HAM radi/Scanner guys...I need help

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I have a Trident TR 1200 scanner, it's been discontinued for like ever now lol It was given to me from my dad but he had no manual to it. I'm trying to figure out how to work this thing as I would LOVE to get rid of the android scanner app and use my real scanner. So would ANYONE have any idea where I can download a free manual to this thing? Or if anyone has worked with one, how do I program frequencies to it?

I have had it for over a year, and never did much with it because I don't have the patience without a manual, but it's about time I put it to use.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks guys!!!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
When I posted this Roadie I was using my phone, as we have had an internet outage in our area, and my search on my phone just brought up a bunch of Chinese stuff that I couldn't understand lol so there :raspberry:
Your phone must be full of that Steve Jobs kool-aid then. Double raspberry on you. :raspberry: :raspberry: :rotfl: My phone can turn into a 4G hotspot with FASTER connectivity than my cable connection at home, and I'm considering dropping the cable. Smart phones can search. Ask for one for your wedding present.

I mean from Mat, not from GMTN. :wink:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Your phone must be full of that Steve Jobs kool-aid then. Double raspberry on you. :raspberry: :raspberry: :rotfl: My phone can turn into a 4G hotspot with FASTER connectivity than my cable connection at home, and I'm considering dropping the cable. Smart phones can search. Ask for one for your wedding present.

I mean from Mat, not from GMTN. :wink:

I actually have a "smart" phone....but apparently it's smart has ran all out *Stupid Android* :rotfl:

Edit: Triple Raspberry on you :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :biggrin:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Okay, so I have figured out how to get the scanner to scan between local PD channels. Every once in a while I hear the call center with a report or call in, but I can't get anything but static off of the PD car frequency. Could I be out of range? It constantly scans through the 5 different channels until it picks up activity. I'm getting frustrated again lol

Edit: On my android scanner I can hear both the call center and the car/cops replying to the call....but can't pick this up on the actual scanner.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
Often times car frequencies are simplex, meaning not repeated, and therefore you must be in range of the unit that is transmitting. In other words you need a really big antenna or you need to be pretty close to the unit transmitting.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
SAR85 said:
Often times car frequencies are simplex, meaning not repeated, and therefore you must be in range of the unit that is transmitting. In other words you need a really big antenna or you need to be pretty close to the unit transmitting.
And who are you trying to kid? I am sure she understands how it work... If the car isn't going through a repeater to talk to dispatch then dispatch isn't on a repeater as well. She also does not need a big antenna but maybe just an external antenna since the rubber duck is probably the most deaf antenna on the market.

An app is just taking a feed that is able to receive all parties and rebroadcasting it over the internet.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
djthumper said:
An app is just taking a feed
through a repeater

djthumper said:
that is able to receive all parties and rebroadcasting it over the internet.
:raspberry::raspberry::raspberry: (3 seems to be the norm on this thread)

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
RayVoy said:
through a repeater

:raspberry::raspberry::raspberry: (3 seems to be the norm on this thread)
:raspberry::biggrin::raspberry:Ya know Ray I guess you are right to put it in plain english for him since rebroadcast didn't say it directly. LOL :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:
And who are you trying to kid? I am sure she understands how it work... If the car isn't going through a repeater to talk to dispatch then dispatch isn't on a repeater as well. She also does not need a big antenna but maybe just an external antenna since the rubber duck is probably the most deaf antenna on the market.

An app is just taking a feed that is able to receive all parties and rebroadcasting it over the internet.

