Has Anybody lifted a vehicle with G67 air level control suspension?

matermark

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
I thought I read somewhere that the G67 air suspension has adjustability in its sensors that will allow additional lift, but is that with or without spacers under the air springs? Please, this is not a thread to suggest to remove the air springs! I have spare parts to keep the G67 active & fully functional for the next 15 years, so don't bother suggesting converting to coil springs and different shocks or Z71 parts! Converting suggests the G67 beat you! You weren't calculating enough to figure it out! You took the easy way out instead of the challenge.

My question is:

Has Anybody lifted a vehicle with G67 air level control suspension? With or without spacers?
Are spacers even necessary on these to add lift in the 1" to 3" range?
What's the maximum you can gain by changing the sensor mounting points or sensor rod adjustment?
Are the spring pockets on the rearend the same with G67?

Thanks for any info/help!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I believe you can turn the sensor and get an inch or so lift

Reactions: matermark
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Let me start with the fact that I have the same suspension... and am somewhat interested in making this work as well.

Bear in mind that getting some/all of your rear lift by turning the rear sensors will simply inflate your rear airbags more than normal. This will raise the rear while also reducing available "up" travel and increasing available "down" travel. It will also stiffen the right a little as the air pressure in the bags will be higher. I know all of this because my compressor failed and I relaced it with a $3 "Tee" fitting joining the bag lines to the schrader valve line in the hatch. I add air as needed - about once every other month or so. I also like a higher rear ride height so I'm probably "close" to 2" rear lift. You'll also be near the top end of the travel on your stock shocks, but I don't know that I've ever "topped out" my shocks.

As long as these conditions are "ok" for you... you can do this. You "may" need to modify the rear level sensors to get that extra inch, though.

Reactions: matermark

matermark

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY

Attachments

• 100_0026.jpg
    100_0026.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_0038.jpg
    100_0038.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3

matermark

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
Let me start with the fact that I have the same suspension... and am somewhat interested in making this work as well.

Bear in mind that getting some/all of your rear lift by turning the rear sensors will simply inflate your rear airbags more than normal. This will raise the rear while also reducing available "up" travel and increasing available "down" travel. It will also stiffen the right a little as the air pressure in the bags will be higher. I know all of this because my compressor failed and I relaced it with a $3 "Tee" fitting joining the bag lines to the schrader valve line in the hatch. I add air as needed - about once every other month or so. I also like a higher rear ride height so I'm probably "close" to 2" rear lift. You'll also be near the top end of the travel on your stock shocks, but I don't know that I've ever "topped out" my shocks.

As long as these conditions are "ok" for you... you can do this. You "may" need to modify the rear level sensors to get that extra inch, though.
Thanks Tequila! Did you post your bypass on TrailVoy? it sounds familiar...

TO EVERYBODY: I think the official ground clearance on my '04 Envoy is stated as 8 inches. I don't know if that's the bottom of the front bumper cover lip/deflector, the rear swaybar/differential, the oil pan, or something else. Some nights (or days) we get more snow than that in a few hours! My last vehicle was a ZR2 truck--stock from the factory, I can stick my head between the tire tops (31x10.50R15's) and the fender flare bottoms, and the fenderwells were probably another 4-6" up. I don't know what to do when it snows with this Envoy... I wouldn't consider myself an off-roader but we get similar or worse conditions after or during LES...

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Thanks Tequila! Did you post your bypass on TrailVoy? it sounds familiar...

TO EVERYBODY: I think the official ground clearance on my '04 Envoy is stated as 8 inches. I don't know if that's the bottom of the front bumper cover lip/deflector, the rear swaybar/differential, the oil pan, or something else. Some nights (or days) we get more snow than that in a few hours! My last vehicle was a ZR2 truck--stock from the factory, I can stick my head between the tire tops (31x10.50R15's) and the fender flare bottoms, and the fenderwells were probably another 4-6" up. I don't know what to do when it snows with this Envoy... I wouldn't consider myself an off-roader but we get similar or worse conditions after or during LES...
I'm sure I did, but I might've also gotten the idea from there. The hardest part was getting the 3 way "Tee" fitting - well, getting just ONE of them. Grainger wanted me to buy 50 of them and they refused to open a bag and sell me just one...

As for snow, my 2002 Olds Bravada is AWD but otherwise identical to your Envoy and it does pretty good in the snow. I say "pretty good" because I've got the worst tires I've ever owned on it right now. They're so bad that AWD engages every time I start going again after stopping in the rain... every time. When I had very good all season semi-offroad tires on it, it was practically unstoppable in the snow. As for quantities of snow... I'm in central PA. It's not exactly Buffalo, NY... but on several occasions in the past few years we've gotten FEET in hours... and I've always made it home. I'm also a volunteer firefighter/EMR and do search and rescue. My Bravada has seen a fair amount of offroading and even pulled an ambulance out of a field when the inexperienced driver mistook a field entrance for a driveway. When I traveled 300 miles to attend my mother's funeral I got 10 miles from the funeral home when the road ahead of me was closed due to severe icing and several bad accidents. I opted to backtrack and take a "trail" to get around it. This turned into about 12 miles of what hardly qualify as dirt roads - very hilly ones at that - that hadn't ever seen a snow plow and it had snowed well over a foot by then and the trail that I remembered had been.... we'll say "neglected"... since I last drove on it 20 years prior.

"Ground Clearance" should refer to the lowest non-tire point on the vehicle... either the diff or the bottom of the steering knuckle. Lifting doesn't improve that without bigger tires and there are some caveats to be aware of if attempting to install larger tires. That's a topic all to itself.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online