Gun rack mount in an EXT

PCPBrad

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
So I got this sweet deal on a Big Sky gun rack from a police vehicle in an government auction and was contemplating how I can make it work in my Trailblazer EXT. Really this is only good during hunting season because in SK, you can't carry your rifle to retrieve your game when you return with a quad. This would allow me the peace of mind in having a locking gun rack to store my gun when I go back for the animal. Besides, it was dirt cheap at auction.

My thought is though this was a roof mounted unit previously, I was considering bolting it to the back of the 3rd row seats. I figure if its to be a permanent mount, I don't want it in the way the other 6 months of the year that I am not actively hunting and the rear seat area provides the best "out of sight" option with the rear cover in place.

I have measured and I can fit not only my rifle, but my muzzleloader or shotgun on it, or use it to carry my 2 piece fishing rods so they are not sitting on the floor or even hang my compound bow's soft carry case from one of the hangers. I haven't checked the crossbow yet, but I am confident it can be made to work somehow. All equipment that I don't want loose or have on the floor.

My question is does anyone know what the 3rd row seat back is made of? It feels hard, but with the carpet in place, I can't tell if its metal or fibreglass and if I start drilling holes, will there be a chance that I can have a sharp point that sticks one of my kids if he sits down too hard into it. The other problem that presents itself is the fact the seat is a split folding set up. When we use it, we either have both 3rd row up or down, never 1 side folded alone.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else mounted a police style gun rack in a Trailblazer?

PCPBrad

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
So in update to the post I made last night.

I went out and was measuring and taking pictures this morning and figure the fact that the seats are split back would put strain on any screws or bolts I use to install the rack and over time it would strip out the holes and it would get progressively worse. Also, it would never be that secure for rifle storage.

The small covered storage in the floor makes a floor mount impossible unless I give up that useful space (I keep all my hitch equipment there - hitch, pin/lock, trailer straps, plug adaptor, etc).

So I am going to build a welded steel rack that fits behind the 3rd row seat and under the cargo cover that has the gun rack attached to the forward section of the frame. I will mount (bolt/weld) 2 rings through the floor and also onto the frame to allow me to use padlocks to make the frame secure. The rifle rack has electric locks that only work with the key on and is triggered by a hidden switch. The beauty is this will allow me to remove the entire device quickly with the turn of 2 keys and pulling a quick disconnect for the power wire if I need to haul larger items in my hatch.

This allows for secure storage of my gun, let other gear fit into the remaining space between the gun and hatch door and still let me access my hitch storage in the floor.

I will take pics of the build and post.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online