Grumbling on acceleration ?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
When accelerating there is a grumble / rumble noise I can hear ( sounds like a mild exhaust leak ) and feel in the gas pedal. Almost like riding rumble grooves on the shoulder on expressways just not as rough. Any ideas ?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Could be a bad u-joint, loose lug nuts, loose exhaust shield or loose baffles in the muffler or resonator.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
resonator is new , it was missing when I bought the car , muffler seems to be in good shape , its a wagner , lug nuts are all tight , the loose shield is a higher pitch , I would call a more tin-ny sound. this is a growl grumble. I though wheel bearings also , its that deeper rumble tone , but its only when I press the gas and I feel it in the pedal. while driving if I throw it in neutral and coast theres no noise , so wheel bearings are out. they will be changed shortly though , I need new ball joints and tie rods and will be doing new struts , control arms etc new in the nexts month. should there be ANY play at all in the drive shaft ? the front one where it connects to the tranny had the tiniest bit , I mean like maybe 1/32 if even that. I was thinking mounts also , I was under the car this weekend and see they look like a b!tch to get out. I also seen posts about rocks in the tranny mount ?!?!? my tranny mount is solid with no holes , am I missing something ?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
ive tried looking as best I can , its definitely flaking rust and sounds like an exhaust leak , the vibration feel in the pedal is whats getting me. the only time ive ever seen / felt / heard something similar was years ago a buddy bought a salvage title pathfinder , the repair wasn't don't correct at all , the engine was cockeyed and the exhaust was rubbing the fire wall

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you're not getting it at all in neutral I'd say it's the motor mounts. What's the mileage?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
I do get it in neutral when reving , only not as pronounced. if I don't rev the engine and coast theres no noise so it eliminates hubs as they're still turning 109K on the clock

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When it's cold do you get a vibration holding the brake in drive at a light or stop sign?

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I missed seeing a snow drift over the road back during the last major cold snap we had. Really took me by surprise and I drove the front bumper cover in far enough to break some plastic clips off. My accessory belt stopped turning and my lights went dim instantly, also my air intake likely filled with real fine snow dust. Never stalled and the belt started turning again soon after. Got home and left it for the night. Next morning it ran with a serious rumble/vibration and idled about as low as I've seen it. Figured the snow melted when I parked it and froze the air filter choking out the engine. Fine after that. Just my own experience noting a similar growl.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
minimal vibration in the brake pedal when cold , engine idle is good and steady trying to think of the best way to describe this and think I finnaly can. if you are in drive and power brake ( one foot on the gas and one on the brake ) , the vibration you feel in the gas pedal of the truck wanting to go....that's it almost same sound too... the rumble of the motor wanting to move and cant

haven't pulled the tb apart yet , but it will also be getting cleaned soon. I was getting a low oil pressure warning and dumped a bottle of lucas in a pinch and it went away , when I finanlly had time I changed the oil I put in a new delco sensor and cleaned the pigtail. oil that came out was normal , no sludge etc, wasn't black, had a generic filter on it , I used Valvoline high milage for now

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'd maybe take a look into testing the motor mounts then. There is a write up on here somewhere that alludes to how to check if they are on their way out. It kind of sounds like that may be it...

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Crap. Thanks for the input. GM really made one hell of an easy car to work on ..... smh. Guess I’ll be adding it to the list for when the front suspension is redone.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Crap. Thanks for the input. GM really made one hell of an easy car to work on ..... smh. Guess I’ll be adding it to the list for when the front suspension is redone.
They're really not bad to do. Separate the shock from the tower and upper control arm from ball joint and then it's the 3 bolts and retaining nut. Jack up the engine to separate. 2 hours tops I'd guess. Just make sure you check them out by watching the engine shake to make sure they're the problem.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
There is movement when I shift from drive to reverse which I think is more than normal. I may replace them as peace of mind along with the tranny mount. Any input into using oem hydraulic bs solid runner ? I see people go both ways on the subject

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Okay , quick follow up... the motor mounts seem okay but will still be replaced being that I am over 100k miles. The rumble is very bad when the engine is cold and it’s below 40 out cokder it is , louder much more noticeable ( whole truck vibrates ). Once the motors warm it’s much more mild. Imagine the sound of someone with a gas leaf blower in your yard and you’re in the house with the windows closed. I can’t figure this one out .....

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it possibly the power steering pump? This is known as morning sickness. The colder it is, the longer it lasts. Mine does it, haven't bothered with it and it still works.

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
nope. I actually had plans to do a fuild change and did it yesterday after seeing your suggestion power steering was black like oil , I exchanged a quart and a half using the turkey baster method and used lucas regular and a bottle of lucas conditioner , still a dark brown , ill change more out in the next week or two.

the noise/vibration is still bothering the heal outta me though , it was cold again this morning and had turn the radio up to be heard over this damn humming.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does the noise change with turning the steering wheel? Maybe the pump is completely done if the fluid was that black.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Easy way to eliminate the power steering pump would be to pull the belt off when it's cold and go for a very short quick drive and see if it's gone...

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
Ive never heard of a pump making a grumble noise and causing pedal vibration , but ill try without the belt. there is no high pitched whine , and only power steering strain noise when the wheel is at its max left / right

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online