Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep. Just on our way back from visiting our boys in North Bay. Turkey and all the fixins last night. Yummy!

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks!! One big family meal down, one to go! Safe weekend all.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I had forgotten that Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October. Apparently, turkey is de rigueur over there, too. What else is on the table that we Yanks might not be familiar with? (I'll fall over if poutine is one of the dishes...lol)

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
If poutine was a big thing thing up north for Thanksgiving, it would need to have a unique twist. Perhaps maple flavored or pumpkin spiced. :wink:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing out of the ordinary. Turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, stuffing, deserts (pumpkin pie and home made tiramisu.) For drinks, I picked us a Jim Beam Honey and my son got a Liquormen Ol' Dirty Canadian Whiskey.

Reactions: smt 59

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Nothing out of the ordinary. Turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, stuffing, deserts (pumpkin pie and home made tiramisu.) For drinks, I picked us a Jim Beam Honey and my son got a Liquormen Ol' Dirty Canadian Whiskey.

Yep - sounds like (many) US tables. Damn it, sir...is there no US custom you Canadians won't assimilate unto yourselves? Lmao

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How do you know it`s not a Canadian custom assimilated by the US, which is why your TG is in Nov, the time for you to copy it. :biggrin:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
"Sir Martin Frobisher and his crew are credited as the first Europeans to celebrate a Thanksgiving ceremony in North America, in 1578 [Frobisher Bay area of Baffin Island in the present Canadian Territory of Nunavut]. They were followed by the inhabitants of New France under Samuel de Champlain in 1606. "

So, just like Baseball, it's another thing the US has appropriated from Canada.
:biggrin: :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And basketball :biggrin:

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
"Sir Martin Frobisher and his crew are credited as the first Europeans to celebrate a Thanksgiving ceremony in North America, in 1578 [Frobisher Bay area of Baffin Island in the present Canadian Territory of Nunavut]. They were followed by the inhabitants of New France under Samuel de Champlain in 1606. "

So, just like Baseball, it's another thing the US has appropriated from Canada.
:biggrin::biggrin:

The Frobisher narrative is considered far from universally accepted. I *will* give you that we *both* 'inherited' Thanksgiving, if you will, from Britain, since we have common ancestry there (it started off as 'holiday consolidation', b/c the Catholic church at the time seemingly had an obligatory feast every other day, including 52 Sundays. When England's Reformation began under Henry VIII, 90-some-odd days got cut down to 27, plus the occasional 'ad hoc' feast day here and there). All the feasts got in the way of necessary work, plus they cost money - so people were glad to have them cut back, for the most part

There's more evidence to suggest that it came to Canada via the French ('Action de Grace'; apologies for the missing diacritical)

Back to Thxgiving... it didn't 'take off' in Canada until the Loyalists (US: Tories) gradually brought it over from the US as they arrived (voluntarily or via expulsion; take your pick) :wink: That's when the turkey hit your tables, as well.

Now, about baseball... I don't care *what* the facts say... that's 'our' game. Abner said so...lol.
If I must, I'll give you basketball, since it's considered a 'minor' sport here - even so, it's a few rungs in popularity above <wait for it>... ice hockey. :laugh:

'All in good fun', said the man who has an Original Six team in his town (wearing the best damned sweater in *all* of hockey) :tongue:

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Hey, don't poke the bear. Remember what happened to your White House last time.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:2thumbsup:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Would you like to stop by and light it up again? I'll bring s'mores :poke: (sorry; no 'campfire' emoji)

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Haha!! Good one.
If things keep going the way have been with the current potus I think the American people might just do it themselves. lololol

All kidding aside, I have a lot of friends who are American and I am really glad we have such a great country to our south. Cheers!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online