Has any one used wheel adapters on a trailblazer cons and pros ????? Any input

Malo

Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
I want to put rims on my 05 trailblazer am looking to buy some used rims before with my impalas it was easy finding good cheap ones with 5 lug universal but with this trailblazer is hard finding rims that are 6x127 ?? Any one out there ever used wheel adapters I heard a lot of bad things about them , has any one out there had a good experience with them. They will only be on the truck for about 7 months any input guys will be truly appreciated .:biggrin::confused::smile:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Lots of the off-road crowd using adapters to go with the 6x5.5 so the standard 6 lugs will work.

NineSevenX

Feb 23, 2014
I had 1.5" adapters on my old TB with no problems after 10k miles. I then had 1.5" spacers since I wanted to keep the 6x127 bolt pattern on my 9-7x and had no problems as well. I would recommend buying the good ones either from MarkMC or BORA. The hubcentric style is the way to go. I know some people have had issues with the lug-centric ones causing vibration because its harder to get the wheels perfectly centered when mounting.

I just ordered 1" spacers from BORA for the rear of my new 9-7x, which will be lowered in a couple weeks. $105 shipped for the pair... Plus I like how BORA's are available in Anodized black.

Good luck, I hope this helps! :biggrin:

Link to BORA's site for GMT's: Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Centric Rings | Motorsport Tech

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
NineSevenX said:
I had 1.5" adapters on my old TB with no problems after 10k miles. I then had 1.5" spacers since I wanted to keep the 6x127 bolt pattern on my 9-7x and had no problems as well. I would recommend buying the good ones either from MarkMC or BORA. The hubcentric style is the way to go. I know some people have had issues with the lug-centric ones causing vibration because its harder to get the wheels perfectly centered when mounting.

I just ordered 1" spacers from BORA for the rear of my new 9-7x, which will be lowered in a couple weeks. $105 shipped for the pair... Plus I like how BORA's are available in Anodized black.

Good luck, I hope this helps! :biggrin:

Link to BORA's site for GMT's: Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Centric Rings | Motorsport Tech

I'm no expert but I recall reading from other posters that a 1.5 inch spacer was the minimum needed for safety reasons, i.e. the smaller spacers such as 1" were too short and therefore more prone to structural failure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pittdawg said:
I'm no expert but I recall reading from other posters that a 1.5 inch spacer was the minimum needed for safety reasons, i.e. the smaller spacers such as 1" were too short and therefore more prone to structural failure.

1.5 is minimum if you do not want to trim your studs. If you dont mind trimming them, then 1 inch is entirely safe and possible. It barely touches the threaded portion of the lugs. Structural failure has never been seen as an issue by anyone on this site that I can recall. I would think a solid 1 inch peice of aluminum is more than adequate. I was going to go that way with 1 inch and 15 inch rims until I got my new wheels and am now considering 2 inch thick ones.

I have ran adaptors from MarkMC through some crazy terrain and for 60,000+ miles with no issue at all. They work and work well. Definitely glad I adapted to the 6x5.5 pattern and openned up my options all those years ago.

Reactions: Capote and Ziggy

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Over 150 offroaders use 1.5" spacers or adapters (you need adapters to change the stud pattern) with almost no issues. You have to keep them properly inspected and torqued.

Thinner items are called shims because they don't offer a second set of studs - they just let the vehicle's studs show through, usually with insufficient thread engagement. THOSE are dangerous.

I'm still amazed that spacers continue to have this bad reputation. Nobody YET here or in a Google search has been able to back up their impression with links. Hundreds of people THINK they're bad, and when they poke deeper, can't locate supporting data.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything from an online and Ebay vendor called EZAccessory or EZ Accessory. Trust me. They suck.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have ran both spacers and adapters with no issues. The adapters I currently have are a set I bought off of Kyle (hardtrailz) and have put about 6k miles on them. I have had a lot of people tell me not to use them, and some who do not think anything of them. I feel they are safe enough to transport me and my family around and beat up the truck when I need to.

