Half baked paint idea

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
As I mentioned in my intro post, I have been wanting to find a way to make GM's Aqua Blue Metallic a little unique. Honestly, I don't know much about how painters achieve the effects that they do, but I was sitting behind a Toyota Rav4 the other day and admiring the Electric Storm Blue on it when I had an idea. Is there a way to thinly layer that color on top of the Aqua Blue Metallic so that it complements the base paint instead of overly blending with it? I remember hearing a painter talk about using a layer of clear between two colors to provide depth, but he didn't talk about how he blended the paints.

So I guess my question for anyone familiar with painting is: How feasible is my idea? Or, maybe a better question: Are there any painters that wouldn't mind me PMing them from time to time to bounce ideas off them?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
few drops of paint in the clear can tint it. Only bad thing isd that any paint work is not cheap these days.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
few drops of paint in the clear can tint it. Only bad thing isd that any paint work is not cheap these days.

Oh, I know. This will probably be a tax return type of upgrade and it is probably two years out realisticly speaking. I have too many other things that take priority as upgrades go and MANY, many more things that take priority in life, so I have time to bat this around and find the right color.

I used to have a local guy that I would stop by his shop and try to bounce ideas off of, but last time I went by his shop it was boarded up and shut down.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Is there a way to thinly layer that color on top of the Aqua Blue Metallic so that it complements the base paint instead of overly blending with it? I remember hearing a painter talk about using a layer of clear between two colors to provide depth, but he didn't talk about how he blended the paints.

So I guess my question for anyone familiar with painting is: How feasible is my idea? Or, maybe a better question: Are there any painters that wouldn't mind me PMing them from time to time to bounce ideas off them?

The two different layers of clear (or basecoat and semi-clear) are whats called a Tri-Coat, as seen here: https://www.paintscratch.com/touch-up-paint-directions/tricoat.htm

That is the basis behind most candy color paints that are custom sprayed.

Yes, you can spray another layer of clear on top of what you already have, you'll just have to have your current surface repaired of any dents/dings/rust/etc. and blended with a touch-up. Then lightly scuffed, cleaned, prepped, and layered with your new idea. A lot of work, and do not expect to hear any quote under $2,500 from a reputable painter. My guess would be about $3,500 for an SUV. Possibly more.

If you really want to change things up, look into getting your truck wrapped. You can pick from thousands of colors and designs, and the final tally will be about 1/3 the cost of a new paintjob. You can also change the look simply by peeling the vinyl away (at a later time) and having it done again in a completely different color scheme.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got quoted about 1500 for wrapping my TB a couple years ago.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
I won't say I will never do a wrap, but that currently isn't my goal. There a few good looking wraps in my area and more that just look bad. Orange skin in paint is "bad" but at least you have to be up close to see it. Ripples and wrinkles in vinyl is a lot more obvious. Call me old school or stuck in the past, but finding that paint color you like and then paying to get it done shows a level of commitment to keeping your vehicle while wrapping just seems to be more of a 'disposable' option.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You must have some crappy wrap places around cause most of the ones I see using decent quality vinyl are quite nice. Lots of lifted show trucks do it and it seems every small business around me does as well. Looks just like paint. I just dont like when they only wrap portions and leave some paint exposed

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Places doing paint have to charge more because of everything they have to do to meet EPA standards and the hazardous waste. There is nothing wrong with a good paint job, it is a lost art, very few people can do it. A wrap can be done with the aid of a computer to complete the art work in a lot less time.

I would never do what you are wanting over old paint to enhance it, it would be uneven after sanding and prepping. I would do a fresh coat of the same color for a base color and then add to it.

Reactions: Capote and Reprise

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
Two clarifications:

First, after re-reading my comment about wraps, I feel some might take what I said as somehow snobbish. That isn't what I meant and is not how I feel about wraps.

Second, this will not be over existing paint. I currently have the factory Gray Metallic. After some body work to correct some dings and deep scratches as well as a few minor body upgrades (bumper covers and a hood w/scoops), I will get it sprayed (again, a couple years down the road). And I will strip out my interior so they can do a proper 'door jams included' spray.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Jumping in here b/c I took a look at the colors the OP listed, and figured I'd throw in my thoughts (whether requested or not...lol)

I'm not a painter by trade, but I'm seeing GM 'Aqua Blue Metallic' and 'a few drops' of Toyota 'Electric Storm Blue' not playing very well together, based on how much green base is in the Aqua Blue (personally, I kinda like GM's 'Ultra Blue' that apparently replaced 'Aqua', a lot better - but I prefer a deeper (not 'darker') blue to a greenish one, JMHO). Admittedly, I don't think I've ever seen an Aqua Blue Camaro in person; maybe I would like the color better if I had (I've seen plenty of Ultra Blue Camaros - nice looking (and one of the better colors for the current Camaro) - but it doesn't trip my trigger in the same way as a color I mention below.)

If you're really taken with 'Electric Storm Blue' (and it's a nice color, I'll admit) ... take a look at a Honda color called "Fiji Blue Pearl" Pictures really don't do the color justice - it has to be seen in person. It was a blend that was on the Civic Si two generations ago for a bit; looks like it was brought back recently. Personally, I like it enough that if they had put it on the Accord, I'd trade yet again, and I wouldn't care how much I was raped on the trade to do it.

Another color they have that I like is 'Still Night Pearl' - this one is a bit darker, with some very faint indigo (?) tinges. It's not classified as a 'color shift' paint, but it does behave that way. It was available on Accord coupes a couple of years ago - looked really nice, but not enough to get out of the sedan for. Didn't 'speak to me' the way that the Fiji Blue Pearl (still) does.

BuffettTruck

Original poster
May 2, 2018
Florida
The only vehicles I have seen around here with the Aqua Blue Metallic are HHRs and Canyons/Colorados. I will try to keep an eye out for the Honda color. I actually prefer the Aqua over the Electric Storm, but the Electric Storm was nice. What ever final color I choose will be indicative of the Carribean Ocean, which has many shades of blue depending on where you are.

Edit: And yes, there is the actual Carribean Blue, but I would feel a bit like a douche whenever the song came on. I like the song enough to put it on my thumb drive, but not that much!

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.