Thank you Larry!!! SAR85 I do indeed know what simplex is and how it works. I would be handing over my HAM license if I didn't. My mere confusion was the app scanners vs a "real" scanner. I didn't realize an online scanner or app was just rebroadcasted. I'm actually finding this old scanner to be much more difficult than my Icom, which is also ancient :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

djthumper said:
:raspberry::biggrin::raspberry:Ya know Ray I guess you are right to put it in plain english for him since rebroadcast didn't say it directly. LOL :raspberry::raspberry::raspberry:

And this is exactly why I love GMTNation lol :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: And yes 3 raspberries seems to be the norm for this thread, and since I am far from normal, I used 4 :biggrin:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Voymom said:
Thank you Larry!!! SAR85 I do indeed know what simplex is and how it works. I would be handing over my HAM license if I didn't. My mere confusion was the app scanners vs a "real" scanner. I didn't realize an online scanner or app was just rebroadcasted. I'm actually finding this old scanner to be much more difficult than my Icom, which is also ancient :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:
Heh, I know a lot of Extra's that should be handing over their licenses then. :lipsrsealed:

I could have had my 13 y/o son explain since he asked almost the exact same thing a couple of months ago when playing with my scanner and an app. Oh and he just got his Technician License last month after I taught a 3-day course to part of my SaR team. :biggrin: I am so proud of him!

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
Voymom said:

And this is exactly why I love GMTNation lol :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry: And yes 3 raspberries seems to be the norm for this thread, and since I am far from normal, I used 4 :biggrin:

Haha, sorry for over-explaining, I forgot I had read you have your HAM license. I guess my point was that if he source of the scanner feed is centrally located with a good antenna, that scanner may pick up more of the car traffic (and therefore broadcast it over the internet) than you are able to receive with a handheld.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
SAR85 said:
Haha, sorry for over-explaining, I forgot I had read you have your HAM license. I guess my point was that if he source of the scanner feed is centrally located with a good antenna, that scanner may pick up more of the car traffic (and therefore broadcast it over the internet) than you are able to receive with a handheld.

No need to apologize :biggrin: I have an issue with over explaining stuff as well. I have NEVER used a scanner before, so I was kind of intimidated. In all honesty I don't even get to use the mobile radio in my truck as often as I would like either, in Michigan there are huge groups of people who have their licenses, and almost every channel has some type of activity, but here, that's not really the case. The only time there is activity on the local frequency is during storm season for the spotters, and we only have contests about once a year. I get to talk to my dad every once in a while on echolink but that's about it. It's actually quite sad lol I love using my radio. And the lack of activity has really made me wonder if I should test up for my general or extra, and I have put off buying a handheld or upgraded mobile unit.

^^ See I over explain too :rotfl:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Voymom said:
No need to apologize :biggrin: I have an issue with over explaining stuff as well. I have NEVER used a scanner before, so I was kind of intimidated. In all honesty I don't even get to use the mobile radio in my truck as often as I would like either, in Michigan there are huge groups of people who have their licenses, and almost every channel has some type of activity, but here, that's not really the case. The only time there is activity on the local frequency is during storm season for the spotters, and we only have contests about once a year. I get to talk to my dad every once in a while on echolink but that's about it. It's actually quite sad lol I love using my radio. And the lack of activity has really made me wonder if I should test up for my general or extra, and I have put off buying a handheld or upgraded mobile unit.

^^ See I over explain too :rotfl:
Is the local frequency a repeater? You need to get that frequency active! I tried for my General yesterday and need to study more. But the bands seem pretty active on HF.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:
Is the local frequency a repeater? You need to get that frequency active! I tried for my General yesterday and need to study more. But the bands seem pretty active on HF.

Yes it's a repeater, and I have tried to get it active, just people are not all the excited or willing around here. It's just used now for the Skywarn channel instead of an active channel for everyday BS.

I need to study for my general...I have a shit ton of stuff I will be doing next year, testing for my general, Concealed permit hopefully in November/December, been studying the legislation and laws for that. I want to get it all done after the wedding, the wedding planning pretty much consumes my life right now, especially with 13 days to go lol. I also have a crap ton to do with the truck, plus Mat's buying a TB....going to be a very busy year next year that's for sure lol

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Voymom said:
Yes it's a repeater, and I have tried to get it active, just people are not all the excited or willing around here. It's just used now for the Skywarn channel instead of an active channel for everyday BS.

