Hauling a jet ski

xxchadallacxx

Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Northern California
Hey guys. I'm hopefully picking up a 1 person jet ski tomorrow. I already have a 3 seater ski that I tow on a single trailer. I'm hoping to put the stand up ski in the back of the tb. The dimensions are really close, I should have about 2 inches of wiggle room. Has anyone ever put a ski in the back of their rig? Would it be okay to ratchet strap it down and leave the liftgate open? Any comments? Thanks so much!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Depending on how far you're traveling, you might get some blowback from law enforcement about driving with the liftgate open. How 'open' are you talking? Wide open? Might be a bit hard on the gate / mounting points, *and* the glass hatch (and don't stop at the drive-thru!)

If you're talking about unlatched, but strapped down - you'd probably be fine, if you're not going cross-country. Put some insulation / protection between the liftgate inner door surface and the rear of the jet ski, so you don't scratch the jet ski (at this point in time, the plastic cover on the inside of the liftgate is pretty much immaterial, right?) :laugh:

Guessing you're asking about this just so that you can get the new 1-up model home. Because I know that 'double' trailers exist for them (we have lots of watersports people where I live). And you should definitely be able to trailer both at once.

Last edited:

xxchadallacxx

Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Northern California
okay thanks for the input! yeah eventually i'll bite the bullet and buy a double trailer and then sell my single one. I will only be traveling 60 miles with the lift-gate open, if i can't close it with the ski in it. The measurements are very close, but i'm hoping to jam it in at an angle toward the front passenger seat. Fingers crossed, and ill be back tomorrow with an update!

Reactions: xavierny25

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I Put a JS300 in the back of my EXT. If you fold the wider of the two 60/40 seats it'll fit in the gap but it'll probably too long. I would expect if you put down both of the seats and put the shotgun seat all the way forward and completely leaned forward it might make it. I don't remember how much space I had but it was comfortable while it was in there straight. I could have fit two side by side with the extra 16 inches from the EXT. I would expect you could fit one.

Side note, glad to find another stand up guy, what kind of ski is it?

Reactions: xxchadallacxx

xxchadallacxx

Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Northern California
A little update: the ski fit just barely. the handlebars didn't clear so we stuck the ass end in first and ratchet strapped it all down. For the drive home, I had the lift gate closed almost all the way, using some bungee straps. When i took it out to the water today along with the single trailer however, i had to leave the lift-gate up so the crank for the trailer wheel would clear it. Had a blast on the river today, the new ski runs great. If anyone is wondering whether or not a one man ski will fit in a tb, if there's a will, there's a way. This rig has yet to let me down!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180808-215146_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20180808-215146_Snapchat.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20180808-215220_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20180808-215220_Snapchat.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20

xxchadallacxx

Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Northern California
Took the skis out again, same set up. Smaller one in the rig, 3 seater on the trailer. I'd go as far to say this is a safe and efficient way to haul the 2 of them. No bounce in the lift-gate, and no movement of the smaller ski.

Attachments

• 20180817_200620.jpg
    20180817_200620.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180817_200620.jpg
    20180817_200620.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180817_200609.jpg
    20180817_200609.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: m.mcmillen

Forum Statistics