Harbor Freight Horrible Homebrew tool idea?

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
My fathers TB is due for a new registrarion sticker, and our mechanic says the its time for a new tie rod on the drivers side, a few years ago I was given a HF pickle fork, the kind you hammer manually, the fork fits in my 3/4 impact socket which I use on my ryobi 18 volt impact wrench other than the socket grenading, which can be remedied with a piece of pipe slid over the business end of the socket and wrench to capture any sort of explosion, does any one see another reason not to try this setup?

Sorry for the run on and crappy spelling, my phone doesn't like forums....

Marc.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Have you tried using the pickle fork the proper way yet and it failed? Apply PB Blaster the day before?

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Sorry about the unclear message, I was on my phone...

I don't have access to air tools yet. I have the manual pickle fork, and a cordless impact wrench, and an impact size sized to fit the pickle for. Does anyone for see any issues with me using the manual pickle fork with my impact wrench? Basically the same idea as an air operated unit, just using the electric impact and not an air impact. I realize that the socket could grenade, as well as the pickle fork for that matter, but if i sleeve them both with a piece of pipe I will be protected as I try to pop the old tie rod off. If it doesn"t work i can hit it manually or have my mechanic break the seal. Just wondering if the impact will work.

Marc.

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
I did try a few taps and the tie rod didn't budge, yes PB Blasted the day before as well, I am just trying to save a few bucks by doing the job myself. Tbhis and the OS have saved me literally thousands of $$$$ in repairs, and I thank you.

Marc

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I don't think it will work.

An impact drill/wrench imparts a pounding jab in a clockwise, or counterclockwise direction.

You need a chisel that imparts the jab in a forward direction.

Manual fork = manual hammer.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Very unclear on what you are trying to do. From what I can understand you are trying to separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle correct?

If you are, what it seems like your homebrew idea would be a disaster and very unsafe.

As said before spray it the night before, then when ur ready to separate give it a "love tap" with a BFH, I use a 3LB. If that doesnt work hit the top of the threads of the outer tie rod and it will pop right out.

Love tap 1st, works great, if not then smack the top hard.

Heres a pic to help illustrate:

Tie-Rod-8.jpg

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
Taz6056 said:
Does anyone for see any issues with me using the manual pickle fork with my impact wrench? Basically the same idea as an air operated unit, just using the electric impact and not an air impact.

If you're thinking of emulating this kind of tool,

View attachment 18565

it's designed for an impact hammer, not a wrench.

Edit: One handle is for the BFG the other for the impact hammer

Attachments

• 445344353338303337_0.jpg
    445344353338303337_0.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 160

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
dont know why guys are trying to be fancy or spend money on tools when its not necessary. People also use pitman arm pullers for this job. I never used anything but a BFH and has worked every single time. Thats my 2 cents.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just bashed the end of my old tie rod end with a large hammer. Who cares if the threads get messed up a little bit, you're replacing the thing anyway :biggrin:

Taz6056

Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Well as always, you guys are right, I didnt even need the pickle, much less the impact...the BFH worked like a charm, thanks again guys.

Marc.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Taz6056 said:
Well as always, you guys are right, I didnt even need the pickle, much less the impact...the BFH worked like a charm, thanks again guys.

Marc.

If the BFH doesn't work you just need a bigger hammer. :biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
smitty5150 said:
I agree. If it won't come out, you aren't using a big enough hammer.

djthumper said:
If the BFH doesn't work you just need a bigger hammer. :biggrin:

I think you need a bigger hammer:raspberry:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
If at first you don't succeed, you need a bigger hammer :rotfl:

racsan

Feb 5, 2012
i did both outer tie rod ends on a '04 tb with no air tools, loosened the nut, sprayed with pb blaster penetrant, then smacked the loosened nut with a big hammer and they both popped free easily. i did have my pickle fork with me but didnt need it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think you need a bigger hammer:raspberry:

RayVoy said:
If at first you don't succeed, you need a bigger hammer :rotfl:

When the only tool you own is a BFH, every problem looks like a BF Nail. :yes:

Sparky said:
I just bashed the end of my old tie rod end with a large hammer. Who cares if the threads get messed up a little bit, you're replacing the thing anyway :biggrin:
I use the nut to protect the threads because I save my old worn units for trail spares. Even a loose TRE is better than a broken one. YMMV. If you have any offroaders in your vicinity you would be a popular person at meets if you had old tie rod ends to trade for beer.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
+1 on solving problems with a hammer.

If you hadn't replaced your tie rod in time, and it broke on you, here's how you could have used that pickle fork of yours, along with a Hi-Lift handle... :biggrin:

[video=youtube;ZoSqwf_q090]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoSqwf_q090&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Pickle fork + Hi-Lift handle + extra jack handle = manual steering for broken ass TrailBlazer.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Note to self - if I ever do any serious offroading, carry a spare tie rod end.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:
Note to self - if I ever do any serious offroading, carry a spare tie rod end.

Carry two. That was my second break that day. Carry inners too.

racsan

Feb 5, 2012
it kinda seems like g.m. uses way too light tie rod ends for the chassis. S-blazers are good at eating ball joints also, even with regular greasing. almost seems like its done on porpose-so they can sell more replacement parts.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
racsan said:
it kinda seems like g.m. uses way too light tie rod ends for the chassis. S-blazers are good at eating ball joints also, even with regular greasing. almost seems like its done on porpose-so they can sell more replacement parts.

For 360s... it's break a tie rod (relatively cheap) or break the rack (not cheap). In a way I'm glad they did.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.