It has also been recommended numerous times to not get wheel centric one. Hub centric would center to the OEM hub on the vehicle which is fine and should be standard. Wheel centric would have the centering lip for the wheel, I would not get one as there are many options for wheels and limiting yourself with the outside centering hub could become a PITA. While you could get wheels with the standard GM hub diameter, properly installing your lug nuts works just as well.

Pros
More aggressive appearance
more common bolt pattern with lots of options
wider vehicle track makes the platform more stable
gets rid of the minivan look

cons
more common bolt pattern with lots of options
people will argue and say they are unsafe, when really they are just uneducated on the matter

Reactions: J1M_B34M

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Anyone know off the top of their head, what thickness is required to fit stock full size 1/2ton 17's or 20's under our fenders? is it even do-able?
It's just a thought right now, haven't pulled a rim to measure back-spacing or anything.
I have access to solidworks and a full machine shop to make my own adapters.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
neohio said:
Anyone know off the top of their head, what thickness is required to fit stock full size 1/2ton 17's or 20's under our fenders? is it even do-able?
What's critical about adapters is how thick they have to be so the vehicle's studs don't poke through and hit the back of the new wheel. That answer is 1.25" if you grind some of the studs off. To be safe, all the recommended spacers and adapters are 1.5" which will go on without grinding.

The rim diameter (17-20") is totally irrelevant to the discussion because it's all about the TIRE'S outside diameter, which needs to be under 32" unless you're willing to start cutting fender sheet metal in which case you can go up to 35". You need to use a tire size calculator to obtain the proposed OD of the tire once you choose the width, aspect ratio, and rim diameter - the familiar numbers of XXX/YY-ZZ. All three numbers are important, not just "ZZ".

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i've had MarkMC's 1.5" wheel spacers (6x127 to 6x127) for 30k+ miles now. no issues.
i switch between summer and winter OEM rims. so twice a year i am checking that the nuts that hold the spacer on,
are torqued to spec.
at one time Discount/American Tire would not touch wheels/rims that had spacers/adapters on the vehicle.
last fall when i was in there getting tires for my daughters car, they asked me about mine, i said your policy is not to touch them,
they replied, at one time that was true, now we have learned that they are ok. (not a direct quote, but the short version of the convo)
the Firestone store i go to, do not have problem w/ them.
they will not put them on, but will remove/ reinstall rim and tire with them in place. :twocents:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
fletch09 said:
i've had MarkMC's 1.5" wheel spacers (6x127 to 6x127) for 30k+ miles now. no issues.
i switch between summer and winter OEM rims. so twice a year i am checking that the nuts that hold the spacer on,
are torqued to spec.
at one time Discount/American Tire would not touch wheels/rims that had spacers/adapters on the vehicle.
last fall when i was in there getting tires for my daughters car, they asked me about mine, i said your policy is not to touch them,
they replied, at one time that was true, now we have learned that they are ok. (not a direct quote, but the short version of the convo)
they will not put them on, but will remove/ reinstall rim and tire with them in place. :twocents:
This is nice information to know.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Just heard back from NorCalSS...apparently the Euromax 515's that were gonna be made in the 6x127 pattern are now a no-go (I'm not sure if I missed the thread about that or not, but I just found out. I'd love to have the 515's on my truck. I can't find any pics of how they would look on the truck with the adapters, I'm pretty sure I'd like the more aggressive look, but would really like to have a pic to see it before I drop that kind of cash into the rims and adapters. Anyone here have that setup? Or know someone who does/pics of it?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
Anyone here have that setup? Or know someone who does/pics of it?

May have to go for photoshop on that one buddy. Very few guys have gone to spacers for appearance reasons.

fletch09 said:
are torqued to spec.

