Hardtrailz Build Thread 2006 Trailblazer

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
tsmith1156 said:
Thank you! And how long would you say it takes to install? My friend has a car lift so I wouldn't think more than 5 hours.

I did it in about 7 or 8 hours alone in a basic garage with hand tools. Lift really does not help alot when doing a body lift honestly.

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
Wasn't I the one that put the first cuts into your sheet metal? Same with AJs lol

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Scooter Scott said:
Wasn't I the one that put the first cuts into your sheet metal? Same with AJs lol

No. I did it when I got the pro comps and then again once back in IN to clean it up. Jim did it with an air saw.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
I did it in about 7 or 8 hours alone in a basic garage with hand tools. Lift really does not help alot when doing a body lift honestly.

Alright, now you all are making me wonder if I want a suspension or body lift or both, I have seen a lot of trailblazers on here with both lifts but hardly any with just one or the other, my main goal in all honesty is for looks but I will be wheeling it as well.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
tsmith1156 said:
Alright, now you all are making me wonder if I want a suspension or body lift or both, I have seen a lot of trailblazers on here with both lifts but hardly any with just one or the other, my main goal in all honesty is for looks but I will be wheeling it as well.

I do not think there is any with just a body lift. There are plenty around with just suspension. In fact i think it is far more common than both. Most do suspension cause it is cheaper.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
I do not think there is any with just a body lift. There are plenty around with just suspension. In fact i think it is far more common than both. Most do suspension cause it is cheaper.

Are there any main positives that stand out besides the money factor for doing just suspension or suspension and body lift?

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
tsmith1156 said:
Are there any main positives that stand out besides the money factor for doing just suspension or suspension and body lift?

Good question

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
tsmith1156 said:

If and when I lift the TB it is getting a suspension lift. For ground clearance. I've always thought body lifts were to give your tires more room on the trail (with a suspension lift) and for looks without sacrificing center of gravity height.

Plus I think a suspension lift looks better than just a body only lift.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Suspension does help your ground clearance and typically it is the best way to go. However with our suspension design and limitations...when you lift via suspension you lose down travel and at the point about where I am...that down travel becomes very small. I did the suspension first. Loved it and it got me hooked to keep going...well that and the fact that people kept saying things could not happen. I have had rigs with suspension only, body only, and both. A blend seems to be the best overall to me.

It is all trade-offs. Improving this decreases that and moving this is pressure there and so forth. There is plenty of info around if you want different points of view. Mine is pretty simple and on the side windows of my truck.... "Lift It Fat Chicks Can't Jump"

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
Suspension does help your ground clearance and typically it is the best way to go. However with our suspension design and limitations...when you lift via suspension you lose down travel and at the point about where I am...that down travel becomes very small. I did the suspension first. Loved it and it got me hooked to keep going...well that and the fact that people kept saying things could not happen. I have had rigs with suspension only, body only, and both. A blend seems to be the best overall to me.

It is all trade-offs. Improving this decreases that and moving this is pressure there and so forth. There is plenty of info around if you want different points of view. Mine is pretty simple and on the side windows of my truck.... "Lift It Fat Chicks Can't Jump"

I think I am just going to start with a 3" suspension lift wheel spacers/adapters and 33s, thank you for all the help and sorry for all the questions!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Ask away. I been there done that...a lot more than some guys and don't mind helping so others don't have to work as hard or spend as much as I did over the years. Don't get me wrong, it has been fun or I would not be here today. This community has helped me so much, answering questions is the least I can do.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Thank you! next step after all of this will be one of those Bartonmd bumpers, but I saw he is pretty backed up right now.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Couple pics from tonight

ubu9y2eb.jpg

sysegu2u.jpg

ypyvy3um.jpg

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Looks great Kyle!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Reactions: CaptainKD

Jake Blazer

Mar 29, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Now it needed armor...
Steel Oil Pan skid, Radiator skid and cut and remounted the rear brushguard

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Folding Tire Carrier- Since sold and working with Barton for a new welded on one
16.jpg

And the front bumper had lots of fun for awhile. Tried a tube one, made first plate one, then another and another and another...

Homemade tube stinger thing I bought off a Silverado and adapted so I did not have plastic to break
17.jpg

18.jpg

The original "let try this" bumper Barton built for me after I asked about c channel to make one. Now on Regulator's truck
19.jpg

20.jpg

The 3 inch body lift bumper with wings and shackle mounts. Now on HighVoltage's truck
21.jpg

22.jpg

My replacement for the one that went to Voltage. Wings, Shackle mounts, Reciever...
23.jpg

Current--Added Light Hoop/Deer Catcher
24.jpg

25.jpg

12,500 LB winch on Beautiful custom mount by MDB Fab
26.jpg

Along the lines it has also gotten upgraded with
Mark's new three inch spacer lift
2 inch longer Japanese rear coils
Stronger 88 front coils
Adjustable panhard bar from suicidedoors.com
Removed rear swaybar completely
Custom front swaybar links
Extended rear tubular control arms
Drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads
Pcmforless tune
Custom hooker catback exhaust
Cobra 75WX cb w 48 inch Firestik
Led lighting in fenderwells
Led interior
LED Reverse Lights
LED License Plate lights
VVME 35watt 6000K HID headlights
Custom vinyl hood stripe, pillars, and other decals thanks to HighVoltage
GM leather seat covers
Fire ext
Lots of Straps and Tools
Yakima Load Warrior with Extention
Hi-Lift Jack
Shovel
Ax

just awesome!

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
You have quite the truck there :2thumbsup:

Ever had it on a scale and weighed? Thought I read "steel" a few times.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Never on a scale, but I could likely figure it out. I think the bumpers and skids are about 400 lbs and another 200 lbs of wheel n tire over stock. SS rearend is bit heavier, but not tremendously. Prolly scraped and cut a lb or two of metal off it. Removed a few more lbs of plastic crap as well.

Prolly 600ish lbs over stock.

Edit--prolly another 100 with winch and plate mount on there.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
On the bumpstop. Might need to adjust them. Using Stock upper and a bolt on Daystar lower.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
CO??? Colorado?

I would not know. That was a cheap Hunter off eBay.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Started some new sway bar links. Not gonna real quick discos for now but just a simple bolt on n off setup.

Parts
uploadfromtaptalk1403063619906.jpg

One done if I had shorter bolts
uploadfromtaptalk1403063651631.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
120 watt 21 inch combo led bar for bumper
180 watt 32inch combo led bar for roof

Back to the ole Yakima Load Warrior since it appears to add good protection for the roof bar.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:salivate:

Pics of the LEDs lit up? :deal:

Maybe a vid of some offroad action? :blush:

Reactions: dmanns67

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I was asleep before dark so I have not seen what they do. The bumper is functional but the roof is mocked up til I can make a bracket for permanent mounting...may pull off roof rack and do it w s lul extra protection for the top of led bar.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Hmmmm...be tough to open hood but looks functional :wink:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Cut through the fender? :lipsrsealed:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Appreciated

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
New rear shock. Rough Country I went with 20051. The one mount is wrong but I had extra metal bushings and swapped it out. I am sure you can talk to rough country and get metal bushings that will work or they likely have another product number with out the bolt-on mount and with the typical sleeve we need. \

Pics of shock

Pics of them mounted:

and with the new decals from HighVoltage...Latin for "what is said is done".

Some new vinyl from Mr. Voltage...Thanks brother!

Truth and Justice in Latin, ala Boondock Saints

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Then a couple fun pics of late

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher