Handbrake Issue

berto1014

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Hey,

So I have been having this issue with my handbrake. I already did a forum search and such, but haven't quite found anything about this issue.

So on multiple occasions I use the parking brake on steep grades. What happens is I pull it and it will just fly back with no resistance and not engage the brakes at all, if I release the break and pull it again it seems to "catch" and will have tension this time and actually apply the brakes.

Why or how can this happen? How can it not activate at all? Also the brake is pretty ineffective, how can I tighten the brake up? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

The ebrakes are drum style hidden inside a "top hat" of the rear rotors. There is an adjustment for the cable, and a more extensive adjustment procedure for the shoes. Are you a brake-experienced DIY'er? Intermittent failure to engage at all usually means the cable or the lever that the cable pulls on inside the brake assy needs lubrication. Need somebody observing the rear hardware while somebody else pulls on the lever a few times. Make sure to never get lube on the brake pads, shoes, drum, or rotor. I don't think there are many reports EVER on the old site (we nicknamed OS) of ebrake cables needing lube.

Adjusting the cable that way is only effective in case of a small amount of cable stretch, and the pads have to be adjusted properly first.

It just takes a few tries to get it right.

I took the ebrake cable off the bracket where it gets its tension from:

axle72.jpg

Then take the end off the ebrake activation lever:

axle71.jpg

This allows the lever to move freely without any binding on the cable.

Then you have to manually adjust the star wheel on the pad.

axle70.jpg

Just like old fashioned drum brakes, but there's NO WAY to get at the star wheel from outside. You have to take the rotor off to try to adjust it. Crank on it until you have very little slop in the outside activation lever. Crank on the star wheel, put on the rotor, check the lever. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Do this separately on each side. Then reinstall the ebrake cables and it should be fine.

Here's the lever: (I think this process is described poorly in the Owner's Manual.)

ebrakelever2.jpg

berto1014

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks for the write up!

I guess to better describe the issue, after extended intervals of not using the handbrake, the first time I use it again, it will pull with no resistance as if not even connected to the brake. After I "release" the hand brake and pull it again it will have tension and actually engage the brake. I'm not quite sure how lubrication would cause symptoms such as these.

Let me know if these symptoms still lead to a lubrication problem with the brake.

Thanks again!

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
I had this problem just the other day. When I would pull the lever it would go all the way to the end every time. After further investigation, the boot covering the mechanism was holding up the lever used to take the slack in the cable (the one that Roadie points out in the last pic). After I pulled the boot all the way up the lever it worked as usual so I made sure afterwards that it didn't interfere with the lever.

berto1014

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Thanks I will definitely take a look this week. One last question, how did you remove the faux-leather covered on the mechanism?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mine was just tucked under the rug.

Just pull it up, like un-tucking a shirt.

Kind of a PITA, to get it back under the rug.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Mine was just tucked under the rug.

Just pull it up, like un-tucking a shirt.

Kind of a PITA, to get it back under the rug.

Exactly, I didn't remove it per se just pulled it up out of the way so I could see what was going on with the brake.

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
symptoms:
emergency brakes were 100% useless.
when using regular brakes would pull ro the left(towards the driver side.)

When I undid the caliper on the passenger side, it did not moved, so that worried me, (since the truck was pulling to the left when I hit the brakes) I hit the brake three times before it actually moved about 1/4 of an inch, I hit the brakes again and pop out another inch, inch and half, to put back took several attempts and that was with the bleeder open and a c-clamp. after a test drive ebrakes are working perfectly and the pulling seem to have stopped and the braking increase tremendously.

on the ebrakes,
took a couple tries of turning, put the disk in place, turn some more, the hand brake handle did not tighten until I adjusted the left one which I did last.

now to the actual question:

Do that means the right caliper was some what locked up?

Reactions: tr23

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
That would be my thought. You may have loosened it but from what you say it sounds like it was stuck. Have you ever greased the sliders for the calipers ? Since you managed to free the brake slider I would look at getting them cleaned and greased with the proper brake lube.

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
the sliders were fine, they slide nice and easy, but the piston in side the caliper was the area of major concern..

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If it was stuck I'd be tempted to rebuild or replace the caliper.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
If it was the caliper I would think about rebuilding it or replacing it because there is an issue there that might act up when you really need the brakes

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online