Had some body work done on my wife...'s TB!

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
A few weeks ago when installing her LED Tails, I noticed some rust on her tailgate that I didn't see before.
4870-img-20120218-142755.jpg

And she had an ugly white stripe on her passenger door moldings.
4871-img-20120201-114131.jpg

She also needed some mechanical work done too.
The body shop wanted the truck for three days, and the mech shop wanted it for two days.
Perfect! I rented her some stupid Ford Fusion for the week, and booked the work.

Here is what the body work looks like.
4874-100-0933.jpg

4872-100-0928.jpg

4873-100-0930.jpg

The auto garage repaired the following;
- All four shocks with Dealership AC Delco rebranded Bilsteins. (comforts)
- Rear sway bar bushings
- Rear sway bar endlinks
- Front sway bar bushings
- Front sway bar endlinks
- Both front strut mounts
- Both lower control arms brackets
- Ball Joints
- Tie Rod ends.

All in all it ended up costing me a little over $3k for all the work to be done, but the truck looks better and it's much safer on the HWY's.

The worst part is that the wife liked the stupid FORD!!!!
So much so that she went the dealership and got a price quote for a 2012!
SO I dump $3k into her TB and now she wants a FORD???
ARGGGGG!

Actually, I did some quick math. Typically I spend over $2k/month in gas for her and I to drive our trucks. She drove that ford over 950kms on $75 of fuel last week. Less than half of what the fuel usage of her TB would have been.
So If I bought her the new ford, the $ saved in gas spending would be enough to cover the car payments and give me some $ back in my pocket every month.

It's gonna be a tough call for her...
Personally I don't care about the $, it's about what she wants. :yes:
I told her to wait until the summer and see what her TB looks like with the 20's on it. :crazy:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Vultures are already circling... And include me in that! Think those rims might look good on the X..

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Vultures are already circling... And include me in that! Think those rims might look good on the X..

Add another vulture in the mix.....:crackup: just kidding

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I was thinking she might be a bit fickle, but then I saw you have two of the GMTs. Probably you don't BOTH have a mission that requires you to have one instantly available - one in a family is usually enough. And the troubleshooting benefit of being able to swap parts is lost if you're a take-it-to-the-dealer kind of owner. So carry on - I promise to not mock you. :raspberry:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Bummer, I never seem to hear anything bad about the fusion as much as I hate small cars. Should have got a Crown Victoria as a rental like we did (not on purpose) on our Arizona Vacation last month. I can guarantee she would have happily welcomed the TB back. The Crown Vic has all the best technology the 1980's had to offer.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
maybe you can talk her into a Malibu to keep it in the GM family.

My wife and I were "window shopping" the other day. It was raining off and on and we stopped at our local GM dealer. I had been thinking a Cruze might be nice but we decided it might be a little small for us. We thought about the Malibu but it was raining so we didn't get out.
We ended up going back to the used lot where I got my TB originally. They were really good to work with before and I would buy through them again if they had the right vehicle/price. Anyway, to make a long story short, that dealer carries lots of fleet style cars where many are less than a year old with really low mileage.

My wife's favorite car on the lot was a Fusion :-( We aren't planning to do anything before maybe the fall sales but when you see a car with 4500 miles on it for 5-6k off of the new list price it does get you thinking....

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:
maybe you can talk her into a Malibu to keep it in the GM family.

My wife and I were "window shopping" the other day. It was raining off and on and we stopped at our local GM dealer. I had been thinking a Cruze might be nice but we decided it might be a little small for us. We thought about the Malibu but it was raining so we didn't get out.
We ended up going back to the used lot where I got my TB originally. They were really good to work with before and I would buy through them again if they had the right vehicle/price. Anyway, to make a long story short, that dealer carries lots of fleet style cars where many are less than a year old with really low mileage.

My wife's favorite car on the lot was a Fusion :-( We aren't planning to do anything before maybe the fall sales but when you see a car with 4500 miles on it for 5-6k off of the new list price it does get you thinking....

I saw a commercial yesterday for a new model, small Buick and it looked really nice. Don't know anything about it other that it looked like the LaCrosse which I have driven for extended periods of time and is a nice GM.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
06Envoy said:
Actually, I did some quick math. Typically I spend over $2k/month in gas for her and I to drive our trucks. She drove that ford over 950kms on $75 of fuel last week. Less than half of what the fuel usage of her TB would have been.
So If I bought her the new ford, the $ saved in gas spending would be enough to cover the car payments and give me some $ back in my pocket every month.

But you are forgetting one critically important thing...

The cost of the vehicle itself.

Do you have payments on the TB?
If so, how much do you still owe, and how much are the payments a month? How much would your payments be on the car?
If not, well, you own the TB, so how much would you be paying for the car?

$20,000 is a huge amount of gasoline for the one TB.

How do you spend $2k a month in gas though? I thought I drove a lot (I have put 43k on my TB in 1.5 years) but even then my average gas bill has been no higher than $375. Do you drive like 10k a month or something? :eek:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:

If so, how much do you still owe, and how much are the payments a month? How much would your payments be on the car?

How do you spend $2k a month in gas though? I thought I drove a lot (I have put 43k on my TB in 1.5 years) but even then my average gas bill has been no higher than $375. Do you drive like 10k a month or something? :eek:

I wondered on the mileage thing as well.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
2k a month in gas is about what I spent. I have had the truck for less than 60 days. At $80.00 dollars to fill it up and filling it up once a week it get's pricey. I have driven the truck 2k miles in the 45-50 days I have had it.

