Handbrake release without a handle? Please help?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hey Guys,
My rear dust shields (backing plates) are rusted away. The drivers side is scraping on the rotor. I am about to break off the pieces that are rubbing the rotor, but I noticed the rear wheel, rotor etc are very hot. I just came back from a 5 minute drive to the parts store. It should not be that hot.
So many months ago I had pulled up on the handbrake lever and the cable just before it splits into two under the car. (I realize its not two cables, I'm just trying to keep this short)
My question is, is it possible the e-brake is engaged and is there a way to release it without the use of the lever/button?

This might explain why I feel like the vehicle is down on power. And yes, I feel like a total IDIOT so please, there's no need to point that out because it's a fact. I'm embarrassed just posting this question.

Thank You in advance!

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Provided there isn't some electrical fault, the e-brake handle being in any position but completely disengaged should cause a dash light to come on. Whether the cable is sticking in a guide or assembly is a different story and will take some deeper investigation under the car.

If your rotors are excessively hot, I'd suspect the pads/calipers are dragging before I'd think it was the emergency brake shoes.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You'll appreciate seeing these related, On Topic images...

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online