Has anyone added a sunroof?

Joe D 04

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Like the title says.. I'm thinking about tackling the job :undecided:, but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience in doing it.

And No, I'm not going to trade my Trailblazer in for a equivalent one with a sunroof. I know what kind of running condition mine is in. Plus 70% of my replacement parts have lifetime warranties.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
You get what you pay for. I'd take it to a reputable shop and have them put a good one in. Usually the manual type or crank type leak a lot more than the motorized ones.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I considered it, but dont really think I need one. I figured if anything, i would just go all out and cut the whole roof out and do a sliding ragtop.

neelskit

Dec 7, 2011
willn513 said:
You get what you pay for. I'd take it to a reputable shop and have them put a good one in. Usually the manual type or crank type leak a lot more than the motorized ones.

:iagree:

Years ago, I worked at an auto glass shop. I have installed a dozen or so aftermarket sun roofs. A LOT of work is involved- especially if you want the glass to slide into the roof like the factory sunroof does. You have to run drainage tubes down the pillars, and cutting the headliner to match can be a HUGE PITA.

Pay a professional- especially when you have to cut a rather large hole in the roof of your truck.

Joe D 04

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I also thought about buying a used headliner with the sunroof already cut out of it since mine has a awkward bulge where a sunroof should be. Maybe even buying a used sunroof from a used trailblazer and figuring out a way to install it rather then buy an aftermarket.

x0duke0x

Feb 17, 2014
I was thinking of doing this project, I have the moonroof fully assembled, console switch. I need to figure out how to run the drain tubes correctly. I also will be taking it to a shop to do it... But again this is the OE stuff, not aftermarket. Any one got any tips? Measure 20 times and cut once will be the type of work I wanna see.. of course I'll be paying for the remeasures.. I also did think about finding a headliner with the holes already cut out as well. So I get a clean look.. Should I buy that The Sunroof Doctor? Or just move forward and see what happens? Your input would be great!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mine had a sunroof installed after the fact given how the wiring and drainage tubing is installed. But it was an OEM sunroof that a past owner had the dealership install, so it fits and works perfectly. Aside from the bit of retardation involved on how they cut the headliner board which eventually led to sagging, and the drainage tubes weren't really routed right and drain into my rockers :hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online