I need to study for my general...I have a shit ton of stuff I will be doing next year, testing for my general, Concealed permit hopefully in November/December, been studying the legislation and laws for that. I want to get it all done after the wedding, the wedding planning pretty much consumes my life right now, especially with 13 days to go lol. I also have a crap ton to do with the truck, plus Mat's buying a TB....going to be a very busy year next year that's for sure lol
LOL have Matt get his license and talk to him on it. :wink:

Yeah I have a ton of stuff I want to do as well including the CCW. I have a bunch of stuff I want to do to my TB before the end of the month since my Sar team was asked to be in a safety show and they want to showcase my truck since it is our mobile command post.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
djthumper said:
LOL have Matt get his license and talk to him on it. :wink:

Yeah I have a ton of stuff I want to do as well including the CCW. I have a bunch of stuff I want to do to my TB before the end of the month since my Sar team was asked to be in a safety show and they want to showcase my truck since it is our mobile command post.

Mat isn't interested in HAM AT ALL lol....Granted he is really good at working the radio's and helps me out a bunch when I have a technical issue. I just need to do some regular maintenance on the truck before the first major snow fall this winter. I have put off a lot of stuff for the wedding.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Fire06 said:
Can we just not get along :rotfl::rotfl: Group hug time... Start with out me :raspberry::raspberry:

You my friend have officially confused me :biggrin:

Not get along? No...Never!!! We're one big happy family, and despite the few arguments we all have like a normal family does, we're all a pretty happy family!!!

Group hug? Sure!!! But you can't be excluded lol :raspberry:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I did not need the hug!!! You guys did ..:yes::yes: I saw it all happening how have that group hug right now and get along and do not deflect it to me:rotfl::rotfl::raspberry:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Fire06 said:
I did not need the hug!!! You guys did ..:yes::yes: I saw it all happening how have that group hug right now and get along and do not deflect it to me:rotfl::rotfl::raspberry:

But we are getting a long :yes:

I'm further confused.....and your getting a damn hug whether you like it or not

so there :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Voymom said:
But we are getting a long :yes:

I'm further confused.....and your getting a damn hug whether you like it or not

so there :raspberry: :raspberry: :raspberry:

Not so sure about that ... Have to check with the wife if I am allowed a hug from a GMTnationer or not :rotfl::rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Fire06 said:
Not so sure about that ... Have to check with the wife if I am allowed a hug from a GMTnationer or not :rotfl::rotfl:

I thought this was a group hug? So it wouldn't be a hug just from me :raspberry:

How about I hug her first....to put her mind at ease :rotfl:

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
Not to go all off subject here or anything.. but do any of you ham operator work on cb radios?? i drive truck and a good radio man is so hard to find.. i live in Sioux Falls S.D. and go to the seattle / protland are every week.. im willing to pay for any work you may do.. if not tell me off and to have a nice day... rolmao!!:raspberry:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
Not to go all off subject here or anything.. but do any of you ham operator work on cb radios?? i drive truck and a good radio man is so hard to find.. i live in Sioux Falls S.D. and go to the seattle / protland are every week.. im willing to pay for any work you may do.. if not tell me off and to have a nice day... rolmao!!:raspberry:
What kind of work on the CB do you need? I do installations and antenna tuning...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:

If all else fails....just give it a big ol' hug

With a sledge hammer :raspberry:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Voymom said:
And the lack of activity has really made me wonder if I should test up for my general or extra

At least get your General. It will get you on every band -- just not every portion of every band. You'll be able to utilize the entire spectrum with a General. I have not been in any rush to get my Extra because it will only give me a few KHz here or a couple MHz there... No biggy to Ziggy, so why worry? Maybe when I have more free time (Hahaha! I kill me!), I'll break out the Extra book and study it some more and take it. I have been happy with my General. I play around with PSK31 and do some voice QSO's on a few of the HF bands (I have an 80-40-20 OCF antenna), and I'm a spotter for my county. I'm also a member of our ARES group. We help with activities like nuclear disaster drills mostly, but we also volunteer at the fair every year in case any severe weather pops up.