After my dealings with Walmart and Mr. Tire, I found it easier to just remove the wheels and have them do the work then reinstall myself. Not saying it will happen but I have seen studs stripped out of the spacers before by an other wise ignorant person.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
Ah well, I'm just gonna go for it :yes:
the price I'm getting the 6x135's for plus the adapters comes out to the same price as the 6x127's that NorCal was gonna make, so it's all gravy.
Ordered the first one tonight (baby steps lol ballin on a budget)

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
Ah well, I'm just gonna go for it :yes:
the price I'm getting the 6x135's for plus the adapters comes out to the same price as the 6x127's that NorCal was gonna make, so it's all gravy.
Ordered the first one tonight (baby steps lol ballin on a budget)

:thumbsup: I plan on getting a custom made set with the 14mm studs in the future. While not necessary, it is just something I have been looking into doing. It really sucks cause I cannot use the GM center caps that my spare wheels have. They will be wrapped in some kind of MT tire when money is more how do you say, abundant.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
:thumbsup: I plan on getting a custom made set with the 14mm studs in the future. While not necessary, it is just something I have been looking into doing. It really sucks cause I cannot use the GM center caps that my spare wheels have. They will be wrapped in some kind of MT tire when money is more how do you say, abundant.

you mean the 515's? or your own design custom rim?
and considering I just dropped $600 a few weeks ago in tires lol I'm BROKE

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
you mean the 515's? or your own design custom rim?
and considering I just dropped $600 a few weeks ago in tires lol I'm BROKE

Spacers, lol. I could not afford custom wheels unless I sold a kidney.

Although the wheel blanks for CNC have come down quite a bit in the last 5 years :undecided:.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
When they convert they are called adapters. A spacer does not change the bolt pattern. 1.5" spacer is the most common, MarkMC has made his spacers and adapters specifically for the GMT 360 platform.Most people that have used the spacers have fit 32" tires on the TBs.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think Mak can do other thicknesses as well if you hit him up.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I had 1.25" spacers on the back of my (S10) Blazer to even out the front and back wheels. I only put a few thousand miles on them but I had no issues and it looked a lot better. I didn't have to trim any studs, I think my wheels has hollow spots where the little bit of protruding studs could go in to and not impact the mounting surface of the wheel. Mine were a straight spacer, I wasn't changing the bolt pattern at all. 5X4.75"

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yes, that is the common size that we can get.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I have a set of 265-65-17's and they only require a lift kit. No wheel spacers needed. I only have about 1/2" clearance from the UBJ though, but I'm okay with that.

I talked with Blckshdw and he actually recommended that tire size. I'm happy with them!

*Yes, the back was sitting lower than the front in the following photo, but that was fixed as of yesterday from a recent order I placed with liftmeister. 20160213_134415.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought the kit was needed due to the increase height in the tire?
Do you still end up with the same clearance near the UBJ, with or without a lift kit?
Nope.
Lift has no effect on ball joint clearance.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Due to the height. MT or any. 265-70-17 is a 32 inch tire and will need spaced

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I am looking at adapters to go from 6x5 to 6x5.5 rims for my winter tires, but want to maintain the same OEM overall diameter and clearances. What 6x5.5 rim offset spacing should I be looking for? Would factory Tahoe rims or the equivalent spacing of the factory Tahoe rim fit without problems? I am looking at 1.5" adapters.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Yes, those are the ones I was looking at. But obviously, they change the required wheel offset. I am trying to narrow down my choices in wheels on the 6x5.5 pattern but I have never read anywhere exactly what offset I should be looking at to maintain the factory dimensions and clearances. I don't want to change anything except the rim lug pattern. Basically, how can one go from factory offset in 6x5, to factory offset in Tahoe wheels in 6x5.5 after adding 1.5" adapters and still maintain the same clearances?

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Our rims have a 6" backspace so you would want to find a rim with about a 7.5" backspace.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
So, basically this is impossible. If I add a 1.5" adapter, I would need an offset of around 60mm with a 17-inch wheel with an 8-inch width. Tahoe wheels typically run around 25mm to 30mm offset. If I go with one of those, I not only run my wheels and tires at least 1.5" further out from the fender (which is not legal here without fender flares, but I also vastly increase the strain on my wheel bearings. Rats.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.