam.
anyway they did call back, an wanted me to fill out forms. didn't want see any evidence just my word was good enough.
so looks like I'll be siphoning out the fuel, if thats possiable? I have smaller tube w/ a bulb primer not sure if the tube will get by the trap door inside the gastank tube? or is that just for desil vehicals?

I'll get as much out as I can an use it in my tow vehicle it use's low octane.

not sure how this happened the chinese guy in front of me was playing around w/ the pump he had a American flag on his car I think this made me have a brain fart dam.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know why you think it need 91 or 93 octane when these are designed to run on 87 (regular) octane. That's what I run mine on (as well as the Saab with the 5.3 at the time). Heck, I even run it in my Caprice with the 6.0L. I say pump it out and see if you have water in it.

Now if Costco sells lower than 87 octane and you put that in there, then yeah, that can cause issues. But if it's 87 octane, it's fine unless it has water.

Of course this all depends if yours is tuned to run on 91 (i.e. it was hooked up to HPTuners and modified). Otherwise, it's a waste of money to run higher octane in vehicles that don't require it.

Reactions: Redbeard

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
no no it's my car. (my saab is a backyard ornament having a hard time finding a used engine for it) heads/cam/LTs/intake HP tune. even stock it requires minium 91, even after modding she'll run fine on 91 it's been almost 20 years since it was tuned not sure if the tuner set it to 93. anyway I f-ed this up, the man that returned the call knows me bc we chat a little at the store like when you gonna get my favorites back ect. next time I show up an if I see him I'll let him know I F-ed up.
btw the fuel tank feed lines trap door prevents the small siphon tube, whats the function of this TD is it emmisions related. not that I'm 2nd guessing having a locking fuel cap bc some low life thinks he needs my gas more than I need it but prevent another low life from putting say sugar in there.
I'll probably remove fuel rails schraider valve an pump out as you recommended
I thought I ruined my new AC compressor. bc I'm still confussed on the amount of oil the sys. takes GM say 9oz but GPD says 5.1oz an only in the compressor weird. I've driven her maybe 35 miles since AC rebuild so if I had insufficient amount of oil would she have grenaded by now?

I think the sys could use a few more LBs of freon she blows cool but I think a new sys. should be freezing cold.

my guages read 34psi on low side around 170ish high side ambient temp, 82*
thanks Mooseman

Attachments

• TA1.jpg
    TA1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 5
  • initial recharge.jpg
    initial recharge.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 5
  • recharge min--max freon charge.jpg
    recharge min--max freon charge.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 4

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
no no it's my car.
Ah, that explains a few things. I just associate you to the Saab. :biggrin:

I wouldn't remove the shrader valve. Just disconnect the fuel line going into the fuel rail, slip a hose over the end and jump the fuel pump relay to run the pump continuously. Be sure you have a lot a gas cans if your tank is full or another vehicle to dump it in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online