Here's a link to the band plan in case anyone wants to know what freqs are available to each class of licensee.

Oh, no CW for me. I wish I knew it, but again, I don't have the time to devote to learning it.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
I haven't used my license in a long time (a really long time); but, I thought it might be interesting to compare Canadian and US licensing.

The Canadian:

Basic Qualification: an examination of 100 questions.

• access all amateur bands above 30 MHz
  • use a maximum of 250 watts DC transmitter input power
  • build and operate all station equipment, except for "home-made" transmitters
  • Basic with honours (80% or above score) - access to all amateur bands below 30 MHz
  • There is no Morse code requirement on this test.
Advanced Qualification: an examination of 50 questions.

• access all amateur bands below 30 MHz
  • use maximum transmitter power of 1000 watts DC input
  • build and operate transmitting equipment
  • establish repeaters and club stations
  • remotely control fixed stations, including the use of radio links
  • There is no Morse code requirement on this test.
Morse Code (5 wpm with Basic or Basic and Advanced Certificate):

• access to all amateur bands below 30 MHz

Just to give you an idea of how long it's been, I needed 30 wpm in Morse.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
U.S. Amateur Radio Licenses:

LEVEL 1: Technician Class License

Exam Requirement: 35-question Technician Written Exam (Element 2).
Privileges: All VHF/UHF Amateur bands (frequencies above 30 MHz).
Limited operations in certain HF bands.

LEVEL 2: General Class License

Exam Requirements: 35-question General written exam (Element 3).
License Privileges: All VHF/UHF Amateur bands and most
HF privileges (10 through 160 meters).

LEVEL 3: Extra Class License

Exam Requirement: 50-question Extra written exam (Element 4).
License Privileges: All Amateur band privileges.

No Morse Code for any license level. When you test for Tech and you have studied (or if you get lucky!), you can test all the way up to Extra in one session. Basically, if you pass Tech, you get offered General and if you pass General, you get offered Extra. Generally $15 to test.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
djthumper said:
What kind of work on the CB do you need? I do installations and antenna tuning...

well i have 2.. the one im using now is a galaxy 959 and can get to about 5 to 9 miles in the range.. i would like it to be around 20 miles or more.. it's had a clip and tune done to it and antenna tuning as well.. but my big radio is a cobra LTD 29.. had that worked on out in Paulsboro NJ. about 5 yrs ago.. not sure what happened to it but everytime i plug it in it's blows my main fuse in the fuse block.. not the inline one.. but that one it was posible to reach out and touch someone up to 50 miles away.. i really want that one fixed.. and before you go all off on the FCC rules .. i know them and it's a tad over powered :biggrin: and to be hones with ya i would like my galaxy to do the same thing.. not sure how ya feel about all this but ya know us truck drivers .. have to be the biggest kid on the block.. :raspberry:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
well i have 2.. the one im using now is a galaxy 959 and can get to about 5 to 9 miles in the range.. i would like it to be around 20 miles or more.. it's had a clip and tune done to it and antenna tuning as well.. but my big radio is a cobra LTD 29.. had that worked on out in Paulsboro NJ. about 5 yrs ago.. not sure what happened to it but everytime i plug it in it's blows my main fuse in the fuse block.. not the inline one.. but that one it was posible to reach out and touch someone up to 50 miles away.. i really want that one fixed.. and before you go all off on the FCC rules .. i know them and it's a tad over powered :biggrin: and to be hones with ya i would like my galaxy to do the same thing.. not sure how ya feel about all this but ya know us truck drivers .. have to be the biggest kid on the block.. :raspberry:
Where are you plugging it into? There could be a short in the plug if you are using a cigarette lighter plug. I am not a big fan of modding the CBs because a lot of times it causes splatter across the band. And everyone knows that the truckers that have their ham radio license have the best toys in their rigs. :wink: Especially the HF gear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online