Had to create an account to officially swap and thank you all!!!!!!!!!!!!

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Hello all! My name is Mike (screen name Michigander Mike on TV; Got a PM to switch over shortly after signing up on TV, so here I am.), 27 years old with a beautiful wife (out of my league, not sure what happened), and 3 insanely full of life children ages 2, 4, and 5. We live in lower Michigan and just purchased a 05 TB about 2 months ago. We were deceived on the condition of the truck but thanks to this site, it has oddly been a fun challenge instead of a financial nightmare! I have VERY basic understanding of mechanics/working on cars but thanks to this site I have already fixed several things myself including putting on a new wheel bearing yesterday!! :thumbsup:

Instead of replacing fan clutch with another mechanical one that will probably last 50k miles tops, Im waiting on the new PnP kit coming out from PCMFORLESS. (which is less than what you would pay for a stealership to replace it with a new belt driven one or a little more than what it would cost you to replace it with a new belt driven one yourself). With the HP and MPG gains and the worry free of it ever going out again, seemed like a no brainer!!

Also ordered a TUNE and the battery cable upgrade kit from PCMFORLESS with money saved already.

Now, Im just waiting for my uncle to get it in to his shop on the frame rack to straighten the bar that supports the bumper/radiator. Like I said, we were deceived and told it was properly repaired after a small accident but after further inspection we found some small hidden damage that wasnt "properly fixed". Its not really a big deal but slightly affects how the bumper and even more importantly the radiator fits/lines up, so Im having it made right and then replacing the radiator to be safe. It needs a new water pump and thermostat housing too, so Im just doing them all at once myself once frame/bar is fixed. I already have all the parts just waiting on uncle to get it in. just months ago I would never have even thought of undertaking such a challenge!!!!! :biggrin:

THANK YOU SO MUCH TO THE COMMUNITY AND ESPECIALLY ALL OF YOU THAT TAKE THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE!!!!!

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
The grass is much greener without a doubt. Welcome.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Busterbrown said:
The grass is much greener without a doubt. Welcome.

I wouldn't quite say that...usually the grass is greener because they used more shit to fertilize it:wink:

Welcome aboard!!

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
lol.....thanks for the warm welcome!

Forgot to mention i have owned GM vehicles all my life, am very familiar with almost all makes and models, but did let my guard down by not researching the gmt platform at all before buying one. That was a slightly costly mistake but again, thanks to this site and its fantastic members, we love our TB!!!! :thumbsup:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Welcome to the nation!

If you're not aware the thermostat housing is an integral part of the thermostat itself. You replace the whole thing as one assembly. I have my old one and will try to grab a shot and post it here.

T-Stat assembly. Actual thermostat is at left end.
View attachment 19088

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 4

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Glad to have ya!

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Mark20 said:
Welcome to the nation!

If you're not aware the thermostat housing is an integral part of the thermostat itself. You replace the whole thing as one assembly. I have my old one and will try to grab a shot and post it here.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes and yes, I am aware of the thermostat being replaced as a whole housing unit, but thanks for the heads up! I read threw dozens of threads and articles totaling hundreds of posts on both sites, many pertaining to questions I myself had and some just to see what other problems others have and what the solution was for them, in case I run into that next. :tongue:

I understand the purpose of "Stickies" and will try not to ask many already answered questions! :thumbsup:

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I nearly peed myself at your name Short Bus! :rotfl:

I "got it" even before reading the "Explain your name" thread......hehe

MedicatedMike

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Mark20 said:
Welcome to the nation!

T-Stat assembly. Actual thermostat is at left end.
View attachment 4395

Hey Mark, is that pic of a T-stat that was bad and stuck open? I noticed my new one, the therm is all the way down. Im pretty sure its supposed to be closed like that until proper temps and that these actually usually fail in the stuck open position (which is better than stuck closed, i know. :tongue:), but just wanted to make sure. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
welcome over :tiphat:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online