70x30 is 2100, so I can see it. I spend about $320-$350 a week in gas....

And i'm looking at paying close to three times as much this summer when gas prices go through the roof and when storm season gets here as I am a volunteer spotter for the NWS/NOAA and travel hundreds of miles a day through the entire state of Iowa

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Sparky said:

Yeah $2,000 a month on gas is crazy lol that is 7000miles saying your truck is getting 14mpg and gas is $4 a gallon. I personally think if your done paying off the tb then it might be a better move to get a hybrid or something like that for the wife if she drives so much which will save you a ton. Saying the new car gets a good 30mpg city then your saving about a good $1066 a month with that! Prob less since that 2k is with you driving also Im assuming! Keep the voy :biggrin: I beat she will like the chev cruze more then a ford! :yes:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yes, both of my trucks are paid for with no payments.
Yes, I would be making payments on the Fusion. ~$418 taxes in.

We live in the bush, about 30mins from town. Each trip to town is one hour round trip and is ~70kms.
I am a service man using my truck every day. On average I drive ~200kms a day.
My wife is an university student studying to become a nurse.
We have two boys who are turning into teenagers and have become involved in Navy League Cadets, Army Cadets, Soccer, YMCA, etc.
She averages about 3-4 trips into town per day.
She also drives about ~200kms per day.

That's about 6 fillups per week. At ~$100 per fillup, it gets over $2k per month easy.
That's for the both of us together mind you.
If I can cut her consumption by over a half, then I pay for the Fusion payments and I get $ back into my pocket each month.

BUT, she has to like what she drives.
Is she fickle? OH HELL YA!
Welcome to my world.
I'm here to make her happy though.
It's whatever she wants.

We have two GMT's because I bought hers first. I fell in love with the ride, comfort, etc. I spent 6 months trying to find a GMT 370 with a V8 that I liked. I finally found one and now we have two. :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have a friend that works for the Roush Testing ground in Michigan. Its where they test every new model year, or model, that Ford produces. They have had the least problems with the Fusion, over any car they have tested in the last 3 years. The trucks they have had the least problems with is the Escape, but everyone seems to complain about how small the tank is.

Personally, I am looking for a Taurus AWD, or Edge AWD, or something simalar. I think I am done with GM. Been burned to many times.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I have a friend that works for the Roush Testing ground in Michigan. Its where they test every new model year, or model, that Ford produces. They have had the least problems with the Fusion, over any car they have tested in the last 3 years. The trucks they have had the least problems with his the Escape, but everyone seems to complain about how small the tank is.

Personally, I am looking for a Taurus AWD, or Edge AWD, or something simalar. I think I am done with GM. Been burned to many times.

Noooo don't do it Toll..........don't give in :whiteflag: on GM

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
TexazReece said:
Noooo don't do it Toll..........don't give in :whiteflag: on GM

They arent out of the question. I just dont see anything that peeks my interest. I love the Edge. Drives great, good fuel mileage, good sound system, good road manners, love the Ford Jukebox system, and microsoft Sync.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
06Envoy said:
Yes, both of my trucks are paid for with no payments.
Yes, I would be making payments on the Fusion. ~$418 taxes in.

We live in the bush, about 30mins from town. Each trip to town is one hour round trip and is ~70kms.
I am a service man using my truck every day. On average I drive ~200kms a day.
My wife is an university student studying to become a nurse.
We have two boys who are turning into teenagers and have become involved in Navy League Cadets, Army Cadets, Soccer, YMCA, etc.
She averages about 3-4 trips into town per day.
She also drives about ~200kms per day.

That's about 6 fillups per week. At ~$100 per fillup, it gets over $2k per month easy.
That's for the both of us together mind you.
If I can cut her consumption by over a half, then I pay for the Fusion payments and I get $ back into my pocket each month.

BUT, she has to like what she drives.
Is she fickle? OH HELL YA!
Welcome to my world.
I'm here to make her happy though.
It's whatever she wants.

We have two GMT's because I bought hers first. I fell in love with the ride, comfort, etc. I spent 6 months trying to find a GMT 370 with a V8 that I liked. I finally found one and now we have two. :thumbsup:

Yikes, knowing that you are definitely a candidate for a 4 cylinder car. I'm thinking you'd be fine with a regular gas or diesel engine if thera any options out there and skip the hybrid if you aren't doing a lot of city driving. Good thing there are tons of websites out there to help you decide if a hybrid is worth it or not.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
2k a month in gas is about what I spent. I have had the truck for less than 60 days. At $80.00 dollars to fill it up and filling it up once a week it get's pricey. I have driven the truck 2k miles in the 45-50 days I have had it.

70x30 is 2100, so I can see it. I spend about $320-$350 a week in gas....

And i'm looking at paying close to three times as much this summer when gas prices go through the roof and when storm season gets here as I am a volunteer spotter for the NWS/NOAA and travel hundreds of miles a day through the entire state of Iowa

It may be time to turn the volunteer position into a paying position. I've gotta think all the spotters are thinking this.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I have a friend that works for the Roush Testing ground in Michigan. Its where they test every new model year, or model, that Ford produces. They have had the least problems with the Fusion, over any car they have tested in the last 3 years. The trucks they have had the least problems with is the Escape, but everyone seems to complain about how small the tank is.

Hey, thanks for that insight into the Fusion! I appreciate that! :thumbsup:
I havn't looked at that MS Sync thing yet, but my wife said it was awesome, she really liked it. AND it was the first bluetooth that she was able to sync with herself!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.