Hardtrailz Build Thread 2006 Trailblazer

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Headlight update. THEY ARE NOT HID PROJECTORS. The HID leave a shadow and hot spot and generally suck as seen below. I tried a few things, but finally came to the fact that they are not friendly w HID setups.

So I am moving the HID to the high beam spot and ordered up some Osram NightBreaker halogens to see how the headlights work with the intended bulbs.

Mirage

Feb 23, 2014
that dark spot looks like only drivers side- maybe a defect in the reflector? While I don't have projectors on my TB I had 2 different sets on my cobalt SS and never had any issues.

swede

Jun 22, 2014
:sadcry::sadcry: wrong headlight pattern :sadcry::sadcry:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I got the Nightbreakers in. They do work well, but I found the same spot and was more than frustrated. Finally got the root of it all figured out though. The drivers bulb hold down is a thin piece of metal. It hits each side of bulb to hold it tight. Thing is it was putting a ton of pressure on top, but minimal at bottom and while the bulb was not loose...it was cocked slightly. I did a bit of bending and the bulb sitting level eliminated the shadow. I plan to change back to the HID...maybe tonight and see if it is better with them as well. Sucks i did not see it before, but glad it is not a reflector issue like my intial fear with the halogen also keeping shadows.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Well well well...tried the HID and made sure they were fully seated. Nope. Still have shadow dots right in the field of vision. Swap to halogen and no shadow. They do have nice output with the halogen.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Slapped on some new Bilstein 5125 rear shocks and am liking them so far.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Replaced this rusty crap

With this stuff

I will get a pic of it installed since I forgot, but the difference is amazing. As the exhaust was rotting I did not realize how loud it had become with basically a straight pip setup over the past year or so. With the simple Magnaflow and turndown it sounds nice and clean with much less inside noise. Almost silent to my ears. We cut the old mounting bolts and pulled the rust out. Used a new flange gasket and bolted up new stuff, but to fit right with the dump we shorted it a couple inches and welded it right to the muffler exit. The mount on the magnaflow was for an ext, so I had to chop the part that slid in the rubber hanger off and weld it right to where the dump was attached. Fit right is and is nice and solid. It now dumps a few inches before the rear axle.

Updated Pics of under:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Sorry i missed your question. The sensors are on a crash bar behind the metal bumper support. A round tube that spans the frame has them attached and that is not touched by the bumper. I doubt I would survive what it would take to actually impact thru my bumper enough to set them off now, but such is life.

I swapped to a set of falken MT01 tires on some American Outlaw wheels. I am digging the machined and gun metal of the wheels

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, the impact sensors are by gravity or deceleration so you could hit something hard enough to deploy the bags but your bumper might just have a slight dent.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Some new work on the rig. Picked up some new wheels n tires. 35s on 17s again, but Falken MT and American Outlaw wheels this time. Stripped off the roof rack and rear bumper swings for a re-do of configuration and powdercoating. Also played with one of the front grills and made it white for awhile. Need to pull off white strip on windshield and go back to regular tint ASAP as well. Also put in some LED headlight bulbs...not impressed. Think I will do a better projector and go back to HID bulbs again. Also added new door speakers since it was down to one working occasionally. Also got a new single sub to take up less room in the rear. Did get a double din head unit but it is not installed yet. Also picked up a couple new jerry cans to build the rear swing around cause i want a shelf/dual can holder that I can use more often. Slapped in some new hubs and tie rod, but need to regrease the splined disco and do the CVs when I get a bit more time. Been awhile, so its about time for basic maintenance.

Before the strip

Tires and wheels the wife actually picked out

On the truck. Ride nice and seem like they do pretty good.

Stripped down for the re-do

The grill for something different, but its already about to change the more I look at it. Easy silly fun when you got 3 spares.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Was not real keen on the totally white grill, so I added back an insert I had after painting it black. Seems to work pretty good, but the airbrushed bowtie needs to be swapped for something a lil more definitive I think. I also left the mesh white as it seems to give it a 3-D effect in person, but may black that out behind insert once I get the brow swapped to tint and a different bowtie on.

All white

With the black insert

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Resaved all the pics to try and fix this in the near future, but uploaded a current pic from the weekend when I put the basket back up top. Need to get rear bumper put back together and a few other things done asap.

IMG_5229.JPG

Reactions: dna59 and Mooseman

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
fantastic, can you please tell me where to get a body lift kit now that markmc is no longer selling them ?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Zone has a two inch available.
You can piece together a 3 except for rear bumper brackets.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I suspect that 2in will be fine and get me clear for my 34in 285/75/17

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Who makes a 285-75-17?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Nice. I had not seen that size before. I had seen 295-70-17 as an in-between 33 n 35 size, but not those.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
I think it is a fantastic choice where I am, gives me great snow performance and the clearance I like when curbs and potholes are hidden by snow, ice and water. Now I just have to install my 2in body lift. I already have the 1.5in wheel spacers and the 3in suspension level kit. Hope I dont need to add hockey pucks to make it a 3in lift.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Kyle what did you end up doing with those projector headlight assemblies after you took them out? Did you get your money back, or toss them on a shelf somewhere? I can't believe it's been over 3 years since then already...

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I bought used so no way to get money back. I stuck them on shelf like all my other take-offs. One day I am sure I will play with them again.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I remember when one of the members here bought the projector assemblies that came out prior to that model, they had crappy output too. He used them for a retrofit, which ended up being much easier than normal, since he was able to bolt the new projectors in where the old ones mounted. Could be an option for you, if I can plant the retrofit seed again. :whisptersecret:

• Haha
Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
So I got backed into the other day and the bumper got a bit tweaked and they knocked the headlight loose. I found the header panel behind headlight cracked, but ziptied it up and it is nice and tight again. Had exhaust leak I patched up. Finally put the swings back on rear bumper and a jerry can and spare went back on. Gave it a 5 min bath after swapping the flat hood back on so I can play with the cowl hood. Reading through this I think I will grab some LED for the projector lights and try them. I tried led in stock and blinded everyone for a day then pulled them out. Hoping the led output and shitty projector at least equal the halogen in stock setup cause looking at the projectors they do look better. Oh well...pictures cause that is what people like.

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed (4).jpgunnamed (5).jpgunnamed.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online